The Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park. What could be the night hunter?

edited August 2011 in Jurassic Park
This is the original list of dinosaurs including in the film of Spielberg.

15 Dinosaurs.

- Brachiosaurus
- Dilophosaurus
- Gallimimus
- Triceratops
- Tyrannosaurus Rex
- Velociraptor
- Parasaurolophus
- Metriacanthosaurus
- Proceratosaurus
- Herrerasaurus
- Stegosaurus
- Baryonyx
- Segisaurus
- Pteranodon
- Compsognathus

This is the original list of dinosaurs including in the novel of Michael Crichton.

18 Dinosaurs.

- Tyrannosaurus Rex
- Velociraptor
- Dilophosaurus
- Apatosaurus
- Hadrosaurus
- Maiasaura
- Stegosaurus
- Triceratops
- Procompsognathus
- Styracosaurus
- Hypsilophodon
- Othnielia
- Ankylosaurus
- Microceratops
- Cearadactylus
- Ornithosuchus
- Coelurus
- Euplocephalus

OK, What could be the night hunter?. Many people think that the hunter is the Troodon but is it true?. This dinosaur did not appear in the list of the movie or the novel.

If you look at the video of game and the Dilophosaurus history we think it will be a hunter fast, agile, mid-size to hide in the bushes and frightening as it is able to frighten and to flee to the Dilophosaurus.

Jurassic-Park-3.jpg

In this scene we see Velociraptos in the car of Dennis Nedry but Telltale that there is a new nocturnal hunter, it can not be Velociraptor.

Can then be Herrerasaurus?

8062-004-8779CA12.jpg
MG05.JPG

But if you look at the original map of the park we see this:

jptourmap.jpg

The predator that is closest to the area of ​​Dilophosaurus except for T-Rex is the Baryonyx but it is too big to hide in bushes so small unless you are their young but I doubt it's a nocturnal hunter.

Another is interesting or curious to know what color we will see Parasaurolophus, green as in the first film or brown as in the second.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    ...it's Troodon. Urm...it was revealed in one of the interviews. It can be a mystery since none of the evidence we have points to it.
  • edited June 2011
    Oh, did not know anything about that interview.

You know if they will be available Stegosaurus and Ankylosaurus for the game?. Are on the list but in the novel.

• edited June 2011
    JPFan wrote: »
    Oh, did not know anything about that interview.

You know if they will be available Stegosaurus and Ankylosaurus for the game?. Are on the list but in the novel.

It's been confirmed to be Troodon.

It's unknown what other dinosaurs other than the ones listed so far will be shown. Knowing what they've done so far with Troodon it's safe to say that "confirmed" list of species on Nublar from the movie is a guideline but not absolute truth (We could be in store for more unknown species, especially with some exclusive concept art of a certain aquatic species that will be shown later). As for anything with regards to the novels, only the movies were apart of the licensing deal for the game.
  • edited June 2011
    Troodon isn't proved to be poisionious, it most be ingen tempering with DNA like the Utahraptor apperance of the Velociraptors or how teeth appear to be on the pteradons in the third movie. People on other forums think it is a Sinoceratyrx(spelling fail)
  • edited June 2011
    Take a look at the 15 embryo species thread for more about this debate. Also, I don't believe that Ornithosuchus was a species in the Novel at all, And coelurus (coelurosaurus) was meant to be a joke by Crichton. It's kind of like the name panther to describe big cats, the species doesn't exist but the name describes a lot of animals in that group just like coelurosaurus describes a group of dinosaurs but isn't an individual dinosaur at all.
  • edited June 2011
    Troodon isn't proved to be poisionious, it most be ingen tempering with DNA like the Utahraptor apperance of the Velociraptors or how teeth appear to be on the pteradons in the third movie. People on other forums think it is a Sinoceratyrx(spelling fail)

SmorepionKid, I just love how some people call them Pteradons and not Pternodons because if you say Pteradons than it's actually politically correct because they are described as having teeth.
  • edited June 2011
    Neither is the Dilo in real life, it also didn't have the neck frill...

It's Troodon, I don't know why people think otherwise. It's been confirmed as such, don't try and speculate on a different dinosaur for it.
  • edited June 2011
    Neither is the Dilo in real life, it also didn't have the neck frill...

It's Troodon, I don't know what people think otherwise. It's been confirmed as such, don't try and speculate on a different dinosaur for it.

