Jurassic Park Island

edited October 2011 in Jurassic Park
I dunno how much of this has been discussed before, but let me first applaud the makers of this game for what they have done. Managing to do what no one had ever done before (and yes, you should) lol

My question, however, lies in the setup of the park. I'm a bit nitpicky for details but there are certain ones that kinda stand out to me.

First off, The layout of the paddocks is shown very clearly in the shut down sequence. We see the layout of the roads, the paddocks, so on... but the tour map (which is also shown in the film but not in detail) is what you seem to have based your map on. Its been a long standing debate which illustrates the park better. We know Alan Grant, according to both the novel and final script, uses THIS map to navigate the park back to the Visitor Center. He also mentions the map right at the opening of the Galli sequence.

At the same time though, the shut down sequence shows a rather accurate 3D representation of the island. I figure the website might just be an easy and fun way to show off the sites for the game and may not be what is actually set up in the game as... but just in case...

I love the additions you've made and the rounding-out of the island with certain details I always dreamed and imagined would be there (actual 'rides,' the geothermal plant, the cruise liner dock and so fourth although the airport is still missing but we can chock that up to the island being incomplete).

But anyway, I was more curious about the changes made to the layout of the island, the reasoning's behind certain decisions, and the reason for choosing this 'cartoon-ey' map over the control room map.

Any answers would be great! Thanks so much for the amount of hard work you've put into this!

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I second that motion, I'm very curious to hear what lead to certain decisions in regards to an official map of the island and why. Why TT even felt it necessary to modify the park brochure map, I have no clue.
  • edited October 2011
    They did it to match THEIR game. And I bet that isn't even an official map, possibly just for certain creatures.
  • edited October 2011
    Can anybody in Telltale confirm if those are all dinosaur species in the game? Where are Stegosaurus or baryonix? To quote most important ones (canon dinos).
  • edited October 2011
    Where is metriacanthosaurus, segisaurus, and proceratosaurus?(rhetorical question) They couldn't have possibly fit all the dinos into the game. I still hope that telltale is not showing a couple dinos that will be seen in the game though. I can go for more hervivores. I love baryonyx, but i think we have enough theropods. The game will just feel clunky if full of a bunch of theropods attacking every 2 minutes.
  • edited October 2011
    Maybe that gate is hiding something...access to new dinos?
  • edited October 2011
    um i know this is being talked about in the other thread but did anyone notice the tour guide say "specimens" when speaking of tyrannosaurus (as in plural) mabey the juvi trex from the novel makes an appearance?
  • edited October 2011
    hightly doubt it...but anythings possible I guess
  • edited October 2011
    It could have been referring to the other Rexes on Sorna.
  • edited October 2011
    I think Sorna is an accepted location, although not directly mentioned. The Dilo being the 'newest' addition to the park. And the fact that most of the 15 species aren't shown as being on the island, and yet, we know that 15 species (of prehistoric animal) had viable embryos already produced.

I figure they're using the tour guide map as a means to show off the locations but not as a direct showing of the island layout. They obviously modified it for the site which I adore and think is brilliant!

I'm just curious about their decision process for the layout of the island
  • edited October 2011
    GAHHHH! I wish they hadn't been paying attention to the brochure when making their map. It's totally wrong. The only way it works is if it goes the LONG way around and if the Dilo pen is huge.
  • edited October 2011
    Those are some of the errors in that map...yea lol
  • edited October 2011
    actually it's the fault of the moviemakers.

they didn't pay a lot of attention to one official island map so it was hard for the fanbase to collect all suitable clues to CREATE one that works best.

the whole computer layout from the movie doesn't really make sense unless as a fan you invent some "rules" to justify what you see on screen.
    same goes with the brochure map.

jplegacy put really a lot of effort into that.

telltale obviously took the brochure map.

well. it doesn't really change that much, which map you choose.
    every single one has its faults.
    maybe some are more inaccurate than others.

all in all you can just approach to one working island but never reach it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.