Hector won't start (Mac)

edited June 2011 in Game Support
Hi guys,

I've installed Hector (dragged to Applications), but when I start it, I get a pop-up telling me that "the application Telltale Games quit unexpectedly". It gives me the option to Relaunch, and then the option to reset my application settings for Telltale Games and try Relaunching again, but it always just leads back to the same (initial) popup.

When I click on "Report..." I can access the "Problem Details", and it looks like there's some sort of linking problem (Symbol not found)... I've attached the full report at the bottom of this post.

For reference, I'm on a MacBook5,1, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, Mac OS X version 10.5.8.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Process: Hector101 [253]
Path: /Applications/Hector101.app/Contents/MacOS/Hector101
Identifier: com.telltalegames.Hector101
Version: ??? (1.0)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [67]

Interval Since Last Report: 545 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 7
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 23 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 6

Date/Time: 2011-04-30 17:33:05.511 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: DEBF2B41-F970-46E1-8CB9-7E8CC5534C31

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: __ZSt16__ostream_insertIcSt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIT_T0_ES6_PKS3_i
Referenced from: /Applications/Hector101.app/Contents/MacOS/Hector101
Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Any ideas what might be going on here? Is it simply a case of having to upgrade to a newer version of Mac OS? Other recent TT games (e.g. BTTF, Pokernight) run happily on my system...

Really would love to play Hector :)
  • edited May 2011
    I have the exact same problem. Can't get it to start on my iMac desktop.
  • edited May 2011
    Tikilights, do you get the same message in your error report? What version of OS X are you running?
  • edited May 2011
    Whenever I go to launch Hector it has an error in which it tells me to Ignore or Relaunch. Neither seem to let me open up Hector. What's the deal here I spent money on this to play it not for it to not even work at all.
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah I'm having the exact same problem... I'm not chuffed!
  • edited May 2011
    Here's some more guys with the same problem: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24810

Would really appreciate if someone at Telltale could acknowledge / give some advice!
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Thanks MusiCog, I merged up the two threads.

I would suggest that everyone with this issue post their system specs here (hardware configuration / OS, as detailed as possible) so that the Telltale support people can look for the commonalities when they get round to this thread.

It might also be helpful to send an email to support@telltalegames.com with details of the problem and a link to this thread - that way you'll at least get in the support queue.
  • edited May 2011
    I've sent an email to support@telltalegames.com with a description of the problem, and a link to this thread, as puzzlebox suggested. I'll keep you guys updated -- hopefully, we'll all be playing Hector soon!
  • edited May 2011
    thanks for merging all the threads together. yeah i had the expectations of playing Hector right away. hopefully someone debugs or fixes this problem asap. let me know any details if you get any.
  • edited May 2011
    Same problem here - although I get a blank screen (with the title "Back to the future game" - what´s up with that?) with the words "loading..." on it, but nothing else happens.

Got a tip to press CMD + SHIFT + "+", to deactivate, and then CMD + SHIFT + "-" to delete login settings - but that didn´t help either...
  • edited June 2011
    All I see is a red window with the title Back to the Future... Any update on this topic?
  • edited June 2011
    It looks like there are fixes for both of these problems:

"The game crashes immediately or presents an ignore, re-launch message and then crashes. This is because the game is not compatible with Mac OS 10.5.8. (Leopard). OS 10.6 (Snow leopard) is supported" and I understand that updating from 10.5 to 10.6 is a free update from Apple.

" If the game launches to a black screen with some text at the top like 'Back to the future' or 'Telltale Presents' ... Offline activation does not work. You need to be connected to the internet the first time you launch the game to get around this."
  • edited June 2011
    Frostbyte wrote: »
    It looks like there are fixes for both of these problems:

"The game crashes immediately or presents an ignore, re-launch message and then crashes. This is because the game is not compatible with Mac OS 10.5.8. (Leopard). OS 10.6 (Snow leopard) is supported" and I understand that updating from 10.5 to 10.6 is a free update from Apple.

" If the game launches to a black screen with some text at the top like 'Back to the future' or 'Telltale Presents' ... Offline activation does not work. You need to be connected to the internet the first time you launch the game to get around this."

Updating from 10.5 (Leopard) to 10.6 (Snow Leopard) costs thirty bucks. Yeah, Apple makes you buy it.

Just an FYI.
This discussion has been closed.