marine reptiles?

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
it was mentioned in a thread that i had just yesterday input on, a few folks had suggested that aquatic dinosaurs (reptiles or whatever you subscribe to) would be making an appearance in JP:TG, is there any proof of this? and if so, what animal do you think it would be? they really come in three categories : long necked plesiasaurs and short necked (pliosaurs) and then at the late cretaceous mark : mosasaurs

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Here's a close quote from JP-Legacy:
    When they said "aquatic reptiles" I think what they meant was "dinosaurs that live near rivers and eat fish" (like Baryonyx, which is on the movie's embryo list).

Prehistoric sea creatures would make no sense at all in the JP universe, because mosquitoes wouldn't be living in the middle of the ocean.
    Even if there was any chance of mosquitoes having marine reptile DNA, there would still be no sense in trying to put marine reptiles in the park.

Although the park was poorly designed, InGen clearly still thought they had things under control if anything went wrong. Therefore, InGen should be smart enough to realize that bringing back marine reptiles would be completely insane.

There's a big difference between a land dinosaur escaping the park and a marine reptile escaping. If a land dinosaur managed to swim to the mainland (which I don't think any land dinosaur could do) or if it stowed away on a boat, at least InGen would know where to look for it. The dinosaur would have to end up somewhere in Costa Rica, or one of the few bordering countries.

So if a land dinosaur escaped, InGen assumed they'd have it under control.

Marine animals, on the other hand, LIVE in water. They never sleep, and they can travel through the ocean effortlessly. If a marine reptile escaped into the ocean, they could go anywhere.
    InGen should be smart enough to realize the risk of bringing back marine reptiles is just too high.
  • edited July 2011
    However, mosquitoes WOULD be living on the beach where dinosaurs would get washed ashore and beached like modern day whales and sharks, leaving them to be fed on by predators including mosquitoes. So in that respect, aquatic dinosaurs could be found by means of amber.
  • edited July 2011
    Guys, respect TellTale and those who pre-ordered the game. If you aren't aware of this is probably because you shouldn't know about it yet. TellTale will probably release it to the public when they feel it's right.
  • edited July 2011
    AndyCullen wrote: »
    However, mosquitoes WOULD be living on the beach where dinosaurs would get washed ashore and beached like modern day whales and sharks, leaving them to be fed on by predators including mosquitoes. So in that respect, aquatic dinosaurs could be found by means of amber.

The chance that they would find amber with mosquitios that held the DNA of a dinosaur is extremely low which makes the chances of finding a sea creature nearly impossible.

I personally believe that the aquatic reptile will be Dienosuchus because they are already known to have been cloned by the InGen scientists because they are seen in The Lost World: Jurassic Park arcade game which makes it more realistic in the franchise than something like a plesiosaur.
  • edited July 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    The chance that they would find amber with mosquitios that held the DNA of a dinosaur is extremely low which makes the chances of finding a sea creature nearly impossible.

I personally believe that the aquatic reptile will be Dienosuchus because they are already known to have been cloned by the InGen scientists because they are seen in The Lost World: Jurassic Park arcade game which makes it more realistic in the franchise than something like a plesiosaur.

Yet that's what the whole Jurassic Park series was based on... dino DNA being gathered via amber, then cloning them from that. This game is based on movie canon, not exact science or spinoff game canon. They basically have free reign on anything that doesn't stray from the exact events and mentionings in the movies. Sure, no one brought up the existence of aquatic dinos in the series, but they also never denied it, nor did they ever release the complete list of cloned dinos. InGen had many secrets, and I'm sure a few will be elaborated on within this game.

They released concept art at E3 showing the silhouette of an aquatic dino (so it's not exactly a secret solely given to people who pre-ordered.) From the image, Deinosuchus seems off. I'm fairly confident it's a Mosasaurus from the evidence in the photo, but I'm open to being wrong.
  • edited July 2011
    Yet that's what the whole Jurassic Park series was based on... dino DNA being gathered via amber, then cloning them from that. This game is based on movie canon, not exact science or spinoff game canon. They basically have free reign on anything that doesn't stray from the exact events and mentionings in the movies. Sure, no one brought up the existence of aquatic dinos in the series, but they also never denied it, nor did they ever release the complete list of cloned dinos. InGen had many secrets, and I'm sure a few will be elaborated on within this game.

