Red Backgrounds in Puzzle Agent 2 PC (Vista)

edited July 2011 in Game Support
I am getting a lot of red backgrounds. Solid red. A lot of this happens during cut-scenes and during close ups or animations. For example, the pan to the moon at the beginning, the sky is just red.

My PC is Windows Vista Laptop and the game is from Steam.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2011
    can you post a dxdiag log?

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited July 2011
    I'll try this later today. I actually got to the "Retrace My Route" or similar puzzle about rotating tiles in the woods and all the tiles are black.

I've also seen black boxes over characters and the red spots are all over the place especially over ground textures. For example at the camp site or the whole pond when looking at the tracks.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I'll try this later today. I actually got to the "Retrace My Route" or similar puzzle about rotating tiles in the woods and all the tiles are black.

That's interesting. Some users had a similar issue on Mac.

Once your dxdiag log is online we can try to find out more.
  • edited July 2011
    Here is the file.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Driver Date/Size: 9/19/2007 05:19:58, 2555904 bytes

Description: Speaker/HP (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Date and Size: 9/1/2007 07:08:23, 1841312 bytes

You can try installing the latest graphics driver.

While you're at it, i would also recommend updating your sound driver.
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks. I should have thought about that. Doh! I'll give it a try and report back.
  • edited July 2011
    The graphics for the puzzle are fixed. The red spaces remain.

Please see attached image for an example from the title screen. I have also attached an updated DXDIAG file after updating my graphics and sound drivers.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2011
    The graphics for the puzzle are fixed. The red spaces remain.

Please see attached image for an example from the title screen. I have also attached an updated DXDIAG file after updating my graphics and sound drivers.

I am glad the Puzzle works now, so you can at least continue playing.

Strangely your new dxdiag still shows the same old graphics and audio drivers...
  • edited July 2011
    The link you provided for the graphics driver will not let me install it. It says it has not been approved for my computer. When I go to Intel and use their site to update my drivers, they send me to Sony (I have a Vaio), and their latest driver is what I could install.

I guess the blame must rest in Sony since they will not update their provided drivers for laptops that are a few years old. I believe I bought this one in late 2007 or early 2008.

Thank you for your help. I do not fault TTG for building games that do not run correctly on old hardware, especially laptops which have infamous driver support. My laptop could not even run Tales of Monkey Island, so I'm just happy it runs Puzzle Agent, which I have been enjoying a lot.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Actually i've seen people playing ToMI with the Intel GMA 965, using the latest drivers back then, although intel graphics are not officially supported by TTG.

Here's a way to install the graphics driver manually that should work:
    Download the driver (zip) and follow the manual installation steps.
  • edited July 2011
    I was able to install those drivers and now everything seems to be working. No weird red backgrounds or missing graphics.

Thanks a lot!

I feel like such a doofus for not just trying to update my drivers from the start.
This discussion has been closed.