Les Gigantes?

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
According to the island tour, the name of the restaurant in the Visitor Center is "Les Gigantes." This is the same name given the restaurant in Crichton's book!

Does this mean that material from the novels were not as "off-limits" to Telltale as we thought after all? Could there be other such references to the novel in the game as well?

In any case, it's a cool reference for the fans that get it, and shows once again that Telltale really did their homework when creating this.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    "Les Gigantes"? Really? With a French article and a Spanish noun? Not "Los Gigantes" or "Les Géants?"
  • edited October 2011
    According to the island tour, the name of the restaurant in the Visitor Center is "Les Gigantes." This is the same name given the restaurant in Crichton's book!

Does this mean that material from the novels were not as "off-limits" to Telltale as we thought after all? Could there be other such references to the novel in the game as well?

In any case, it's a cool reference for the fans that get it, and shows once again that Telltale really did their homework when creating this.
    There will be novel easter eggs. Look for them! I remember in the new trailer they had a poster that had the Novel's version map of Isla Sorna, it may not be as "in your face" as the restaurant name but they will be there. Keep an eye out!
  • edited November 2011
    if they are using the book then this would explain the extra raptors on the island!
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah I just read that chapter of the Novel last night( 500th time reading the Novel) and it is "Les Gigantes" instead of "Los Gigantes" haha!
  • edited November 2011
    A friend of mine who does translations of medieval literature and documents says Gigantes could be from archaic French if there was an accent mark over the e. He says you usually see it from places that border Belgium and in family names.
  • edited November 2011
    in the book "Les Gigantes" isn't the restaurant in the visitor center but a planned one inside the unfinished second hotel at the aviary.
  • edited November 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    in the book "Les Gigantes" isn't the restaurant in the visitor center but a planned one inside the unfinished second hotel at the aviary.
    Is it at the aviary? I'll read again, I thought it was closer to the Triceratops enclosure, but I could be wrong.
  • edited November 2011
    I am not sure, now that u asked me....
    I think the tour guide said it is on top of a cliff... right after the Trike pen.
    And when Tim turned his head he didn't see anything and Regis answered something like: "Not now. We'll start the construction in november."

I think on the opposite side of the road there's the aviary with the second hotel.

Guess I'll have to dig up the book and read that passage again....

But "Les Gigantes" is definately not in the visitors center.
  • edited November 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    I am not sure, now that u asked me....
    I think the tour guide said it is on top of a cliff... right after the Trike pen.
    And when Tim turned his head he didn't see anything and Regis answered something like: "Not now. We'll start the construction in november."

I think on the opposite side of the road there's the aviary with the second hotel.

Guess I'll have to dig up the book and read that passage again....

But "Les Gigantes" is definately not in the visitors center.

I'm still glad telltale were able to merge some of the novel into the film :)
  • edited November 2011
    ^^
    yeah!!

also the info about the compys that are eating the dung :)
  • edited November 2011
    In the first book, the restaurant is named "le Baumanière".

I'm French and I guess Crichton, who was apparently fond of my country, visited l'Oustau de Baumanière, which is a very well-known restaurant in Provence, before writing his book. ;)
  • edited November 2011
    "If you look on the bluff to the right, you'll see Les Gigantes, the site of our superb three star dining room. Chef Alain Richard hails from the world famous Le Baumanière in France."

Quoted word for word from page 143 of the Novel.

And that takes place right after they leave the Dilophosaurus Paddock
  • edited November 2011
    "If you look on the bluff to the right, you'll see Les Gigantes, the site of our superb three star dining room. Chef Alain Richard hails from the world famous Le Baumanière in France."

Ah yes, that would place it in the Pteratops Lodge, the resort/hotel built overlooking the aviary, as tope1983 mentioned.

But since it is never mentioned that any other restaurants or visitor facilities exist aside from the Visitor Center in the movie version, it probably made more sense to instead use the name for the Visitor Center restaurant which was already shown.
  • edited November 2011
    Ah yes, that would place it in the Pteratops Lodge, the resort/hotel built overlooking the aviary, as tope1983 mentioned.

But since it is never mentioned that any other restaurants or visitor facilities exist aside from the Visitor Center in the movie version, it probably made more sense to instead use the name for the Visitor Center restaurant which was already shown.

No, the aviary is mentioned on page 141, and considerably farther back on the tour road, Les Gigantes hadn't even began construction, and was planned to be built on a bluff, which would mean they weren't together.

Tim looked up on the bluff, and saw nothing, Ed Regis said. "The restaurant won't even start construction until November." From page 143 of the Novel.

It's made clear in that chapter that they are in separate locations, the Les Gigantes has not even begun construction,the location just being an empty bluff(a hill/cliff) area at the time, but planned to be built near the Triceratops paddock, the aviary is seen close before the Dilo paddock.

Plus the Aviary was on the left of the road, and the Les Gigantes location on the right, all info taken from pages 141/142/143 of the Novel.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.