They released concept art at E3 showing the silhouette of an aquatic dino (so it's not exactly a secret solely given to people who pre-ordered.) From the image, Deinosuchus seems off. I'm fairly confident it's a Mosasaurus from the evidence in the photo, but I'm open to being wrong.

well the shape is in mistakeable 96% of the time but what kind? i mean (i hate to be the nerdy know it all but..) did it appear to be around say 12-15 feet in comparison to the characters? or was it downright massive? there were around 40 species of mosasaurs from the fossil records but some of the most famous (and the two tell tale are likley to use) are clidastes (famous for their skeletons being found with large shark remains inside) or tylosaurus 50 foot monster. i dont want to jump to conclusions but your post just got my hopes up =) any chance the concept art is floating somewhere??
  • edited July 2011
    It's in the pre-order forum, can't post it, you'll have to wait until they release it to the public. Telltale's request.
  • edited July 2011
    It's in the pre-order forum, can't post it, you'll have to wait until they release it to the public. Telltale's request.

i have pictures here of possible canidates from various internet sources, some have said it was a breed of mosasaur but here are some images of the big three groups of animals that lived in the seas of kansas, australia, the UK , all during the cretaceous era they should be listed as follows #1 tylosaurus progier (kansas resident) #2 Elasmosaurus (supposed UK resident) #3 Koronosaurus queenslandicus (australia) Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.
  • edited July 2011
    I can definitely tell you it's not an elasmosaurus. There's no long neck. The other two resemble the silhouette though. I'm betting it's kronosaurus or mosasaurus.
  • edited July 2011
    Here's a close quote from JP-Legacy:
    Even if there was any chance of mosquitoes having marine reptile DNA, there would still be no sense in trying to put marine reptiles in the park.

Although the park was poorly designed, InGen clearly still thought they had things under control if anything went wrong. Therefore, InGen should be smart enough to realize that bringing back marine reptiles would be completely insane.

There's a big difference between a land dinosaur escaping the park and a marine reptile escaping. If a land dinosaur managed to swim to the mainland (which I don't think any land dinosaur could do) or if it stowed away on a boat, at least InGen would know where to look for it. The dinosaur would have to end up somewhere in Costa Rica, or one of the few bordering countries.

Marine animals, on the other hand, LIVE in water. They never sleep, and they can travel through the ocean effortlessly. If a marine reptile escaped into the ocean, they could go anywhere.
    InGen should be smart enough to realize the risk of bringing back marine reptiles is just too high.
    Guys let's not forget they already cloned some species of plants as well,of which DNA could not come from a mosquito.So they could justify cloning a marine reptile however they want;for example they find a specimen frozen inside a glacier or something like that.And they could say that InGen kept them in an enclosed gulf or salt water lake on the island.
    So from my point of view it's a nice change of pace if they bring marine reptiles into the story.
  • edited July 2011
    "Even if there was any chance of mosquitoes having marine reptile DNA, there would still be no sense in trying to put marine reptiles in the park.

InGen should be smart enough to realize the risk of bringing back marine reptiles is just too high"

Let it be reminded that InGen also used fragmented bones to extract DNA. Bone fragments are found all over the world and can be ground up to produce enough DNA. The second is that the island is not what keeps the dinosaurs for escaping into the rest of the world. Lysin has to be feed to all of the animals of they will "slip into a coma and die", the animals were also se posed to be female so that if an animal ever escaped and lived, it would never reproduce. A marine reptile would not be a problem for the folks at Jurassic Park.
  • edited July 2011
    I think we have an official answer...
    jurassic-park-the-game-20110722063542263.jpg

Also IGN outed the Insider Forum exclusive concept art:
    jurassic-park-the-game-20110722063558575.jpg

