already caught first blooper

edited April 2011 in Jurassic Park
well i've already caught the first blooper so to speak on the games preview trailer. it'st no ila nublar its isla(is-la) nublar. Joe Piney doesn't pronounce the s in isla he says ila instead. just thought i would point it out see how many of you caught it when watching the trailer of jp the game on the main telltale games website.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Mordaki987 wrote: »
    well i've already caught the first blooper so to speak on the games preview trailer. it'st no ila nublar its isla(is-la) nublar. Joe Piney doesn't pronounce the s in isla he says ila instead. just thought i would point it out see how many of you caught it when watching the trailer of jp the game on the main telltale games website.

Uh...not everybody speaks with a spanish accent. Even Hammond has referenced it as 'Ila' in either the first or second movie (I don't remember which). It's a matter of interpretation.
  • edited April 2011
    Isla Nublar (Spanish for "Cloudy Island") yes that may be true but i'm sure michael crichton as well as steven speilburg will tell you that it is pronounced isla(esla or however the pronunciation is spelled) i'm merely pointing out that it is being pronounced incorrectly. if it was wrong of me to do so i apologize.
  • edited April 2011
    Uh...not everybody speaks with a spanish accent. Even Hammond has referenced it as 'Ila' in either the first or second movie (I don't remember which). It's a matter of interpretation.

You don't type "Pitza" just because you spell it like that...
  • edited April 2011
    How do you pronounce "schedule"?

Sometimes it does just depend on the individual speaker and where they're from. I think "isla" is the same way. But either way, if La Esponja Grande taught us anything, it's that neither Telltale nor its characters actually speak Spanish.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah its not a blooper.
    Characters pronounce things wrong.

Mis-pronunciation in films/sound track is the audio equivalent of writers purposefully using incorrect grammar and spellings in dialogue to develop character.
  • edited April 2011
    Emo Hoe wrote: »

WTF of the day for your nick
  • TB3TB3
    edited April 2011
    John Hammond in TLW pronounced it as 'Ila Nubler' (silent s in Isla, neither syllable in Nublar stressed), which is the same pronounciation that I've always used (and the only commonality I have with Sir Dickie Attenborough is that I'm also British).

I've also heard it called 'Isla Nubler' by Billy in JP3 (no silent s, neither syllable in Nubler stressed) and 'Isla Nuublah' by Ed Regis in my old JP audiobook (no silent s, both syllables stressed) - I've always hated that last pronounciation for being 'unlovely' when rolling off the tounge, and the same with the 'Spanish' pronouciation of 'Isla' - I suspect this is my own language instincts kicking in, using the same first syllable for Isla as we would with 'Island'.

Personally, I think its a matter of preference or localisation - evidently Speilberg felt the same way as he didn't 'correct' Attenborough in TLW.
  • edited April 2011
    Mordaki987 wrote: »
    it'st no ila nublar its isla(is-la) nublar. Joe Piney doesn't pronounce the s in isla he says ila instead.

Haha, not to be rude, but, what a pointless thread. Telltale has obviously done research or they wouldnt have gotten the rights to BTTF and JP, which are two of the biggest, most successful movie trilogies of all time!!!

Go play Trespasser and listen to how John Hammond pronounces "Isla". Steven Spielberg was there all the time working on that game and i'm 99% sure that he knows what the island is called since the Jurassic Park universe was created by him and Crichton!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.