Could a paradox be THAT bad?

I've been thinking about this for a while: Do you think a paradox could really destroy the universe like Doc said?

Because we've had so many paradoxes already - if it involves stopping someone's birth or someone dying, then they fade out until the problem is fixed, or if they jump ahead through time they fade out very quickly (like Doc in the game and Biff in part 2).

Not to mention the paradox that should be caused by Doc not inventing the time machine in the FCB timeline. That didn't seem to do much damage outside of some of the parts FCB needed to re-invent.

I'm starting to think that the ripple effect just fades out and changes anything that was changed in the past, which will result in a new timeline. But if there ever is a paradox, then it is just faded out to make way for the new timeline, but it won't cause a universe shattering.

What do you think? Was Doc wrong, or am I?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Doc doesnt know what a paradox would cause, and he doesnt want to find out either.
    But you are right, there are a lot of paradoxes already.
    And fading away doesnt really solve them either, because if you never existed you couldnt have screwed it up in the first place = back to paradox
  • edited May 2011
    Doc said a paradox could destroy the universe as we know it.

And indeed: their (kn)own universe is now replaced by the FCB-universe.
  • edited May 2011
    destroy the universe = "crash" the universe
  • edited May 2011
    The time machine didn't vanish because of three reasons: 1) The components that were used were still obviously available, with the exception of the Mr. Fusion and hover components(which haven't been active since Marty's arrival in FCB 1986); 2) The IDEA for the flux capacitor was still there. Emmett merely interpreted his dream/vision wrong on November 5, 1955; 3) The DeLorean itself is a temporal duplicate of the original, and no longer subject to the same rules as the original time machine. That's probably why the time travels to 1931 are still in place, while the time travels taken in the original DeLorean have obviously not happened. This might also explain why most of the components of the time machine stayed intact, beyond Marty's damage by wrecking it into a billboard.
  • edited May 2011
    Doc only said destroy the universe "as we know it" in the game. In the movies he said that it would destroy the universe, but hopefully would only be limited to our galaxy.
  • jwalker30 wrote: »
    Doc only said destroy the universe "as we know it" in the game. In the movies he said that it would destroy the universe, but hopefully would only be limited to our galaxy.

actually the key is Could. Doc never said it Would destroy the universe, that was a worst case scenario.

Best case scenario is that a new timeline gets created and the universe moves on.
  • edited May 2011
    I always have put time paradoxes in this list i got it from an episode of Star Trek Voyager Future's End from season 3 where they meet the Old aged Captain braxton, and he talks about temporal paradoxes A=B=C=A meaning A= Doc goes back in time to 1931, B, Marty goes to save him, C, They attempt to fix any abnormalities in time and head back to 1986, but Young emmet doesn't follow his path, so ends up in FCB 1986 which leads to going back to 1931 to fix the time error which leads back to the original A once the damage is repaired.
    So that's what I think the official outcome will be, that after episode 5 is said and done, they'll be right back in 1986, the original doc and marty, while that sale is going on on his estate lol
  • edited May 2011
    The time machine didn't vanish because of three reasons: 1) The components that were used were still obviously available, with the exception of the Mr. Fusion and hover components(which haven't been active since Marty's arrival in FCB 1986); 2) The IDEA for the flux capacitor was still there. Emmett merely interpreted his dream/vision wrong on November 5, 1955; 3) The DeLorean itself is a temporal duplicate of the original, and no longer subject to the same rules as the original time machine. That's probably why the time travels to 1931 are still in place, while the time travels taken in the original DeLorean have obviously not happened. This might also explain why most of the components of the time machine stayed intact, beyond Marty's damage by wrecking it into a billboard.

The only part of your explanation that makes any sense is #3. If the other two were to be true, Doc Brown would still be in episode 4 because the components to do his surgeries were still available, and the IDEA for him to not die would also still be there.
  • edited May 2011
    Stop thinking about time paradoxes. Because they would exist, time travel is impossible.

BACK TO THE FUTURE IS INVALID!

Or, just suspend your disbelief and don't think about how the sci fi doesn't follow theoretical science to a T.
  • edited May 2011
    I don't really understand in quantum theory their are infinite yet finite vibrations tied to every observation/ action. To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction, and
    wiki wrote:
    The law of conservation of mass, also known as the principle of mass/matter conservation, states that the mass of a closed system (in the sense of a completely isolated system) will remain constant over time. This principal is equivalent to the conservation of energy, in the sense when energy or mass is enclosed in a system and none is allowed in or out, its quantity cannot otherwise change (hence, its quantity is "conserved"). The mass of an isolated system cannot be changed as a result of processes acting inside the system. The law implies that mass cannot be created or destroyed, although it may be rearranged in space and changed into different types of particles; and that for any chemical process in a closed system, the mass of the reactants must equal the mass of the products.

Actually their are several several theories, and philosophies , where I truly don't understand how a paradox is actually possible.

I think Einsteins theory of relativity also suggests against paradoxes, at least against something that the universe couldn't handle.

LOL, it's such a linear concept of time in these entertainment things.

These paradoxes most if not ALL of them are nothing more than clever thought experiments.

Still don't take BTTF as scientific law, it's purely a fun family scifi film.
  • edited May 2011
    That depends on if you like this song, a paradox would cause this music to be played 24/7 for the rest of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSqTZCy_Uvo
  • edited May 2011
    The only part of your explanation that makes any sense is #3. If the other two were to be true, Doc Brown would still be in episode 4 because the components to do his surgeries were still available, and the IDEA for him to not die would also still be there.

I think an idea or possiblity for something to exist is a lot more complicated if its a person. The idea for life rejuvination may exist, but in the FCB timeline is it going to be even legal in their screwed up 1984 world? Edna may ban it due to it being unnatural or it wasn't even made because science had been manipulated for more "higher purposes". Another thing regarding whether FCB himself may possibly get round to doing it, is doubtful in itself since he's living with a deranged megolomaniac who would have either a.) killed him off and assumed control or b.) do exactly what she was doing near the end of Citizen Brown and beginning of double visions - flushing out any ability to function as an individual and brainwash him into a servant. Maybe marty's appearing in the timeline simply allowed that to happen sooner, like the engagement ring in the 4th ep.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.