The Original Ending to JP?

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Has anybody else wished that good 'ol Steven Spielberg had finished the original ending for Jurassic Park before going with the T-Rex rescue?

so at least we could have gotten a deleted scene or pictures at least?

I know it's kinda anti-climactic(not as depressing as the Novel ending though lol), but I would have loved to see it anyway :(

Comments

• edited November 2011
    It was a cool idea. But i much prefer the ending the film has now. I do like the novels ending too though.
  • edited November 2011
    Don't get me wrong, the T-rex ending was the RIGHT choice for the film no doubt, but Hammond blowing away the last Raptor with a shotgun? Hammond is the MAN!
  • edited November 2011
    The ending they went with works a lot better for the film conclusion. The original ending worked great in the book, but reading something on paper and seeing it on the screen are two very different experiences. The movie ending is a lot more visually stunning, action-packed and climatic.

It would have been cool to see though, if it had been filmed and then included as a bonus feature. I'd always wished they'd filmed the scene of Lex and the baby triceratops too. But Spielberg was very cafeful and deliberate in deciding what scenes to cut before time and effort and money was spent to film them.
  • edited November 2011
    It was kinda ironic the dinosaur the very Rex that ahd been trying to eat them the whole movie came in and saved their butts at the last moment,perhaps it showed that showing the respect to a force of nature in the end had its benefits.

The movie ending was nothing short of awesome goodness,im also glad they didnt show or even mention the island getting bombed,just kinda leaving the dinosaurs there to have nature find its way
  • edited November 2011
    As long as they kept the "looking for the eggs" scene out. That's where the novel kind of drags. Needless danger and no one reading really cared since it was near the end and you knew none of the main characters were going to die there. What's my point? They chose the right parts of the book to include and the right parts to omit.
  • edited November 2011
    it always bothered me that the tyrannosaurus, after attacking the explorers, was like a ninja. after putting so much emphasis on the impact tremors, he's able to sneak up on the gallimimus and then on the raptors without as much as a sound. it always struck me as mildly unbelievable.
  • edited November 2011
    Wait, what?
  • edited November 2011
    He's talking about the fact that when we first see the rex we here BOOM BOOM BOOM! But when he shows up at the end he shows up all Ninja style by us not hearing him coming. Although, with two raptors chasing you down you wouldn't really be noticing the sounds of footsteps or slight tremors because your running for your life.

Johro, good point on that raptor cave. I was thinking the same thing when I read it again recently. It seemed like a very unnecessary risk taken for no other reason then to satisfy their own curiosity. I don't even think they brought weapons.
  • edited November 2011
    I mean, what's this original ending?
  • edited November 2011
    Although, with two raptors chasing you down you wouldn't really be noticing the sounds of footsteps or slight tremors because your running for your life.

the prey (grant, ellie, and the kids) may not have noticed him, but the predator who could potentially become the prey (the raptors) certainly would have. either way, to have the tremors in the scene, even if focus wasn't shifted to them, would have been good for the sake of consistency, even if they were softer and less frequent, like what one would imagine slowly, softly, sneakily stalking tyrannosaurus to sound like.
  • edited November 2011
    I mean, what's this original ending?

Before they came up with the Raptor vs T-Rex scene they had a different ending planned. The raptors would be killed by getting crushed by the giant T-Rex fossile after it colapsed leaving one Raptor remaining which would be shot by John Hammond who would show up at the last second to save them with a shotgun. But Spielberg thought that the T-Rex was the real star of the movie and seeing how he was only seen twice so far he figured it would be best to have him show up one last time at the end. And so the final scene in the film was born.
    the prey (grant, ellie, and the kids) may not have noticed him, but the predator who could potentially become the prey (the raptors) certainly would have. either way, to have the tremors in the scene, even if focus wasn't shifted to them, would have been good for the sake of consistency, even if they were softer and less frequent, like what one would imagine slowly, softly, sneakily stalking tyrannosaurus to sound like.