Precisely, Brachiosaurs wouldn't have stood on their hind legs, Pteranodons didn't have teeth, they've never found a complete Pachycephalosaurus fossil, and Spinosaurus most likely ate fish so yeah....Jurassic Park is not exactly something you could use in a paleontological debate. :/
  • edited June 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    Precisely, Brachiosaurs wouldn't have stood on their hind legs, Pteranodons didn't have teeth, they've never found a complete Pachycephalosaurus fossil, and Spinosaurus most likely ate fish so yeah....Jurassic Park is not exactly something you could use in a paleontological debate. :/

Don't forget the size of the raptors. They're actually smaller than what the make them to be in the film.
  • edited June 2011
    Don't forget the size of the raptors. They're actually smaller than what the make them to be in the film.

This is because they are Deinonychus.
    Crichton wrote the novel in 1989 and he used most of the scientific background about dinosaurs from Gregory Paul's Predatory Dinosaurs of the World (1988).
    In this book Paul classified Deinonychus antirrhopus as Velociraptor antirrhopus. That's the reason why Grant digs it up in Montana.
    (In fact only Deinonychus was found in the US and Velociraptor in the dessert of mongolia.)
    It is also mentioned in the book when Tim says that he knows Velociraptor and Deinonychus and gets corrected by Grant that Deinonychus is in fact a Velociraptor.

After the publication of Crichton's Jurassic Park scientists declared Paul's classification to be wrong. Deinonychus antirrhopus remained a similar but different species than Velociraptor mongoliensis.

So when Spielberg and his crew created the movie they ignored this new fact and stayed to the novel version mainly because the bigger raptors were more frightening.

But I assume it is correct to say that the animals we see in the movies are Deinonychus antirrhopus.
  • edited June 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    But I assume it is correct to say that the animals we see in the movies are Deinonychus antirrhopus.

Not really. The movie raptors are inspired by Deinonychus, specially the skull, since at the time the movie was being made Deinonychus was the largest dromaeosaur found. But the movie raptors are twice as big as Deinonychus and more close in size to Utahraptor than Deinonychus. If you want to call it something, call it "Velociraptor Spielbergi".

And Crichton's raptors are 6 foot tall Velociraptor mongoliensis.
    This is the original list of dinosaurs including in the film of Spielberg.

That is a fan-made list actually.
  • edited June 2011
    Dr.Dino wrote: »
    Not really. The movie raptors are inspired by Deinonychus, specially the skull, since at the time the movie was being made Deinonychus was the largest dromaeosaur found. But the movie raptors are twice as big as Deinonychus and more close in size to Utahraptor than Deinonychus. If you want to call it something, call it "Velociraptor Spielbergi".

And Crichton's raptors are 6 foot tall Velociraptor mongoliensis.

It's interesting that in german it's translated like 1,80 meters "big" (einen Meter achtzig groß). With that you can't say if it is meant 1,80 meters long or tall. In german this isn't defined.
    When I read the novel I always imagined the raptors being as tall as a human.
    Yeah and in some dinosaur books I owned back at these days, Deinonychus was drawn as tall as a human. I just looked it up again in wikipedia to see that Deinonychus is much smaller.
    So yes, the movie version is a hybrid of Deinonychus and Utahraptor...
    And Velociraptor mongoliensis was at least about that size:
    Vraptor_Scale.svg
  • edited July 2011
    It's been confirmed to be Troodon.

It's unknown what other dinosaurs other than the ones listed so far will be shown. Knowing what they've done so far with Troodon it's safe to say that "confirmed" list of species on Nublar from the movie is a guideline but not absolute truth (We could be in store for more unknown species, especially with some exclusive concept art of a certain aquatic species that will be shown later). As for anything with regards to the novels, only the movies were apart of the licensing deal for the game.

well universal owns rights to the book and movie, novel rights were bought in '92, and did they really mention marine reptiles???? fingers crossed for koronosaurus.
  • edited July 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »
    well universal owns rights to the book and movie, novel rights were bought in '92, and did they really mention marine reptiles???? fingers crossed for koronosaurus.

it's been confirmed that TellTale's deal is only for what's shown in the movies. And they mentioned some kind of aquatic predator.
  • edited July 2011
    This means that Metriacanthosaurus, Proceratosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stegosaurus, Baryonyx, Segisaurus, Pteranodon and Compsognathus not appear in the game?.

firmajpgame.png
  • edited July 2011
    it's been confirmed that TellTale's deal is only for what's shown in the movies. And they mentioned some kind of aquatic predator.[/QUOin what interview was this aquatic predator mentioned?
  • edited July 2011
    it's been confirmed that TellTale's deal is only for what's shown in the movies. And they mentioned some kind of aquatic predator.

