Problems with the JP architecture

edited September 2011 in Jurassic Park
I’m trying to model the JP Visitor Center in blender.
Did you notice how WRONG the architecture is in the movie? I just noticed it by looking it in detail:

20110911-g3wys7ppfb71twkkywxs5j85a4.jpg

20110911-fj4spmbdud7akpcr67n7sh9fg2.jpg
Windows out of nowhere.

I hate this hacker cr#p!

Comments

• edited September 2011
    No that seems about right? Those windows more or less line up with the gaps in between the layers of the roof, although it's quite odd that you don't see any evidence of the thatched roofing through the upper ones.
  • edited September 2011
    Actually he's right, and this can be explained easily. The outside of the Visitor's Center doesn't house the interior. Typical film trick. ;)
  • edited September 2011
    This looks right?
  • edited September 2011
    Actually he's right, and this can be explained easily. The outside of the Visitor's Center doesn't house the interior. Typical film trick. ;)

Yep, that’s exactly what I thought.
    Another evidence is, when they enter the building.
    Look very closely: The perspective doesnt match with the building, actually it’s much more bigger compared to the outside

TP3D wrote: »
    This looks right?
    I agree with the upper one, as one cant say because of the shadow (at the outside picture).
    But the lower one has two window lines. One horizontal and one diagonal.
    At the outside picture you see that the horizontal line matches with the roof, so the diagonal window line is missing.
    Hope you understand what I mean :D
  • edited September 2011
    Piccobello is right. Look closely at those windows. There are two rows of windows, with the top ones at an angle like the slant of the roof, but the bottom row is horizontal. There isn't anywhere there could be the same pattern if you look at the building from outside. Dead giveaway.
  • edited September 2011
    I see what you mean. The interior shots shows double-windows on the lower tier of the dome: slanted windows over straight horizontal windows. But from the exterior only the slanted windows are seen.

Additionally, in the interior shot, where exactly are Grant and the kids entering from? According to the exterior shot, the vent they are in should open directly outside to the roof!

Pretty common movie magic though: the external facades of buildings and the soundstages where the interior action is filmed, are very rarely the same location in reality, and as a result the architecture, floor plan etc often doesn't quite match up.

Another example of this within Jurassic Park is Grant's trailer at his dig site: In the exterior shot, the door he pulls open is hinged on his right. Cut to the interior shot, and the door opens the other direction.
  • edited September 2011
    It's exactly what you all thought:

The exterior shot's were taken on Kauai, where the whole facade of the visitors center was built, but the interior shots were done at Universal Studios on stage.
    jppi0.jpg
    I don't know what trick they used (CGI or bluescreen) when the group enters the visitors center for the first time but there's a camera-movement from the outside through the entrance into the inside.
    jp-007.jpg

It's also a shame that the whole architecture is very stringent from the outside but if we take a look at the 2D plan view in the control room, it is quite chaotic and differs from time to time.
    tumblr_ljbbmrryo21qzh2ygo1_500.png
    jpvc.png
  • edited September 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    It's exactly what you all thought:
    jppi0.jpg

20110915-bc96cfta8k4ij9biy9y19w1fug.jpg
    Oh nice :D Thanks for the clarification!
    By the way here’s a small preview of my VC - it’s not done yet and looks still pretty prototypist. However, I think I will recreate it again from start, I’m not satisfied with the current result :D
  • edited September 2011
    Additionally, in the interior shot, where exactly are Grant and the kids entering from? According to the exterior shot, the vent they are in should open directly outside to the roof!.

You'll notice, that on both the left and right there's another smaller circle building attached. My guess is that the Control Room is in the one on the left (from the front of the building).

