Monkey island 5

2»

Comments

• edited June 2007
    They're on the same server.
  • edited June 2007
    And apparently scummbar, am I correct? Thanks for the info tabacco, I was starting to guess as much, but figured it was just another one of my conspiracy theories...
  • edited June 2007
    Luckily l saved the la chuck pic before the sever went down. I will host it on my photobucket account and will post it on my previos comment
  • edited June 2007
    No no no, those pics are not totally unrelated to a Monkey Island 5 game, they are totally unrelated to a Monkey Island movie that never got to the point of release.
  • edited June 2007
    LucasArts need to hire a new president that likes Monkey Island
  • edited June 2007
    thom_h wrote: »
    LucasArts need to hire a new president that likes Monkey Island

Max for President! :P

LucasArts seems to be going weird lately. They're even demoting Star Wars Battlefront 3 to a PSP exclusive (I have nothing against the PSP, I think it's a great console (especially for Scumm emulation), but it seems a strange move for such a popular game).

Hopefully they're trying to throw their attention off Star Wars and make some interesting licenses again.
  • edited June 2007
    Yes to clarify the above concept art has nothing to do with Monkey Island 5, which does not exist, but rather an animated Monkey Island movie that was going to exist like ten years ago but was cancelled in the pre-production stages. (More info here.) Steve Purcell was apparently a concept artist on the project and jokingly said what he did when he sent over the art for legal reasons.

The latest MI5 rumor was reported at the same time as the new concept art for the movie which may have caused some confusion, but MI5 rumors have been a dime a dozen since Escape from Monkey Island came out. There's no reason to think this one is any more true.
  • edited June 2007
    Ah, come on, we need to keep our hopes up. : / It's all we have... LucasArts is so stupid, why aren't they making a MI5? It's like... The Granddaddy of adventure games, right along with Zork. As long as they do it right like TellTale did with Sam & Max, very few people will have much to complain about. It must be the executives, they never have any idea what they're doing... Duhhhh MI4 didn't do spectacular, so that means MI5 is too risky. Sheesh. : /
  • edited June 2007
    Lucas Arts has abandoned the adventure genre for good. It is also in the process of abandoning the PC platform. (None of the games released by Lucas Arts in 2007 are being released on the PC.)

They're too busy trying to pioneer new "smart games" with all new technology. They will never go back to the adventure genre. And any game based on the old adventure games won't be an adventure. it will be an action game. Much like the last couple of Indiana Jones games. (which royally sucked).

Gaming companies are moving away from PC's because of Piracy, and they've moved away from adventure games because there's no/little profit in it.

Dream all you want. The best adventure games ever produced are dead forever.

Honestly, IMO Monkey Island needs to be made into an MMORPG. I think that is the only way it could really survive in today's world and make enough of a profit for the developers to consider doing it. And actually I'd rather see them tie in all of their classic A/G titles into a single "Lucas Arts" MMORPG world. Mixing and Matching for endless possibilities. But this won't happen either.

The Only thing Lucas Arts ever spends money on these days is Star Wars Games and the occasional Indiana Jones game.
  • edited June 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Duhhhh MI4 didn't do spectacular, so that means MI5 is too risky. Sheesh. : /

Actually, I think MI4 performed decently. Better than the third I believe. (Someone back me up on this.)

I think maybe the PS2 version was a failure, but the PC version at least did what it set out to do, sales-wise.
  • edited June 2007
    Jokieman wrote: »
    Lucas Arts has abandoned the adventure genre for good. It is also in the process of abandoning the PC platform. (None of the games released by Lucas Arts in 2007 are being released on the PC.)

I've been hearing this "lucasarts abadoning PCs" schtick since before Phantom Menace came out.

You know why there are no PC games coming out from LucasArts in 2007? Because there are NO GAMES coming out from LucasArts in 2007*.

*Except the new LEGO Star Wars Complete Saga, which is a bundle of the existing 2 games (available on PC) with a few extras chucked in.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    To add fuel to this rumor,

More likely, if they're from anything concrete at all (and not just old Monkey Island-related things Purcell had laying around), those pieceswere made for the long-ago-abandonned Monkey Island animated film that ILM Feature Animation was considering years ago. Purcell was working there at the time, and apparently did some artwork for it. One of the other artists on the film's pre-production had a blog and wrote a little about it (can't remember where that was, though).
  • edited June 2007
    This what you're thinking of?

http://www.stacchi.com
    edited June 2007
    http://www.stacchi.com/folio/ , second row from the bottom, to be precise, and yes.
  • edited June 2007
    I wish they went through with the movie. It would work real well now following Pirates of the Caribbean. The success of Shrek-type movies proves it can work. Using the original voice actors would save a lot of money too. For the teaser: you'd have these quick flash of an epic sea battle and then build up to the sudden appearance of Murray sideways on the floor shouting blind threats at Guybrush. Man... they need to make this.
    Sadly... Hollywood has been stupid lately. Look at the Get Smart "remake". They butchered the original idea by throwing away everything that originally made it funny. I also don't see them working in the shoe phone in a world with cell phones.
  • edited June 2007
    Mystinsun wrote: »
    An italian team is making MI5 in MI3 style: "the darkness of Monkey Island".
    Here is the link for some images: http://miforum.forumcommunity.net/?t=3421388&st=0

Don't get your hopes up.

