Terra Nova - new Dino series from Spielberg

edited August 2011 in Jurassic Park
New TV series from Spielberg: aka JP in the Future

http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/dinosaursinpopculture/a/spielberg-dinosaur-tv-show-terra-nova.htm

TRAILER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6aNEIZwPFc

This looks like it could be really cool.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Here's what I don't get. They go all the way back in time to rebuild and to start over... however, why would you go as far back as the time of the dinosaurs? Don't they know about the meteor that's going to hit the Earth and wipe out everything?
  • edited July 2011
    Maybe they will address that in the show.. like they have a plan to deal with it... You know like a giant trampoline. :D
  • edited July 2011
    Is this supposed to be a mix between Lost and Jurassic Park? Although I love both very much, I dont know if I want a hybrid.

@waroftheworlds:
    Maybe there is a twist and they accidentally stranded in a other dimension or very far in the future where mankind is extinct and nature took back the earth or somethin
  • edited July 2011
    My guess is yeah they would not mind having the Lost fans jump on board...
  • edited July 2011
    Here's what I don't get. They go all the way back in time to rebuild and to start over... however, why would you go as far back as the time of the dinosaurs? Don't they know about the meteor that's going to hit the Earth and wipe out everything?

excellent point waroftheworld after the dinosaurs there were a number of time periods that could be chosen after the cretaceous. like the miocene, the pliocene, the plesitocene, basically any time period after the mesozoic era
  • edited July 2011
    I guess they figured the show needed dinosaurs?
  • edited July 2011
    Do they have a choice were they can time-travel? I read that they managed to create a time portal but dont have control in wich time they can travel.
  • edited July 2011
    I find the premise flawed really:
    Sure they have this "new world" and hundreds of millions of years to live in; but surely their presence will divert the course of evolution when man first emerges causing a paradox in that they stop man evolving and therefore they cannot of existed to travel back in time to stop man evolving.
  • edited July 2011
    Well, if they come up with a theory that time is constant, and cannot be erased, only expanded on. Which would mean that if you go back in time to change something, it won't really be changed, only open up another timeline. Once time-travel is invented, different timelines are created every time something major is done to try and "change" the future.

This would mean that the meteor that's supposed to kill off the dinosaurs still happens, but only in the original timeline. Which is where the timetravellers come from and therefore are still able to exist.
  • edited July 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    Well, if they come up with a theory that time is constant, and cannot be erased, only expanded on. Which would mean that if you go back in time to change something, it won't really be changed, only open up another timeline. Once time-travel is invented, different timelines are created every time something major is done to try and "change" the future.

This would mean that the meteor that's supposed to kill off the dinosaurs still happens, but only in the original timeline. Which is where the timetravellers come from and therefore are still able to exist.

OR there already is a constant non-changeable timeline wich means they were there all the time and couldnt prevent the meteor from colliding and werent able to change anything cause it already happened
  • edited July 2011
    I'm to tired to talk about time travel, but what I will say is that this show looks pretty cool.
  • edited July 2011
    Time travel will have been going to gave everyone a headache!
  • edited July 2011
    Reznor2112 wrote: »
    This looks like it could be really cool.

looks lame, not my taste…sigh
  • edited July 2011
    I don't like these new TV shows. They seem to be of lesser quality then those of the 80's and 90's
  • edited July 2011
    I honestly am really looking forward to it.. but I think it will be too expensive and it will get cancelled because it will not gain enough viewers to justify the cost... that is my prediction at least.
  • edited July 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I honestly am really looking forward to it.. but I think it will be too expensive and it will get cancelled because it will not gain enough viewers to justify the cost... that is my prediction at least.

That's the problem with science fiction shows. Their expense makes it too easy for the powers that be to pull the plug and keep on making cheap sitcoms & reality shows.
  • edited July 2011
    Here's my problem with the premise: HOW THE HECK ARE THESE PEOPLE BREATHING?! Seriously, oxygen content was nowhere near the same level as it is now. These people are screwed the first time a quick predator shows itself because after a few minutes, they'll be on the ground gasping for air.
  • edited August 2011
    Update: Brannon Braga and Rene Echevarria(sp?) have confirmed that the temporal jump back to start Terra Nova will not effect the timeline. Essentially, they're doing what was done in the Star Trek movie from 2009. Going back and creating an alternate reality.

Still doesn't explain how these people are going to be able to keep away from predators when the oxygen depletion sets in...

Also...I wonder what Ian Malcolm would say about this.
  • edited August 2011
    Still doesn't explain how these people are going to be able to keep away from predators when the oxygen depletion sets in...
    But... wasn't the oxygen level higher in the Cretaceous? Or did you mean the time of the extinction event? (I'm sorry, sometimes the language barrier sets in.:))

Anyway, regarding whether the time-travellers will have problems with the extinction itself, I think it depends on exactly how far they are going back. Even a million years is an awfully long time, even our whole civilization is around 5-6 thousand years old.

But now I come to think of it, I'm not even sure how long the extinction event lasted. Especially since I read recently that some dinosaurs (apart from the virds) may have survived the extinction for 500 thousand years.

I should look it up, but it's too early (at least in my country :P ).
  • edited August 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    For the record, the Feature length pilot episode cost about £9M apparantly.
    I am looking forward to it as it's Spielberg but yeah.. I just hope that the viewing figures does justify the cost of making it.
    Spielberg's "Falling Skies" got renewed for a second series so there's hope.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm really enjoying Falling Skies. Can't wait to see Tara Nova.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm also really looking forward to it.
  • edited August 2011
    A buddy of mine told me about Terra Nova a while ago, personally I'd like to see it, if only for the Carnotaurus
  • edited August 2011
    Time travel is work of fiction to make interesting storylines.
  • edited August 2011
    MasCot wrote: »
    But... wasn't the oxygen level higher in the Cretaceous? Or did you mean the time of the extinction event? (I'm sorry, sometimes the language barrier sets in.:))

Anyway, regarding whether the time-travellers will have problems with the extinction itself, I think it depends on exactly how far they are going back. Even a million years is an awfully long time, even our whole civilization is around 5-6 thousand years old.

But now I come to think of it, I'm not even sure how long the extinction event lasted. Especially since I read recently that some dinosaurs (apart from the virds) may have survived the extinction for 500 thousand years.

I should look it up, but it's too early (at least in my country :P ).

They're going to the Jurassic Period if I remember correctly. And lower or higher oxygen concentration? It would still make life difficult for them.
  • edited August 2011
    They're going to the Jurassic Period if I remember correctly. And lower or higher oxygen concentration? It would still make life difficult for them.
    Jurassic period? Are you sure? There are carnotaurs and pteranodons... looks like cretaceous to me. The brachiosaurs are actually sauroposeidons i think.
  • edited August 2011
    Jurassic period? Are you sure? There are carnotaurs and pteranodons... looks like cretaceous to me. The brachiosaurs are actually sauroposeidons i think.

D'oh, never mind. 85 million years ago. So, no T-rexes around that time.

At least they'll have CARNOTAURUS to deal with.

God I want to shoot Disney for that...

And Carnotaurus had better be done RIGHT. People make fun of T-rex's arms, Carnotaurus had it worse.
  • edited August 2011
    I just saw the Terra Nova trailer yesterday. It looks amazing.
  • edited August 2011
    LOL... poor Amy too over worked didn't get to see the trailer til now....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.