Sam and Max Season 1 won't start

edited June 2011 in Game Support
(I sent an e-mail earlier about the issue, and I got the automated response, with issue code 'issue-48802' but no followup, so I'm reposting my e-mail

"Hello, I recently purchased "Sam and Max: Season One" from Steam, and none of Episodes 101, 102, and 105 (all the episodes which I have downloaded and tested) will launch.

I followed the instructions in the post http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=466181&postcount=3
including:
Replacing the video setting file
updating my Graphics drivers
Running the game under Selective startup with no Microsoft Services
Disabling AVG before launching game"

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Do you get any Error Message while trying to launch an Episode?

Also, please post a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited June 2011
    No error message; Steam gives me a standard "Preparing to launch" message box which fades about a second later.

The process exists in Task Manager for about 10 seconds before disappearing.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Emergence wrote: »
    No error message; Steam gives me a standard "Preparing to launch" message box which fades about a second later.

The process exists in Task Manager for about 10 seconds before disappearing.

Do you have LUA for Windows installed?
  • edited June 2011
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Do you have LUA for Windows installed?

Indeed I do.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Indeed I do.

The environment variable LUA_PATH conflicts with the games. Removing it should solve you problem.
  • edited June 2011
    Thank you, that solved the problem. Is this conflict documented anywhere? I spent some amount of time trying to troubleshoot it myself before asking about it. (Difficult to do without a error message)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Thank you, that solved the problem. Is this conflict documented anywhere? I spent some amount of time trying to troubleshoot it myself before asking about it. (Difficult to do without a error message)

Thanks for the hint. I added it to the support FAQ thread.
    It was only mentioned in some threads in the Forum before.
This discussion has been closed.