Also, any big fan would know that the exterior shot were in Hawaii and that the interior stuff was done on soundstages. That's no excuse for a continuity error though. JP may be my favorite movie ever, but it's chock full of errors.
  • edited September 2011
    Well in that case. I think thats one of the most impressive shots I''ve seen in a movie. Cause after so many years I'm just now realizing it.
  • edited September 2011
    Well, part of the reason a lot of people (including me) don't notice all the errors until somebody points them out is one of the same reasons JP is so great. It's the kind of movie that just sucks you into the story and the action, it's easy to fall into the illusion of the movie and stop looking for stuff like that. Like the world famous flying east into the sunset scene.
  • edited September 2011
    well... spotting architectural impossibilites isn't really possible during watching the movie. they are not too obvious... but if you re-watch it more often or look at some stills you will recognize them.

although, beside the internet, some mistakes I did find out myself.... (after re-watching the movie more than a dozen times)

I am very interested on how much of the visitor center we will see/explore in this game!
  • edited September 2011
    Elogotar wrote: »
    Also, any big fan would know that the exterior shot were in Hawaii and that the interior stuff was done on soundstages. That's no excuse for a continuity error though. JP may be my favorite movie ever, but it's chock full of errors.

Tons of movies have these kinds of errors. Changed up time circuits from the three main cars are visible in the Back to the Future movies, not to mention that LEDs can't make the months as shown on-screen. Also, how did Doc get INTO the DeLorean at the beginning of the mall scene? And why did he have to turn the time circuits ON during his demonstration of the mechanisms to Marty when they should have already BEEN on to send Einstein through time? Not to mention the logistical problems caused by time travel. Lord of the Rings has at LEAST two moments where an actor's prop changes hands from shot to shot. Star Wars Revenge of the Sith has an error left over from a deleted shot where Anakin arrived earlier to Palpatine's office, Palpatine's lightsaber is destroyed, Anakin is knocked out, and Palpatine takes Anakin's. Star Trek 2009 has a shot where James Kirk is silhouetted as holding a Romulan disruptor before he takes one later.

And these are things that I can remember off the top of my head. Continuity errors are all over the place in Hollywood.
  • edited September 2011
    Tons of movies have these kinds of errors. Changed up time circuits from the three main cars are visible in the Back to the Future movies, not to mention that LEDs can't make the months as shown on-screen. Also, how did Doc get INTO the DeLorean at the beginning of the mall scene? And why did he have to turn the time circuits ON during his demonstration of the mechanisms to Marty when they should have already BEEN on to send Einstein through time? Not to mention the logistical problems caused by time travel. Lord of the Rings has at LEAST two moments where an actor's prop changes hands from shot to shot. Star Wars Revenge of the Sith has an error left over from a deleted shot where Anakin arrived earlier to Palpatine's office, Palpatine's lightsaber is destroyed, Anakin is knocked out, and Palpatine takes Anakin's. Star Trek 2009 has a shot where James Kirk is silhouetted as holding a Romulan disruptor before he takes one later.

And these are things that I can remember off the top of my head. Continuity errors are all over the place in Hollywood.

Haha that thing about Doc getting into the delorean in the van.

Thats about the same, if you ever saw Knight rider? i mean the classic series. When you see the truck outside, and then inside, there is just no way there could be that much room in a semi truck lol
  • edited September 2011
    Well I did say about right. It's definitely not the same building I'll give you that. But I still think it's close enough that you could pretty easily fake it for a 3D model. It's just that the upper half of each set of windows is going to have a lot of straw blocking it :P
  • edited September 2011
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Well I did say about right. It's definitely not the same building I'll give you that. But I still think it's close enough that you could pretty easily fake it for a 3D model. It's just that the upper half of each set of windows is going to have a lot of straw blocking it :P

I think that's what Telltale did.
    if you look at this:
    jurassic-park-the-game-20110218002733421_640w.jpg
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2011
    George Lucas has offered to digitally fix the windows in Jurassic Park. George also told Speilberg that his team could get C3PO into a couple of scenes if he really wants and change T-Rex's final roar into something that better expresses his regret over eating the goat.
  • edited September 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    George Lucas has offered to digitally fix the windows in Jurassic Park. George also told Speilberg that his team could get C3PO into a couple of scenes if he really wants and change T-Rex's final roar into something that better expresses his regret over eating the goat.

LOL

Good thing Spielberg has recovered from the lunacy that made him change ET.
  • edited September 2011
    LOL

Good thing Spielberg has recovered from the lunacy that made him change ET.