The only way that could POSSIBLY not get C&D'ed is if LucasArts never hears about it.
  • edited June 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up.

The only way that could POSSIBLY not get C&D'ed is if LucasArts never hears about it.
    I think they're getting a bit cocky about it too, which won't help their cause if LA catches on.
    Unless the translator I'm using is even worse than I think it is, it sounds as though they're trying to pass the game off as a true sequel, rather than a fan game ("It will be a lot more than a simple fangame… It will be a new true Monkey Island")

I appreciate their efforts though, very good art. I'm not too keen on their remaking Guybrush II in Guybrush III style though, just seems a bit iffy for some reason. And the smoking skull on the map screen doesn't seem right either. But they got the art style spot on, I'll give them that.
    And I'm glad they're going for a MI2 style LeChuck too. He was probably the best because he seemed so relentlessly evil compared the other ones.

It should be interesting to see what the game's like when / if they finish though.
  • edited June 2007
    OnCallDoc wrote: »
    I wish they went through with the movie. It would work real well now following Pirates of the Caribbean.

I don't know. I think if a Monkey Island movie were to come out now it would be immediately dismissed as a ripoff. The similarities between the two may be coincidental, but they're downright uncanny in places. There really doesn't need to be another pirate movie now.
  • edited June 2007
    Know what would be hilarious? (I may have said this one before)

If Disney hired Ron Gilbert to make an adventure game based on the PotC movies.
  • edited June 2007
    Telltale, pls buy the rights for MI. :(. I'm so sad over the years that there's no hope for a new part of the game. :(. I'm crying loud for a MI5!!! Whyyyyyyyyyy! :(((
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, you folks should really think about it! Then again, it's a big undertaking... Probably up to an even higher standard then Sam & Max.
  • edited June 2007
    Teletext this morning just mentioned about those Purcell pictures.
    No doubt encouraged by the continued success of Cap'n Jack and co, it seems LucasArts might finally be thinking of making a new Monkey Island game.

Although we wouldn't normally report on idle internet rumours, some new artwork from Steve Purcell has appeared which is "in no way connected to any existing or cancelled piratey project...".

Now we just need official confirmation (and a Wii lightsabre game).

They're really getting slow with the news.
  • edited June 2007
    The only thing that all of this will result in is Purcell getting in legal trouble.
    edited June 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Yeah, you folks should really think about it!

We should really think about making a Monkey Island game? Who on this earth hasn't thought about making a Monkey Island game? :P
  • edited June 2007
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    The only thing that all of this will result in is Purcell getting in legal trouble.
    I can't really see what LA could do. He's not mentioned any names of any companies or franchises.
    It's just everyone else filling in the gaps.
  • edited June 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    We should really think about making a Monkey Island game? Who on this earth hasn't thought about making a Monkey Island game? :P

Well, alright... Then make a Monkey Island game! :p
  • edited June 2007
    Being the nice guy I am, I went and saved TTG the effort and made the new true sequel to Monkey Island myself in Flash.

http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mi5qa6.swf&width=320

I'm sure you'll all agree the humour and graphics live up to anything CoMI could offer.
  • edited June 2007
    Awwwwwww........ But that's just a remake of Monkey Island 1!

:(
  • edited June 2007
    l think some ppl are thinkin it is a new game(like me before,) is because of Purcall saying it is no way it is connected to existing project and cancelled priated thing. He can either being sarcastic of givin us wink about an upcomming game.
  • edited June 2007
    I'm a big MI fan, and even enjoyed EMI quite a bit(please don't hit me!!!! ;)), but right now, I'm interested in seeing some new ideas and properties used for graphic adventures, not old school stuff.

The only way I might be interested in seeing another MI is if Schafer and Grossman got together to make it. And if THOSE powerhouses actually got together to make a game, I think we're much better off with a brand new thing.
  • edited June 2007
    Kefky wrote: »
    The only way I might be interested in seeing another MI is if Schafer and Grossman got together to make it. And if THOSE powerhouses actually got together to make a game, I think we're much better off with a brand new thing.

No love for Ron Gilbert? :(
  • edited June 2007
    jp-30 wrote: »
    No love for Ron Gilbert? :(

I'll always respect him for co-creating SCUMM, and inventing the modern graphic adventure puzzle with the three trials in MI1, but IMHO, Grossman and Schafer have surpassed his achievements over the years.

And I think that if they headed the game together, they could come up with something completely insane like DOTT again. :)
  • edited June 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll all agree the humour and graphics live up to anything CoMI could offer.

Oh my gawd!!1! That's better then, like, Oblivion with Qarl's TP 3 4096x4096 and like all the other texture and graphic mods!!! It roxxors my boxxors and my soxxors!!!1
  • edited June 2007
    Jake wrote: »

Heck, even I have thought about booting up the AGS and making a sequel. You can thank me later for being to lazy to make it... I am sure I could make even a die hard fan turn away from the series.
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Being the nice guy I am, I went and saved TTG the effort and made the new true sequel to Monkey Island myself in Flash.

http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mi5qa6.swf&width=320

It appears someone is going to be in a legal battle soon with LA. You should try bartering your textures and character models with them to drop the lawsuit.
  • edited June 2007
    Telltale you must demand the rights to Monkey Island, all Lucas Arts cares about is Star Wars which is really boring and well past its used-by date. I really want to see MI5 in my lifetime!!!

:(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.