Please help, I can't run BttF and Hector

edited May 2011 in Game Support
Hi,

I'm having trouble running both Back to the Future Episode 4 and Hector. When I installed and ran BttF Ep. 4 I get an error message (via Vista 32-bit) telling me that the file fmodex.dll is missing. The strange thing is that I can't play Episode 3 now either, despite having completed it just the other week, where it worked perfectly.

I noticed similar threads elsewhere and one solution seems to be to run the DirectX updater but my PC is offline only so I'm unable to run the online only DirectX updater. Could somebody please point me in the direction of an DirectX installer with the necessary files for BttF Episode 4 that I can download to a USB stick and run on my offline PC.

Many thanks,

Ed

Comments

• edited May 2011
    UPDATE: I've just found out that I am no longer able to run a load of Telltale games, ones that I've played through to completion in the past...

Episodes 1-3 of Back to the Future and Puzzle Agent no longer run, despite them running without problem in the past. The Devil's Playhouse and Monkey Island still work however.

Below is the error message I'm getting...
    w18c8x.jpg

Please help, this is driving me mad.
  • edited May 2011
    is their a problem with your video driver?
  • edited May 2011
    If you look at the error message image he pasted, it specifically mentions fmodex.dll (the F-Mod EX audio library). Perhaps something installed a newer/older version in %windir%\System32 (or somewhere in the search path) that's not fully ABI compatible with the versions the games in question require? AFAIK all of Telltale's titles always install it in the game dir, so maybe another app did it. Try running:
    cd %windir%
    dir /s fmodex.dll

in a CMD window, and see if it finds anything? Are there any non-Telltale titles you've installed between when the Telltale titles were working, and when they stopped?
  • edited May 2011
    Hey,
    many thanks for the responses. The solution turned out to be embarrassingly simple; I recently moved my PC and had forgotten to plug in my speakers. Apparently certain programmes will not run unless an audio output is present.

Boy, do I have egg on my face. Still, perhaps this thread will prove useful to others with the same problem.
This discussion has been closed.