There are definately things that could be improved or changed in Jurassic Park the movie. There are videos outhere that show just how many errors the movie has...and its alot...
    ...but this proves that a good story with believeable performances, relatable actors, and great digital and practical effects is what makes or breaks a sci-fi adventure movie; Jurassic Park benefits from one great advantage: a good story and plot.

But like people have said before, all those issues and mistakes have become part of the identity of the movie. So people don't mind that the wire cables are visible when the explorer turns over, or that ellie seems to jump across the same log, or that the canister embryo had only storage for about 10 embryos and not 15.

Because none of these mistakes are worth complaining when the movie is really worth watching and brought forth believable dinosaurs through animotronics and CGI.

Ironically I somewhat blame JURASSIC PARK for the changes in Star Wars. After George lucas saw that believable creatures and structures could be created digitally he went crazy with change after change. Heck the Ronto creature is made from the Brachiosaurus model of Jurassic Park!!
    Then came the prequels...and again more changes to tie them to the originals...
  • edited September 2011
    While I hope they never change Jurassic Park too much, I wouldn't mind a few things being updated or fixed as long as it was subtle. I've said this before, but I would love to see it remastered for IMAX 3D. As for Star Wars, I'm a huge fan of them as well and say what you will about Episodes I and II, but Revenge is awesome. Frankly, if you don't think that better effects can improve a film, just think of what the Sarlacc originally looked like before they added the beak and tentacles. BORING!
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2011
    When starting this project, I rewatched all the movies constantly-- like, I just had them going on as background noise.

What astonished me is the scene where they first see the Brachiosaur in the "Welcome to Jurassic Park" scene. The textures look very plain, like the markings of a rubber toy, Details have this uniform width airbrush look. And if you watch around the Brachiosaur's shoulder, you'll see some really awful texture stretching-- the kind of stuff that makes you cringe in video games today.

The film is brilliant for it's time, and it holds up-- despite these early tech glitches, I still prefer looking at Jurassic Park CG over some contemporary FX movies' creatures.
  • edited September 2011
    What astonished me is the scene where they first see the Brachiosaur in the "Welcome to Jurassic Park" scene. The textures look very plain, like the markings of a rubber toy, Details have this uniform width airbrush look. And if you watch around the Brachiosaur's shoulder, you'll see some really awful texture stretching-- the kind of stuff that makes you cringe in video games today.

Thanks for your answer, always nice to hear a TTG voice around here :D
    However, you’re completely right: today that scene looks a bit more computer-generated as it did in my childhood :D. But I’m still amazed of the work. Thinking of that they produced that back in 1993 is incredible. I think even nowadays it’s just so hard to add a CG model and let it interact with reallife ambient that looks just good and real.
  • edited September 2011
    When starting this project, I rewatched all the movies constantly-- like, I just had them going on as background noise.

The film is brilliant for it's time, and it holds up-- despite these early tech glitches, I still prefer looking at Jurassic Park CG over some contemporary FX movies' creatures.

I think a lot of the value behind the Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park is the way they're animated. They move and behave like you would expect them to in life.
    Compare the CGI Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park to Jurassic Park 3 and it's night and day. The Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park 3 are created as movie monsters, they don't move or behave like real animals even though they're visually better looking and more detailed.
  • edited September 2011
    ^^
    Yeah that's a basic difference to the original concept of Jurassic Park.

Of course they were always genetically modified animals as the DNA in the amber has always been incomplete.
    But even though they were animals with instincts and social behaviour and never "monsters" that only like to kill humans.

The "more - badder - biggest" concept in this trilogy I didn't like at all.
    Even the raptors had to have red eyes in JP3 and Spinosaurus was completely overdone as the "beast out of the hell". It's so ridiculous. Because dinosaurs are much more scary if they act in a "realistic way", and not like monsters.
    Realism is what makes you wonder and feel "that it could happen".
    Unrealistic monster-stories are doomed to be fantasy.

I hope TTG shows dinosaurs as animals and not as monsters.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.