Problem with computer since getting BttF episode 1 to work

edited October 2011 in Game Support
A small while after it finally started working, when I'd try to restart my computer, it'd go to my Windows XP desktop on-screen for about 5 seconds, then go to full-black for about 3 seconds, then go back to the desktop screen after, and stay. Is this really possibly done by getting the game to work, and if so, what can I do about it?

Thanks again.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2011
    So in other words, instead of restarting, it returns to the desktop?
    Can you still run programs in that state or is it just an empty desktop?

What we basically did in the other thread was installing the latest graphics and sound drivers. It can have side effects, but normally shouldn't.

Since the sound driver showed an unexpected error message after installation, i would try the rollback driver option for the sound card.
  • edited October 2011
    I mean that, since I installed the game, when I start up my computer (cold boot, restart, whatever), it shows the desktop on screen for a second or two, cuts to black for 2-3 seconds, then goes back to the desktop and continues loading up and everything normal (rechecked the seconds, as they were different as I originally guessed they were). I'm not sure if it was everytime I booted up this happened after I installed it, but at least since a small while afterward. All my applications still seem to work fine. Should I still try your "rollback driver" thing?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I see, i misunderstood. If everything still works afterwards, i would not worry about it. It's probably just the graphics driver initialising during system startup.
  • edited October 2011
    Ok. One last thing: The "IDT Audio Control Panel" window again that comes up every time I turn on my computer. Does it need to come up? Do I have to go through it's speaker-tests everytime, then close it?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2011
    You don't have to test your speakers every time.

It should be possible to stop the "IDT Audio Control Panel" from starting automatically. Look for it in the startup folder, and if it's there, delete it.
    If it's not there, we have to look for it somewhere else.
  • edited October 2011
    It wasn't there. :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2011
    You can try using autoruns. Download, unzip and run it.
    Press CTRL-F to open the search window and search for IDT. If you see the "IDT audio control panel", remove the checkmark in the "autorun" column to the left of it. If you see something else instead, press the F3 key until you find the control panel.

Be very carful with this program and don't disable anything else by accident.
  • edited October 2011
    In the downloaded .zip file, do I activate autoruns.exe or autorunsc.exe?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2011
    In the downloaded .zip file, do I activate autoruns.exe or autorunsc.exe?

It's the autoruns.exe.
  • edited October 2011
    I searched for "IDT", and found these:

Autorun Entry | Description | Publisher | Image Path

SysTrayApp | IDT PC Audio | IDT, Inc. | c:\program files\idt\wdm\sttray.exe

STacSV | Manages audio jack configurations. | IDT, Inc. | c:\program files\idt\intelxpv_v103\wdm\stacsy.exe

STHDA | IDT PC Audio | IDT, Inc. | c:\windows\system32\drivers\sthda.sys
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I searched for "IDT", and found these:

Autorun Entry | Description | Publisher | Image Path

SysTrayApp | IDT PC Audio | IDT, Inc. | c:\program files\idt\wdm\sttray.exe

STacSV | Manages audio jack configurations. | IDT, Inc. | c:\program files\idt\intelxpv_v103\wdm\stacsy.exe
    \sthda.sys

I can't be sure, but i would try these one at a time. Disable, reboot, see if the window still comes up.
  • edited October 2011
    When checking-out the bottom one, and rebooting, the IDT window didn't come up, but when I tried to play the BttF episode 1 game, I'd get to the main screen with the Play button, but after clicking on "Play", I'd get a Send Error Report thing, and the program wouldn't load. When I checked-out each of those other two, the IDT window also didn't come up, and the game worked fine. Except I think selecting the first one made the BttF game cursor move slower, not totally sure. I could be wrong, was hard to tell. Should I just keep the second one unchecked? Also, I didn't save in the autoruns program after unchecking/checking, but when the computer loaded back up, the checks and unchecks were still the same as I had made them.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Should I just keep the second one unchecked?

If it works best, I would try that.

Yes, Autoruns saves what you do automatically.
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks again! I'll let you know if I have any more problems.
This discussion has been closed.