SOURCE: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/076/076990/imgs_1.html
  • edited July 2011
    Nifty, I like the Mosasaur.
  • edited July 2011
    Looking at the concept art, it seems that the center room is used for examining the mosasaurs that by vets during a clinical visit. The mosasaurs have to be on the coast so the cage that surrounds the mosasaurs must cover up a peninsula. The mosasaurs could be in an artificial salt water lake which would work but it could go either way. If I were to build an exhibit for an ancient organism that lives in water, I would build my own lake. It would be harder to build in the ocean than in a lake you built yourself.
  • edited July 2011
    HumanToast wrote: »
    Looking at the concept art, it seems that the center room is used for examining the mosasaurs that by vets during a clinical visit. The mosasaurs have to be on the coast so the cage that surrounds the mosasaurs must cover up a peninsula. The mosasaurs could be in an artificial salt water lake which would work but it could go either way. If I were to build an exhibit for an ancient organism that lives in water, I would build my own lake. It would be harder to build in the ocean than in a lake you built yourself.

holy frig... i have been waiting for someone to release these for a few weeks now... THANK YOU /hi5 its a mosasaur after all go figure.... i did some searching on the web and there is a starter genus Mosasaurus, being that tell tale used the word mosasaur it could be any species, the origonal member reached 45 feet, tylosaurus - mosasaurus both 2 different mosasaurs of simillar size, doesnt really matter, label it what you want, i just think its incredibly beast that tell tale added these...
  • edited July 2011
    Plesiosaurs would not make a very good enemy. Plesiosaurs are a fish eater only, the small head would swoop into a school of fish while the body was far away thanks to its neck. Plesiosaurs would not have been able to stick their heads out of the water to snag birds or humans like they are shown in b-monster movies and lock ness pictures. Mosasaurs on the other hand would have been a predator of predators. Eating sharks, squid and other marine reptiles; the mosasaur would be an excellent foe in Jurassic Park.
  • edited July 2011

Observe at the floor of the walk area, two large skeletons of Mosasaurs and a skeleton of a Xiphactinus, an ancient species of fish.
  • edited July 2011
    Observe at the floor of the walk area, two large skeletons of Mosasaurs and a skeleton of a Xiphactinus, an ancient species of fish.

, i wonder if xiphactinus is in the exhibit as well?,

they both lived in the same places, it would make sense..
  • edited July 2011
    yes.

knew it. :cool:
  • edited July 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »

Remember that there are only 15 species that were created and known by the Jurassic Park Staff. A creature like Troodon could have left into the field but a fish would be difficult to run into the forest. Also notice that the animal symbols near the computer monitors have the Mosasaur skull but not Xiphactinus.
  • edited July 2011
    Remember that there are only 15 species that were created and known by the Jurassic Park Staff. A creature like Troodon could have left into the field but a fish would be difficult to run into the forest. Also notice that the animal symbols near the computer monitors have the Mosasaur skull but not Xiphactinus.

yea i see what your saying im just wondering if the xiphactinus was contemporary to the mosasaur exhibit like the parasarolophus were to the brachiosaur paddock, but im guessing its unknown, like you said it would have been on a
    list or map
  • edited July 2011

Remember that Jurassic Park only has 15 species on exhibit. I will let TellTall slide with the Troodons not being in an exhibit because a Troodon could escape but a 20ft fish couldn't run through the woods.
  • edited July 2011
    Remember that Jurassic Park only has 15 species on exhibit. I will let TellTall slide with the Troodons not being in an exhibit because a Troodon could escape but a 20ft fish couldn't run through the woods.

My original comment didn't show up so I made it again.
  • edited July 2011
    Isn't there any lakes on the island?

Because an isolated lake would be the ideal spot.
  • edited July 2011
    Tetsu Aero wrote: »

if you look under the "dinosaurs of jurassic park night hunter thread, there is an isla nublar map from the movie, and in the north east portion there is a rather large inland lake cut off from the sea, im guessing that its the location for the jurassic park aquarium facility
  • edited July 2011

The ideal spot would be an artificial lake so that you know just what is in the lake, remember that a zoo wouldn't just put an animal in a lake and put the exhibit around it.
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah an artificial lake would be the best. But that lake in the north west corner of the island would do pretty good since there's mountains or hills around it. The only two Dinosaurs near it are the Velociraptor pen, and what i guess is a Herrerasaur pen as well. So it seems like the best spot for another cage. And it would be the grandstop of a walking tour. With perhaps the nighthunter dino on the way between the Mosasaur and the Herrerasaur.
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah an artificial lake would be the best. But that lake in the north west corner of the island would do pretty good since there's mountains or hills around it. The only two Dinosaurs near it are the Velociraptor pen, and what i guess is a Herrerasaur pen as well. So it seems like the best spot for another cage. And it would be the grandstop of a walking tour. With perhaps the nighthunter dino on the way between the Mosasaur and the Herrerasaur.

