Designed for controller?

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
From the footage I've seen it seems like the game was designed very much with a gamepad-type controller in mind. Obviously that's fine for consoles but on PC I wonder if it will undermine the experience somewhat if one just has a keyboard? Was wondering whether may be worth buying a controller in order to get the most out of the game. Did anyone else have similar concerns/ideas?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    On the insider forum, the staff did say that the PC version would be optimized for both the mouse and keyboard, however they've yet to show a demonstration of such. I don't think having a keyboard instead of a controller will take anything out of the overall experience, but I'd like to see just how they'll be put to use in the game.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited October 2011
    It's true, we put a lot of thought and effort into making sure the experience would be just as challenging and satisfying on whatever your platform of choice is. Consoles, PC, iPad all have had people looking at what makes the experience fun on those specific platforms. I myself have worked and reworked on several revisions of the PC controls to ensure that PC players don't feel like they are getting an inferior experience!
  • edited October 2011
    I have been playing TTG games with a PC controller for a while now... even the ones you wouldn't expect... with Xpadder.
  • edited October 2011
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    It's true, we put a lot of thought and effort into making sure the experience would be just as challenging and satisfying on whatever your platform of choice is. Consoles, PC, iPad all have had people looking at what makes the experience fun on those specific platforms. I myself have worked and reworked on several revisions of the PC controls to ensure that PC players don't feel like they are getting an inferior experience!
    Sounds great! Hope you'll be able to show off the different control prompts before the release.
    It's just such an important bit of the gameplay, that I think a couple of screenshots
    that compare the different platforms would go a long way. :)

Of course, this is just another thinly veiled attempt to get more screenshots... :p
  • edited October 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I have been playing TTG games with a PC controller for a while now... even the ones you wouldn't expect... with Xpadder.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest, lol! If I can make a controller work with World of Warcraft using Xpadder, you can probably make a controller do just about anything on a PC if you're smart enough.
  • edited October 2011
    I just wanted to say that if you're a regular Telltale customer and a controller is within your budget, it's totally worth buying. Games like Wallace & Gromit, Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse and Back to the Future are just so much more enjoyable when using a controller. And, like others have said, using a program like Xpadder you can use a controller with every Telltale game you like. Especially Monkey Island is a lot more fun that way. I've got no idea what they're planning with the keyboard + mouse controls, but I know I'll be playing Jurassic Park with my gamepad.

Possible merchandise-idea for Telltale: an affordable usb-controller with a little Telltale logo (or flaming Max, or whatever) on it. If you could convince enough people of buying something like that, it'd certainly cut down on the amount of people complaining about the control systems in your games. The PC-version of Super Meat Boy actually starts with a message saying that the game is most enjoyable when using a gamepad. Maybe Telltale episodes could contain a similiar message?
  • edited October 2011
    Honestly, I just recommend that anybody who games on PC get one of the wired 360 controllers. It's like $20 and its the best USB controller I've ever had. Plus, if you have a 360, you got a bonus controller. :)
  • edited October 2011
    MarkDarin wrote: »

Started recently to play adventures again, played them alot long time back, saw you got games likes Sam & Max, Monkey Island all great games in the past, so I downloaded a demo, but the control is just annoying crap on the pc, a typically we tune for consoles and give shit about pc gamers, that is just a no go to play any of your games, if you wanna offer for both markets then do a proper control for both markets...
  • edited November 2011
    Was wondering if this would have xbox 360 controller support for it?
  • edited November 2011
    It'd be hard to play on xbox if it didn't...

Plus games don't generally have controller specific support: they can use a game pad or they can't. And unless something changed and i missed it, this does have game pad support.
  • edited November 2011
    Was wondering if this would have xbox 360 controller support for it?
    I'm guessing you're referring to the PC version of the game, if so then yes. If you recall the game was premiered through the use of a 360 controller on a PC, you'll see the controller schemes in the QTE's.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.