Operation : Genesis pet peevs

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Playing Operation Genesis and Dr Sattler is amazingly annoying. I think this game would be perfect if it wasn't for her telling me a dryosaurus was dead, or my dilo had had a siezure or my triceratops was slipping into a coma. I mean I make sure all my dinosaurs are well fed and have access to water they start constantly collapsing where I eventually say "fuck it, let em die"

Anyone else have any pet peevs about this game?

PS: I heard if you hold [ + ] and repeatedly tap up your dinos don't get sick. But then you can't do anything else?! 0_o

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I love Operation Genesis, but you are absolutely right: from what I remember (it's been a while that I played it), the animals kept falling ill (and dying eventually). There are cheat codes, I had those, but I don't have the game here. You should be able to find them online though.

Hope it helps! When I got really frustrated, I would build a massive park with just Tyrannosaurs. After a while, when a ton of visitors were present, I would first remove the helicopter platform and then the fences - it was quite funny! ;)
  • edited November 2011
    The whole thing that frustrated me as what they promised and showed in the trailer never did end up in the actual game.
  • edited November 2011
    first of all, i know some of these "issues" have been overcome in the modding community, but i do wish the following had been part of the original game. firstly, i wish there was no limit to the number of units that could be held in a park. secondly, i wish all dinosaurs could be unlocked in the same game. lastly, i wish there was a dinosaur creation utility that allowed editing of a skin, stretching or changing the shape of the mesh in very simple ways, choosing a preset animation for each basic body type, setting behavioral characteristics, and the ability to scale the animals and add original sounds. for more advanced users, new meshes and new animations could easily be imported into the game's library. i think that would have been a really nice feature and i'm sure the community could have come up with some pretty awesome stuff. it also would have improved customer satisfaction because it would have resolved the single biggest gripe of "i wish _____ was in the game!" without investing additional resources on the development side.

one more thing: i wish there was a way to terraform and layout the park on 2d a map (think simcity or simlife), rather than doing everything in the 3d environment. for that matter, i wish fences ran on the gridlines and all other things occupied the spaces.
  • edited November 2011
    If not for cheats and mods, I wouldn't have nearly as much fun with the game as I do. My main pet peeve was something that was fixed in a mod, but until I got that mod, it was quite annoying. Naturally I enjoy Site B mode because I can clone a crap-ton of dinosaurs and watch them mingle. However, the Triceratops was unnaturally aggressive. I was watching a Tyrannosaurus one time and the poor fella was just tired, laid down to sleep, and then a Trike came over and gored him for no reason.
  • edited November 2011
    T002Tyrant wrote: »
    Playing Operation Genesis and Dr Sattler is amazingly annoying. I think this game would be perfect if it wasn't for her telling me a dryosaurus was dead, or my dilo had had a siezure or my triceratops was slipping into a coma.

The whole objective of the game is to earn a 5 star park rating, and I hate it. The player is able to clear all the objectives and upgrades far to early, leaving hours of gameplay spent just waiting for the final few stars. The game programmers realize this, and just throw Sattler at you in a desperate attempt to keep the player busy.
  • edited November 2011
    Great game, but I completely agree about being inundated with messages from Sattler and the others. A mailbox feature, where all the messages are sent to for your view at your leisure and skip over the ones you don't need to read, instead of constantly popping up on the screen, would have gone a long way to improve the game.

The limitations on the number of dig sites you can unlock is also silly. You can't even faithfully recreate the Park from the movie, or Isla Sorna, because the dinosaurs are spread over 9 different dig sites, and you are only able to unlock 5 (or 3 in the console version!).

Nice thing about the PC version is that it is very easy to modify the game files -- usually literally just changing a number in a text file -- to allow all the dig sites to be avilable. Same thing with the limit on the number of paths, fences, structures, visitors, total dinosaurs, etc. Increasing those limits (and giving yourself a more reasonable amount of money to start off) allows the player to really create the park as they want, and makes the game much more enjoyable.
  • edited November 2011
    One of my biggest pet peeves at the time was the Triceratops(with all the mods out there its not longer such a pet peeve). I was like this Trike does not look JP at all. All the dinosaurs looked very Jurassic Park From the JP3 Spinosaurus to the TLW Parasaurs, but the triceratops looked like the designers of the game said: "Im too tired to make a JP trike let me just make a generic one and hope that people don't care." I CARED! LOL
  • edited November 2011
    The only thing that i didn't like was how little there was to build in your park. There was only one type of food place, one type of bathroom, one type rest area. There were only three rides and over all there wasn't much extra to put in your park.

I really liked Zoo Tycoon. They had a lot of different themes you could use around your zoo. Like I could build a snow area in my zoo with snow covered shops and stuff like that. But Operation Genesis had very little extras like that so every park you built, aside from the dinosaurs you had in it, looked basicly the same.
  • edited November 2011
    Just had the weirdest glitch. I got bored and made a pen with 20+ T-Rexs and 20+ Spinosaurs, put a Jeep tour there. I had NO Dino Fights and the tour vehicle didn't get damaged. Amazing....To get any carnage I had to demolish the fences!
  • edited November 2011
    Which reminds me of another thing I didn't like about the game. It was too easy. I wanted the dinosaur to get out more often than they did without me having to do it myself. The only time I really have trouble is tornado season. But other that that the game doesn't give you much challenge.
  • edited November 2011
    Which reminds me of another thing I didn't like about the game. It was too easy. I wanted the dinosaur to get out more often than they did without me having to do it myself. The only time I really have trouble is tornado season. But other that that the game doesn't give you much challenge.

hell you should have played my part yestarday, i had 5 rampages within 20 mins all cars were attacked (1 fatalityout of 3 rides) and the ballon crashed and then had a twister to contend with so it wasnt an easy time!
  • edited November 2011
    Nice thing about the PC version is that it is very easy to modify the game files -- usually literally just changing a number in a text file -- to allow all the dig sites to be avilable. Same thing with the limit on the number of paths, fences, structures, visitors, total dinosaurs, etc. Increasing those limits (and giving yourself a more reasonable amount of money to start off) allows the player to really create the park as they want, and makes the game much more enjoyable.

How do you do this I have triede but it says they are locked and wont let me save them as the same file name, have tried god know how many times
  • edited November 2011
    It's a good idea to start off by researching the vaccines. This
    way, if you research all of them, and the upgrade to the hatchery, which
    automatically vaccinates dinosaurs when they are born, you will never have any
    outbreaks of disease, which can be expensive. The vaccines don't cost much to
    research, and take little time, so you won't be down to no money when you want
    to open the park.
  • edited November 2011
    spikesboy wrote: »
    How do you do this I have triede but it says they are locked and wont let me save them as the same file name, have tried god know how many times

Hmmm. It's always let me just save the modified file over. Have you gone under the properties and made sure they are not read-only? Or saving a copy to a different location, then moving the copy into the proper folder?
  • edited November 2011
    yep tried all of that Raptor and nothing so gave up and deleted the game off my pc wasnt very good anyway so im not really missing it, but thanks for trying to help
Sign in to comment in this discussion.