only plothole im concerned about

So anyway, i've always been pretty forgiving with plot holes as far as back to the future goes, i mean, its time travelling teories are pretty flawed in many ways, but that's not really what is important here, it makes sense in its own world most of the time and if it dosn't, its not really a big deal, so i never really cared.

But this time arround im kinda concerned about one specific issue with the logic of time travelling, and i wanted to see if anyone had some sort of explanation. And that is the fact than Marty dosn't change when they time travel to a different timeline. First off, this happened in the movies too, when they went to the Hill Valley ruled by Biff, Marty didn't changed into his version on this reality, but what i assumed here is than time travelers just didn't change, and that was cool. But now im concerned because Doc DID change into his version of the current timeline in Citizen Brown while Marty didn't... why did that happened?, the Marty of the Citizen Brown timeline should be a nerdy do-goody citizen... so why did the doc change and Marty didn't?...

The only explanation i could think of is than Doc had such a BIG change in this timeline than reallity forced him to change... but Marty also had a really big change, he was supposedly totally different here too. But i think the most valid reason would be than doc was too important for the development of this timeline, so the timestream kind of pushed him away to make place to the new citizen brown... but that's still pretty weak on my book, does anyone else have a better explanation?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    This has been discussed a lot. Telltale's official explanation is that the Doc who was with Marty was over 90, and since he doesn't live that long in the FCB timeline, he vanishes, much like Old Biff does in the BTTF2 deleted scene.
  • edited May 2011
    ohh i get it!, that actually makes sense, since the real doc lived a lot of time in the old west and all, the citizen brown doc is actually a lot younger. K, awesome, thanks for clarifying that!
  • edited May 2011
    Time travel in Back to the Future isn't without paradoxes but given how time works like a ripple effect, there could be a good explanation for Marty.

Doc faded from existence because time was altered so that he didn't build a time machine and get the rejuvenation treatment in the future. But it is seen that time ripples slowly. The flux capacitor was the only thing not erased by time in doc's notebook as FCB still had the possible inspiration for it and could still exist in the future.

However given enough time, Marty and the DeLorean could have been erased as well. However their appearance in the past might have stayed because of their influence in the past. (If they disappeared in the past, then the future wouldn't be changed, and time would have fixed itself up to the point where Doc invents time travel causing and infinite loop where they eventually fade from existence.)

It's probably what would have happened to Doc and Marty in Biff's alternate 1985, both of them and the DeLorean would have faded away. (But Biff's influence in the past stays, despite he fades out when he gets to the future.)
  • edited May 2011
    doggans wrote: »
    This has been discussed a lot. Telltale's official explanation is that the Doc who was with Marty was over 90, and since he doesn't live that long in the FCB timeline, he vanishes, much like Old Biff does in the BTTF2 deleted scene.

Where Telltale do have said that? :confused:
  • edited May 2011
    The_Ripper wrote: »

Right here.
  • The_Ripper wrote: »

if you search my posts, i was the first one to post this and created a thread called 'major plot hole' or something like that and got an official telltale response.
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks to both. It's curious... Telltale speak about Doc bot not about Einstein. He is so old too? I doubt it.
  • edited May 2011
    "Thanks to both. It's curious... Telltale speak about Doc bot not about Einstein. He is so old too? I doubt it."

Yep he's old.

He's old because he was put in a suspended animation kennel in 2015 when doc was getting info about Marty and Jennifer's family future. Having been with Doc long after he revisted Marty in the timetrain to introduce his kids, I wouldn't be suprised if he hasn't put him back in S.A a few times. But yeah soon as the timeline erased those events on arriving in Citzen+ Hill Valley, he and Doc vanished.
  • edited May 2011
    It's likely that Doc got Einstein the same treatments that he got. Probably got sad and tired of buying a new dog every 15 years or so.
  • edited May 2011
    daeva0123 wrote: »
    "Thanks to both. It's curious... Telltale speak about Doc bot not about Einstein. He is so old too? I doubt it."

Yep he's old.

He's old because he was put in a suspended animation kennel in 2015 when doc was getting info about Marty and Jennifer's family future. Having been with Doc long after he revisted Marty in the timetrain to introduce his kids, I wouldn't be suprised if he hasn't put him back in S.A a few times. But yeah soon as the timeline erased those events on arriving in Citzen+ Hill Valley, he and Doc vanished.

You're right, but when he was in the kennel it wasn't so much time. We don't know how much time have been with Doc and his family after picking him up back in 1985. Should it been years.
  • edited May 2011
    Einstein is a Time Lord
  • It's possible the einstein the game is a second dog but either way, Einstein did not age as much as doc; einstein wasn't with doc in the ten or so years doc was in the 1800s before building the time train. I'd say his life expectancy gets reduced in the FCB timeline simply because of ednas stance on dogs.
  • edited May 2011
    yeah I'd imagine that Doc may have just gone straight to the kennel in 2015 and got him out. I'd doubt with him having been alongside doc in his adventures since then (since docs kids are now teenagers) that he's had a natural dog lifespan though.

MJF is Canadian has a good point, if say Einey lived a few years beyond 1985 time travelling with doc, that means he'd technically last a few years to something like 1988-89. But in FCB1985 his chances of surviving are minimal because 1. he's a stray 2. Edna's on the hunt to have every dog disposed of 3. She eventually caught him in the end of ep 3.

Damn now I feel really bad for Einstein :(

Anyway - If it hasn't been answered already i'm sure it will in Ep 5.
  • SynSyn
    edited May 2011
    Face it, the effects of time travel in Back to the Future have directly conflicted with each other. Just accept any paradoxes as is and don't try to analyze it.

Even in Episode 4 we have a 'Doc' that never invented time travel yet there's still a time machine. And we still have a 'Doc' that never created time travel yet there's still a Clayton Ravine.

Just enjoy the ride and throw logic out the window.
  • edited May 2011
    Well it's Clayton Ravine BECAUSE he never invented Time Travel. The events of BTTF3 changed it to Eastwood Ravine. Clara was supposed to fall in. Instead everyone thinks Marty did.
  • edited May 2011
    Syn wrote: »
    Face it, the effects of time travel in Back to the Future have directly conflicted with each other. Just accept any paradoxes as is and don't try to analyze it.

Even in Episode 4 we have a 'Doc' that never invented time travel yet there's still a time machine. And we still have a 'Doc' that never created time travel yet there's still a Clayton Ravine.

Just enjoy the ride and throw logic out the window.
    Yet there's still?

Perhaps you should have tried paying more attention to the third movie. It was the LACK of time travel that resulted in the name Clayton Ravine. Without any time travel 1885 would have reverted to pre-Brown/McFly interference and poor Clara would have died.
  • edited May 2011
    Kyronea wrote: »
    Yet there's still?

Perhaps you should have tried paying more attention to the third movie. It was the LACK of time travel that resulted in the name Clayton Ravine. Without any time travel 1885 would have reverted to pre-Brown/McFly interference and poor Clara would have died.

Kind of a crummy way to die too, all because a snake spooked the horses attached to her wagon.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.