[Poker Night] No sound

edited July 2011 in Game Support
I bought the game during steam's summer camp sale and played a few games without any problems.

However, now whenever I start up the game, after the intro plays (in which the sound works fine) the window goes white and locks up for about 10 seconds and finally loads the main menu to show the sound is disabled.

Win7 x64, HTO Striker 7.1 sound card, Radeon HD 4850 x2.
The only settings I may have changed are some settings on my graphics card, and I have since reverted them. I have tried verifying the files via steam, deleting and re-downloading the game. Tossed in some reboots and played with the graphics settings in-game, removed my saves. No luck.

Any idea what went wrong?

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Nihiliss wrote: »
    Tossed in some reboots and played with the graphics settings in-game, removed my saves. No luck.

Did you try removing the prefs.prop too?

A dxdiag log could be helpful.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited July 2011
    When I removed the save file I also removed the prefs.prop.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I don't know for sure what happens, but you could try if disabling the onboard sound chip (Realtek High Definition Audio) helps.
    As a test you could also try the opposite, disable your sound card, and use onboard sound, just to see if the sound in the game works then.
  • edited July 2011
    Tried that. Only thing that happened, is that when I rebooted with just my HTO Striker card enabled and started the game, it gave me a video error the first time it started.

Error
    Could not initialize Direct3D.
    Make sure you have current video drivers and
    close any other applications that might be running.
    You will need a video card that supports at least pixel shader version 1.4.

OK

And upon restarting the game it went back to doing the no sound thing once again.

I'm thinking my video card may be the culprit, considering it also does HDMI audio. I'm going to go play with the settings some.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Could not initialize Direct3D.

That is also sometimes caused by having multiple displays, as you have.
    I would try using onboard sound, disabling your second display and deleting the prefs.prop in a single test run.
  • edited July 2011
    Not sure what was the cause, but after playing around disabling things and changing settings and then undoing all that... it works.

I'll post back if the problem reappears.

thanks for your assistance.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Not sure what was the cause, but after playing around disabling things and changing settings and then undoing all that... it works.

I hate when problems magically disappear, but i hope it works out :)
This discussion has been closed.