My Amiga, C64, SNES, NES etc longplays

edited May 2007 in General Chat
I thought I'd posted this before but I've searched and I can't find any thread like this.. anyway, I've made some new ones so I was planning to bump the older thread but it seems I was wrong about having created one here.

Anyway, I've made some longplays (vids of me finishing various games) and put them on Youtube. Only old games, that's what I play the most :)

Thought it might be interesting to other retro gamers so here they are -

Shadow of the Beast (Amiga) :
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Shadow of the Beast 2 (Amiga) :
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Dragons Lair 3 (Amiga) :
Dragons Lair 3

Colorado (Amiga) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

Wrath of the Demon (Amiga) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7

Super Shadow of the Beast (SNES) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Shadow of the Beast (C64) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Samurai Warrior Usagi Yojimbo (C64)
Part 1
Part 2

Dominator (C64) -
Part 1
Part 2

Netherworld (C64) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Nebulus (C64) -
Part 1
Part 2

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Batman the Caped Crusader Penguin Campaign (C64)
Only one part

Batman the Caped Crusader Joker Campaign (C64)
Part 1
Part 2

Last Ninja (C64) -
Part 1
Part 2

Last Ninja 2 (C64) -
Part 1
Part 2

Last Ninja 3 (C64) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Last Ninja Remix (C64) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Last Ninja Remix (Amiga) -
Part 1
Part 2

Last Ninja 2 (Amiga) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Last Ninja 3 (Amiga) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Last Ninja (NES) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Shadow of the Beast Atari (Atari Lynx) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Shadow of the Beast (Sega Genesis US version) -
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Comments

• edited April 2007
    :O That is quite the list! I don't know why, but I enjoy watching longplays... maybe it is because I was never good enough to beat the games myself :P
  • edited May 2007
    Whoah... my Turtles longplay has gotten over 13000 views! :eek:
    Probably because it's such a well known franchise and the AVGN did a review of it.. but still, that's a lot compared to my other videos! A lot of my other longplays haven't gotten many views at all, some of them only a few hundred. Well, that's what I get for liking obscure games :D
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks for those! I never finished Beast 2, and now Ive finally seen it to the end :). Ive seen it all.
  • edited May 2007
    Shadow of the Beast 2 is a great game.. the design was somewhat unfair which led many to discount the game right away before really giving it a chance. It's true that there are a lot of dead ends if you don't do things in the correct order and if you fail to solve a puzzle within a few seconds of encountering it (the drawbridge one), but other than that it's a really cool and atmospheric game.

Shadow of the Beast 1 on the other hand is overrated.. it's ok but nothing special other than the graphics and sound.

Another game I enjoyed a lot was Colorado.. it's a lengthy longplay as it was pretty long by the standards for such games back then. The controls are rather sluggish and the very small inventory space is annoying but for some reason I really like it. The graphics are very nice and even without music there is a lot of atmosphere in that one too.

Oh and of course there are the Last Ninja games.. I don't even have to comment on those, everyone who was a gamer back then knows everything there is to know about those :)
    The Amiga versions might be interesting to have a look at though as not by far as many people have bothered to finish those.
    Last Ninja 2 for the Amiga was a real pain to finish.. that's the longplay I've had the least fun making. It was such a sluggish and terrible port, I just finished it as I felt I had to since I was going to make longplays of the two other and much better Last Ninja games for the Amiga.

Last Ninja 1 for the Amiga (called Last Ninja Remix) was a pretty decent effort. The graphics are nice enough and the remixes of the C64 tunes are pretty nice. It has one major flaw however - the enemies are FAR too easy to defeat. They were easy enough in the C64 version but in the Amiga version they have removed all challenge from them. Once you get one hit in, you can just keep hitting and they won't attack back.

Last Ninja 3 for the Amiga is my favourite port. It's the only one done internally by System 3 and it shows. It has new puzzles, two additional stages, new music (which is pretty good) and the graphics are very nice.
    However, one design aspect is very flawed - there is no way to really become good at fighting. In order to deal damage, you have to take damage as well. There is no way of blocking or anything like that so you end up avoiding all the enemies you can except when you want to work on your Bushido.
    Another annoying thing about this game is how they changed the controls.. took some time getting used to.
    But other than that, I think it's a solid port.. very cool game, only takes a little patience to begin with.
    Oh yeah, this version also has different bosses for each stage whereas the C64 version used the same guy every time (except for the final boss of course). And the bosses in the Amiga version requires a specific weapon to be killed.. only one weapon will work on each of them so you have to figure out which one to use.

Whoah.. didn't plan to write that much but when I get started on old games I like, there's really no stopping me. Sorry everyone :D
  • edited May 2007
    Haha its a touching era of gaming thats for sure. I was never into Last Ninja, couldnt learn the isometric controls. Beast 2, that one I loved, even though I was too young to understand the puzzels, but just running around, listening to the music and failing a few puzzles was enough back then.
    Another classic that Ive never finished, but love, is It came from the desert II. I loved the mood, the music and the characters. Very well made, being stuck in the desert with no granades left and ants everywhere was pretty bad for the heart. I got stuck after I got all the numbers from people Ive turned back to humans - I thought id have to use the numbers on the safe in the basement of the hospital, but they didnt seem to open it. Anyway.. Good times, good games. If they ever make a Gravity Force clone online, the glove has been thrown by the way! :p
  • edited May 2007
    I've finished both It Came from the Desert games about a year ago using winUAE.. I never finished it on my real Amiga as I was too young to fully understand what I was supposed to do.
    I agree they're really awesome games, I loved every minute of them. Some of my all time favourite games actually.
    And you were right about using the numbers on that safe in the hospital basement.. it's just a lot of stress to use them properly. That thing operates just like a real safe and you need the game manual to see how to use it. Actually having the game manual helps a lot for many things.
  • edited May 2007
    Ah well that explains it. I was also too young to have the moral and money to buy many games back then, including ICFTD2. And many of the fond memories I have from the Amiga age are from the "trainers" and crack intros, like the one before Giana Sisters, I can still hum that tune.
  • edited May 2007
    There are longplays of both It Came from the Desert 1 and 2 on Youtube.
    I didn't make these though :)

Here are the links -

It Came from the Desert

It Came from the Desert II
  • edited May 2007
    That was too cool to see again :) Still as great as I remembered them!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.