Jurassic Park (UK Theatrical Re-Release) Review - Alternative Magazine Online

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Hey guys,

I have just reviewed Jurassic Park (UK Theatrical Re-Release) if any of you fancy a read whilst waiting for the new games to come out! :D

FILM REVIEW - Jurassic Park (UK Theatrical Re-Release)

Would love to hear your thoughts as always! Still as great as when I first saw it in 1993... when I was 5 years old! :D :cool:

Comments

• edited October 2011
    martymcfly wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have just reviewed Jurassic Park (UK Theatrical Re-Release) if any of you fancy a read whilst waiting for the new games to come out! :D

FILM REVIEW - Jurassic Park (UK Theatrical Re-Release)

Would love to hear your thoughts as always! Still as great as when I first saw it in 1993... when I was 5 years old! :D :cool:

Great review, very good observations! You brits are so lucky to see JP on the big screen again!
  • edited October 2011
    Very nicely put together review. Always a pleasure to read your interviews and reviews.
  • edited November 2011
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Sorry it took so long to reply, I have only just remembered to check this thread after posting about the new JP game - which is awesome btw and ties into the first film very, very well. :D
  • edited November 2011
    This is literary the first time I've ever heard anybody ever mention the Acting being criticized for not being up to par, The acting is so honest to the characters.

And I can't agree with it being a "Popcorn movie" with the actors only there to "Sell" the Special effect LOL, it's on almost every Top 100 movies list ever I've ever seen.
  • edited November 2011
    This is literary the first time I've ever heard anybody ever mention the Acting being criticized for not being up to par, The acting is so honest to the characters.

And I can't agree with it being a "Popcorn movie" with the actors only there to "Sell" the Special effect LOL, it's on almost every Top 100 movies list ever I've ever seen.

Well I can name two critics off the top of my head who criticized the acting. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times said in his review that "The human characters are a ragtag bunch of half-realized, sketched-in personalities, who exist primarily to scream, utter dire warnings, and outwit the monsters."

Also, Peter Travers from Rolling Stone said how "Compared with the dinos, the human characters are dry bones, indeed. Crichton and coscreenwriter David Koepp (Death Becomes Her) have flattened them into nonentities on the trip from page to screen."

I did go on to say in my own review how "That being said and done, the script has plenty of memorable lines and the story is well acted and told, even pausing for a philosophical debate about the ethics of having cloned extinct dinosaurs in the first place."

Also, with regards to where I said: "This is a popcorn film – probably the definitive popcorn film – and the actors are ultimately there to sell the special effects." How can you not think this is a popcorn film? It's not even a criticism!

Futhermore, the T-Rex makes a heroic final appearance at the end to save the human characters... the special effects - aka the dinosaurs - are certainly a major component of the film. In fact, they are integral to the entire experience. Of course, that is just my opinion - but take the dinosaurs out of the film and do you honestly think it contains Oscar-worthy performances? (Just to be clear, I DID give the film 10 OUT OF 10 and it is one of my favourites - I'm just trying to be balanced here.) :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.