The nighthunters are Troodons and they are not on the tour
  • edited July 2011
    What i ment is, that whatever secret pen or facility they escaped from would be there. In case they ever decided to introduce it to the tour, like the Mosasaur.
  • edited July 2011
    What i ment is, that whatever secret pen or facility they escaped from would be there. In case they ever decided to introduce it to the tour, like the Mosasaur.

well yea, what would their purpose be? a pack of biological garbage desposals? i mean why clone a species, put it in a zoo and not display it.. its like the troodon is on the resort facility/zoo and not on display..why on earth is that?
  • edited July 2011
    Plenty of reasons.

A: Facility is being used as a testing ground for new Dinos. So they were testing to see if the Troodons responded well to the environment. If it didn't it would die out by itself or be put down.
    B: They were made there in secret for unknown evil corporate purposes.
  • edited July 2011
    well yea, what would their purpose be? a pack of biological garbage desposals? i mean why clone a species, put it in a zoo and not display it.. its like the troodon is on the resort facility/zoo and not on display..why on earth is that?

You just described Compsognathus. They are biological garbage disposals. And they're really not featured on the tour.
  • edited July 2011
    You just described Compsognathus. They are biological garbage disposals. And they're really not featured on the tour.

yea but what do you think troodons purpose is? a biosyn sabotage of some kind?
  • edited July 2011
    yea but what do you think troodons purpose is? a biosyn sabotage of some kind?

Biosynthesis isn't that stupid. The Troodons were probably being tested, Ingen created hundreds of animals to insure that the small percentage would live. It is likely that there were 15 species were on the tour and "officially" completed DNA. Other species would be made on Isla Sorna but probably designed on Jurassic Park.
  • edited July 2011
    Biosynthesis isn't that stupid. The Troodons were probably being tested, Ingen created hundreds of animals to insure that the small percentage would live. It is likely that there were 15 species were on the tour and "officially" completed DNA. Other species would be made on Isla Sorna but probably designed on Jurassic Park.

This could also show why Doctor Harding didn't know about the animals since the animals would not have been official, I'm guessing that the Troodons Escaped into the park and began to breed.
  • edited July 2011
    yea, the mosasaur and xiphactinus make me think its a western interior sea exhibit, troodons definetly confuse me at this point
  • edited July 2011
    In an interview I think they talked about Tylosaurus AND Plesiosaur.
  • edited July 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    In an interview I think they talked about Tylosaurus AND Plesiosaur.
    The interviewee was probably just saying that the marine reptile is similar. Tylosaurus and Pliosaur have very similar shapes but they lived in different times.Tylosaurus, a variety of Mosasaur, lived in the Cretaceous and had a convergent evolutionary form to Pliosaur which lived in the Jurassic. Plesiosaur has the long neck. Besides, I wouldn't take anything for truth until it is made official or it is obvious. The Troodons are obvious, the Mosasaur is official.
  • edited July 2011

Yes, that's exactly how i see it :)
  • edited July 2011
    The interviewee was probably just saying that the marine reptile is similar. Tylosaurus and Pliosaur have very similar shapes but they lived in different times.Tylosaurus, a variety of Mosasaur, lived in the Cretaceous and had a convergent evolutionary form to Pliosaur which lived in the Jurassic. Plesiosaur has the long neck. Besides, I wouldn't take anything for truth until it is made official or it is obvious. The Troodons are obvious, the Mosasaur is official.

well mosasaurs were not the end result of evolution of pliosaurs, there were indeed pliosaurs in the cretaceous, two examples would be koronosaurus queenslandicus and its south american counter parts, but yes they were all killed by mosasaurs,
Sign in to comment in this discussion.