Hemhem.....I don't think this was supposed to be mentioned. *Cough*
  • edited July 2011

Sort of like the Troodon? :p
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah it was...it was mentioned in one of the E3 interviews correct? IGN?
  • edited July 2011
    For real? I did not know that. NEVER MIND!
  • edited July 2011
    The aquatic reptile is something that will appear in the game. I wouldn't worry about the marine facility being something an animal could escape from either.
  • edited July 2011
    The aquatic reptile is something that will appear in the game. I wouldn't worry about the marine facility being something an animal could escape from either.
    I could imagine a very intriguing mission if it did...:D
  • edited July 2011
    I've seen the interview where the "new threat" is supposedly introduced as a troodon but from the gameplay footage and the brief glimpses of the dinosaur I'm not sure if I'm 100% convinced. Here is a snapshot I took of the new dinosaur:
    jp_the_game_by_ghansen89-d3ch5m5.png
    I don't know if I'm the only one that's a little skeptical about it being troodon but that's just my opinion. Let me know what you think.
  • edited July 2011

jptourmap.jpg .

You know what I just noticed? look at the map in the top left hand corner and the island has a small lagoon.... :D possible space for an enclosed aquarium perhaps??
  • edited July 2011
    I've seen the interview where the "new threat" is supposedly introduced as a troodon but from the gameplay footage and the brief glimpses of the dinosaur I'm not sure if I'm 100% convinced. Here is a snapshot I took of the new dinosaur:
    jp_the_game_by_ghansen89-d3ch5m5.png
    I don't know if I'm the only one that's a little skeptical about it being troodon but that's just my opinion. Let me know what you think.

Yeah! I"m also not feeling that troodon design. I hope that thats just the way Nima sees it because of her hallucinations. I can't imagine it looking that cartoony in the real game. It would look out of place compared to the other dinosaurs.
  • edited July 2011
    mannyguy1 wrote: »
    Yeah! I"m also not feeling that troodon design. I hope that thats just the way Nima sees it because of her hallucinations. I can't imagine it looking that cartoony in the real game. It would look out of place compared to the other dinosaurs.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that's feeling that way. Based on the dinosaurs appearance I looked for some dinosaurs that kind of match it. Here they are:

Tawa hallae: this dinosaur has a feathered head and body and is about the same size of the dinosaur that attacks Nima (before she hallucinates). It has a long, thin snout and big eyes, similar to the glimpses that we've seen.
    tawa2.jpg
    Sinornithosaurus: this dinosaur when first discovered was thought to be venomous. I believe that it has been mentioned in previous forms. It is smaller than the dinosaur we catch glimpses of but it also has a feathered body.
    cover-expansion.medium.gif
    Buitreraptor: this dinosaur has a very long snout and large eyes, similar to the new dinosaur. It also is feathered and a smaller dinosaur.
    BuitreraptorGonzalezorum.jpg
    I'm not ruling out troodon as the new dinosaur. Like I said before I know it was mentioned in a telltale interview but to my knowledge telltale has not confirmed for sure that it is troodon outside of that specific interview. These dinosaurs are in my opinion some dinosaurs that could fit the description of what we know and have seen and know of the "new threat" so far. Let me know what you think.
  • edited July 2011
    You know what I just noticed? look at the map in the top left hand corner and the island has a small lagoon.... :D possible space for an enclosed aquarium perhaps??

that is extremely preculiar... there was no mention in the films..but then why the giant puddle.... if its not there it would have to be the corrdoned off inlet south of the baryonx enclosure. for all we know tell tale may be utilizing the very map. (you can buy em on ebay i guess it was a something bought in the gift shop or something) both bodies should be large enough to hold any aquatic reptile in the fossil record (although predator x may be an exception)
  • edited August 2011
    Check out this cool video about troodon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHsj8AnyCPs
  • edited August 2011
    Check out this cool video about troodon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHsj8AnyCPs
    Also very cool, though IMO it is a bit unrealistic when one Troodon kills a Hadrosaur.

BTW, what's the prounciation? I mean, in the video it's pronounced something like "Troydon", but I always thought it'd be "Trudon".

I think the original name was Troödon anyway (German?), so it would not be pronounced like in English, but still. "Trudon" sounds better.:D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.