Vista Compatible

edited May 2007 in Game Support
Hello. I have not bought any of your Sam and Max games yet but I bought the original years ago and would like to try these new incarnations.
However I recently upgraded my computer to Vista and, upon reading other threads, I am left wondering whether or not these games will run on my new OS?
Could someone please tell me whether these games will run on Vista or, if not, whether versions will be later released which will?
If this makes any difference I don't know, but I live and bought my computer in the UK.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    Right now episode 1 (Culture Shock) is the only Sam & Max episode that has trouble on Vista. Episodes 2-5 are fine (and episode 6 will be too, once it's released).

We will be releasing a Vista compatible version of Culture Shock to our customers once the season is over, but if you don't want to wait for that, we do have a version you can use that we have been sending out to press. Just email in to support@telltalegames.com and ask for it and I'll send you the download instructions.
  • edited April 2007
    Its play able on vista...think E05 have the same problem...
    well d problem is that when vista restart ALL the saved games are gone...and then it's automaticly start a new game...and i have saved on the non autosave file...
    That suck...Why :(
    Sam & Max are just the greatest...
    edited April 2007
    I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Did you uninstall/reinstall the game? Did you just install Vista or have you been using Vista all along?

Do you have administrator permissions on your computer? This is important - saves won't work if you're not using an administrator account.

Is the game in demo mode (two buttons when you start up - one to play the demo and one to buy the full version) or is it the unlocked game (one launch game button)?

Did you install in the default directory or somewhere else?
  • edited May 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Right now episode 1 (Culture Shock) is the only Sam & Max episode that has trouble on Vista. Episodes 2-5 are fine (and episode 6 will be too, once it's released).

We will be releasing a Vista compatible version of Culture Shock to our customers once the season is over, but if you don't want to wait for that, we do have a version you can use that we have been sending out to press. Just email in to support@telltalegames.com and ask for it and I'll send you the download instructions.

I've actually been holding off on playing these games until the Season was completed. During which time I updated to Vista. A bit sad to hear about the first game, I may have to make use of that version you mentioned. But since I've waited this long to play Sam and Max I suppose I can wait a little while longer.

Since the season is now completed do you have any news on when the Vista compatible versions will be released? And if I wait until I get my Season 1 disc in the mail will that have the updated Vista version on it?
    edited May 2007
    Since the season is now completed do you have any news on when the Vista compatible versions will be released? And if I wait until I get my Season 1 disc in the mail will that have the updated Vista version on it?

We will start working on updating the download versions after we're finished with the disc. And yes, the disc will be Vista compatible.

It's no problem to send you the other version while you're waiting for us to rerelease Culture Shock -- just email in to support@telltalegames.com and ask for it. :)
  • edited May 2007
    We will start working on updating the download versions after we're finished with the disc. And yes, the disc will be Vista compatible.

It's no problem to send you the other version while you're waiting for us to rerelease Culture Shock -- just email in to support@telltalegames.com and ask for it. :)

Awesome news! I think I'll just wait for the disc for now. I've been deliberately saving all the episodes so I could play them all at once, so I think it might be fun to wait for the disc so I can go through all the extras at the same time. Glad to know that will be an option!

But if for some reason I can't control the urge to get started I'll certainly drop in an e-mail to get a hold of Culture Shock.
  • edited May 2007
    jab1981 wrote: »
    I've been deliberately saving all the episodes so I could play them all at once,

Geez, talk about self control! Both impressive and rather scary. ;) You really should think about playing episode by episode next season though, so you can contribute to the forums. Most of the fun of it comes with talking with other people about it, and there is plenty of lively discussion here durring seasons. A little too much sometimes, cause then you get spoilers... Those are almost always spoiler tagged though, so no big deal.
  • edited May 2007

Just a question...will GameTap get the update? and how can we get the press ver if we don't wanta wait?
  • edited May 2007
    Um... Well, Gametap should get the update as long as TellTale gives it to them. That's definately something you guys/girls should remember to do.
  • edited May 2007

Any idea when the disc version will be done with?

I know of the working version and I should probably just grab that... but I dunno... I just feel as if I should just wait for the rerelease. Call me crazy.
  • edited May 2007
    I've heard from other sources that the disc will be out in August. Keep in mind this isn't official what-so-ever. But since we're not getting a date yet, it must be at least a month out. :/
    edited May 2007
    The Vista problem is related to the copy protection we use. GameTap's games are not wrapped with the same copy protection, so their version of Culture Shock does not have the same problem and is already Vista compatible. If you are a GameTap customer using Vista and are having trouble with Culture Shock, you should start by contacting GameTap's tech support to troubleshoot the issue.

Telltale customers who don't want to wait to play Culture Shock on Vista should email support@telltalegames.com and ask for the Vista-compatible version. Remember, this is ONLY useful for Telltale customers. If you are having trouble with the GameTap version, then this alternate version of Culture Shock is not going to help you.

Telltale's disc for Season 1 customers will hopefully be out in June. The Adventure Company's retail product is scheduled to hit stores in late August. The games on the different disc versions will be identical.

I think that answers all the questions. :D
This discussion has been closed.