Vista Games Explorer

edited July 2010 in Game Support
I've got all the episodes. Some show up alright in the explorer, some not at all. ANy support for this?

Comments

• edited April 2007
    To be honest very few of my games come up on it and it's a bit Windows 3.1 anyway so I'd just use the regular start menu if I were you.
  • edited April 2007
    The funny thing is, that even some very old Games use the Games Explorer, and it has even some advantages over the regular start menu, but it's more like a candy feature.
  • edited April 2007
    I've got a sneaking suspicion that the games explorer is just drawing its content from the old program manager Games folder. Just a funny feeling.
  • edited April 2007
    yes, it does also use that, but not limited to that...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    I want to look into awesomeing up our Games Explorer support (as one of the few full-time Vista users in the office), but I haven't spent much time on it yet.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    Hi Keadin,

Are you the same person who emailed in to support about this, or someone different?

Just curious if we've got one person asking about this or two. :D
  • edited April 2007
    Hahah, just me. :P You guys are great. I've looked into the editing of the Games Explorer Registry section and have been able to rename them a little better, and with the icons you gave us I've been able to make it pretty. Only thing is it's still missing the ESRB/WEI info and other minor details.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    The episodes aren't ESRB rated, and it's likely that they won't be... at least not for a while (aside from the Adventure Company release, which will get an ESRB rating for the entire season).

It's cool that people are going out of their way to better integrate Sam & Max with Games Explorer. Is there a way that your work can be saved to a file for others to use, or is it done only by manually editing your registry?
  • edited April 2007
    If you go into regedit it's under:

Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft> Windows > CurrentVersion > GameUX > Games

Inside there will be a bunch of weird named Keys. {2A5AA5C2-018F-4916-933C-82319B7D9D7A} is the name of my Reality 2.0 key. in there you can modify different strings. Only a few are present however, and manually adding them seems to do nothing for me. I's missing simple ones like Genre and Publisher that I wish I could add. If you click around and find other games under the same folder that have been fully supported by the Games Explorer, you'll see what I mean.
  • edited April 2007
    There's information here about how to include it as a file:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173432.aspx
  • edited April 2007
    Yeah, but that's not really usefull to someone like me... with no discernable skill...
  • edited September 2007
    Hi all

Don't know if this is still a problem for you guys - if it is, I've made a program that should fix this problem for you.

You can download the lates version of my app (Vista Game Explorer Editor) from my website: http://ryzza007.googlepages.com/vgee :D
  • edited September 2007
    Erm... you just drag the game icons into there. :)
  • edited September 2007
    thats what i did
  • edited July 2010
    I've been using Games Explorer as my primary game launchpad ever since the Steam UI update and so I noticed ToMI supports the Games Explorer, but the behaviour seems to be different depending on episode.
    I installed the full season from the DVD and noticed episodes 3 and 4 display their OFLC rating but the other episodes don't and episode 2 has a weird drop shadow box surrounding its icon.

ToMI_gdf1.jpgToMI_gdf2.jpg
  • edited July 2010
    There are a lot of inconsistencies between episodes and seasons--not just in the Games Explorer. Installer file names, default install directory (Sam & Max season 3 has a different default install directory than seasons 1 and 2), a few seasons on Steam will load incorrect information into the registry. It would be really nice if they had someone they could task with finding these inconsistencies and deploying fixes.
This discussion has been closed.