BTTF Episode 4 won't start on Wine

edited May 2011 in Game Support
Hi,

I realize this is not official way to run BTTF games but I had no problems running the previous episodes on Wine before.

After entering user/pass, the game changes resolution and then, nothing, it just crashes.

I tried a fresh wine prefix with d3dx9 and vcrun2005 on it, no dice.

I am hesitating looking into it myself for now because I already have plenty of linux games I can play currently.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Er, works here, on a system where I've previously installed and run the first 3 episodes, and it works just fine. Do you get an error? Do you see the menu screen, and it crashes when trying to launch the game proper, or does that not even start? What do you get if you try to launch the game from a terminal window?
  • edited May 2011
    I played through without any hitches with the same prefix I'd used for the rest of the BTTF games (as well as S&M season 3 and Tales). Did you install vcrun2005 or vcrun2005sp1?
  • edited May 2011
    Hm, I seem to be getting something possibly related after upgrading to Wine 1.3.19, or at least when I use the 'esound' audio driver. Unfortunately due to some change between 1.3.18 and 1.3.19, using the ALSA driver no longer seems to work correctly - the game plays (and in winecfg, the "Test Audio" button outputs a sound), but there's no audio. If I switch to the esound driver with Episode 3, I get (somewhat choppy) audio, but with Episode 4, I get a crash when using the esound driver. The menu pops up, but I get a crash dialog ("The program BackToTheFuture104.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close") when I try to launch the game proper (i.e., select "Episode 4" and click the big "Play" button). When run in a terminal window, I also get:
    err:mmdevapi:init_driver Failed to load driver: L"esd"
    err:mmdevapi:DllGetClassObject Driver initialization failed
    err:ole:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error 0x80004005
    err:ole:create_server class {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x7
    This sound card's driver does not support direct access
    The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
    This sound card's driver does not support direct access
    The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
    wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x0000003c at address 0x147798e (thread 0025), starting debugger...

I'd read something about a major sound driver rearchitecting as of the Wine 1.3.19 release; maybe that's what's up.

Edit: Okay, downgrading to Wine 1.3.18 packages seems to have cured my problem with the ALSA audio driver in Wine; I switched back to it, and Episode 4 runs a treat. So, that's my 2 cents' worth.

Edit 2: Also worth noting, no crash with Wine 1.3.18 + esound driver. It also runs correctly. So the problem is probably Wine 1.3.19. OP, see if you can downgrade to 1.3.18 (I assume you're running Ubuntu; check /var/cache/apt/packages for previous versions, and run 'sudo dpkg -i [oldwinepackage]' at a prompt to downgrade to the older package).
This discussion has been closed.