BTTF Ep. 4 keeps crashing my video card,black screen,objects flicker,colors (solved)

edited May 2011 in Game Support
I'm able to play through almost the entire episode before one specific section crashes my video card and I have to restart my computer to fix it. It's at the part after you've collected all the props for Trixie and you start the conversation with young Doc. Every time, right on cue my video card has a heart attack. I was able to circumvent it by turning the graphics settings to the very minimum. After that I can go back and put them back on max and play the rest of the episode just fine. I know it's not my system either, I can play most any current game just fine at high settings. I just beat Portal 2 last week with all of it's setting turned to high. Just thought I'd let you know.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Same thing happens here. I've had some serious Video Card problems myself. It sometimes screws up the display and then just seizes up. I've gotten several Blue Screens of Death Here (which I have NEVER gotten before with Windows 7). Is the file infected or something with a virus?
  • edited April 2011
    I've had minor graphical glitches here and there with each episode, but episode 4 gets really bad during the citizen plus escape scene. I literally can't tell what's going on during that part. It's then fine once you get outside.

I have a GTX 275 and run the game at 1920x1080 full screen, NVIDIA driver v266.58. I tried running it in windowed mode at a much lower resolution and that didn't change anything. It's not like Episode 4 is coming anywhere close to maxing out my GPU or anything.
  • edited April 2011
    It's doing the same to me - during the citizen plus escape, and talking to young doc just after he arrives at the expo - I also have an Nvidia GTX 275.

Never had a problem with a Telltale game before...
  • edited April 2011
    Hey guys,

I had the same issue. for what it's worth, I have a GTX 260. So yeah...same area.

I managed to fix the problem by changing the quality down to zero. I did that during the actual "graphic seizure" when objects seemed to loose their colors, turned to black, or just the entire screen went berserk.

I didn't try to change the settings BEFORE that point in the game, so I don't know if you should change them right in the middle of the actual seizure or not.

Either way, it helped me pass that point. It worked fine after that. Hope this helps.

EDIT: tobar, I noticed what you wrote after I posted. Good job on letting everyone know. I will rename thee thread (adding a "solved" on it). Hopefully this will prevent multiple unnecessary threads.
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for posting this, was having the same problem. I was able to get through the Citizen Plus escape scene by pausing and alt+tabbing, but the Edna/Emmet confrontation at the fair scene would always lock up just after she grabbed his personality card until I turned the graphics settings all the way down.
  • edited May 2011
    Had the same issue, even in one of the previous episodes of BTTF. Thanks for the tip, lowering the quality helped.:)
  • edited May 2011
    I had the same problem and your suggested fix worked for me as well, so thanks. I have a GeForce 8800 Ultra, so it's apparently not limited to the 200 series.
  • edited May 2011
    Nice - thanks for the tip. Not sure why I didn't try that before.
  • edited May 2011
    There is no need to turn ALL the graphic settings down to minimum, I've found that all you need to turn off to fix this problem is the shadows. I am running Windows 7 and a GeForce 250 GTS. I got the crazy black screen and flashes when I rescued Doc from the brainwashing room. I also got what you were describing at the High School. Turning the shadow quality all the way down fixed everything. On a side note, I really noticed no difference in quality to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.