Yeah, but then the scene would not have been as surprising. It was an edge of your seat type of thing. You know, "Oh no the raptors gona get em'! It's jumping at em' Holy SH!T T-Rex out of no where!!!"
  • edited November 2011
    Hmmmm...as awesome as the idea of Hammond with a shotgun is, I'm gonna have to side with Spielberg.
  • edited November 2011
    Johro, good point on that raptor cave. I was thinking the same thing when I read it again recently. It seemed like a very unnecessary risk taken for no other reason then to satisfy their own curiosity. I don't even think they brought weapons.

I think that the reason they go after the raptor den is that they recognize the raptors as the most dangerous threat on the island (especially considering their migration), and in that den they may have survived to continue migration despite any aerial bombing of the island.

I'm pretty sure that they took toxic grenades to kill the raptors, and they do end up destroying all of them that they can find before they get out.

I think it's a great conclusion to the novel. This entire time they've been running and fighting to barely survive, but here and now they're going to risk everything to take responsibility for the mistake of creating the island's Frankenstein monster dinos (they're not strictly REAL dinos, if you remember the novel) and do their best to correct said mistake by confronting the most dangerous of said mistakes... those damned velociraptors.

Also, I have to disagree on the dino hatchery scene: it was one of my favorite in the novel and I thought it was great stuff. The tiny raptor still makes me sad, though =(.
  • edited November 2011
    it always bothered me that the tyrannosaurus, after attacking the explorers, was like a ninja. after putting so much emphasis on the impact tremors, he's able to sneak up on the gallimimus and then on the raptors without as much as a sound. it always struck me as mildly unbelievable.

A good predator must be able to stalk and approach its prey without being detected, or it runs the risk of scaring its meal off. When the rex attacked the gallis and the raptors, it was in "hunter mode," stepping like a ninja. Earlier on the main road however, the rex didn't have to as careful ambushing a goat that its been conditioned to know isn't able to run off.
    Right after feeding, the rex no longer has a need to be so quiet, and stomping around and roaring in order to chase intruders (in this case, our human heroes) out of its territory may actually be part of its natural behavior. :cool:
  • edited November 2011
    HooblaDGN wrote: »
    I think that the reason they go after the raptor den is that they recognize the raptors as the most dangerous threat on the island (especially considering their migration), and in that den they may have survived to continue migration despite any aerial bombing of the island.

I'm pretty sure that they took toxic grenades to kill the raptors, and they do end up destroying all of them that they can find before they get out.

I think it's a great conclusion to the novel. This entire time they've been running and fighting to barely survive, but here and now they're going to risk everything to take responsibility for the mistake of creating the island's Frankenstein monster dinos (they're not strictly REAL dinos, if you remember the novel) and do their best to correct said mistake by confronting the most dangerous of said mistakes... those damned velociraptors.

Also, I have to disagree on the dino hatchery scene: it was one of my favorite in the novel and I thought it was great stuff. The tiny raptor still makes me sad, though =(.

Actually, I'm not entirely sure that they knew at the time that there was going to be a bombing, Either way, avoiding the possibility of raptors surviving in the underground nest was not the main concern.

They knew how many raptors were bred originally, and they knew thanks to the counting system that the raptors were breeding and how many there were on the island at the time. They knew thanks to Tim (and Malcom's theory) that Raptors had gotten off of the island via the boat, but they didn't know how many. The only way to determine that was to count how many raptor eggs had hatched and subtract the number of wild-bred raptors were left on the island from that number.

And I'm pretty sure they didn't kill any of the raptors themselves, the raptors were taken out when the island was bombed.
  • edited November 2011
    @ DeeRayl: you're right, they never use any of the "MORO-12" Nerve Gas Grenades that they take with them.

I always assumed that the Raptors all swam out into the ocean when the big helicopter landed to get Grant, Ellie and Genarro, since the Novel states something like: Grant looks at the helicopter landing, and looks back to where the Raptors were on the beach a moment before, and they had all disappeared, "as if they were never there".
  • edited November 2011
    DeeRayl wrote: »
    Actually, I'm not entirely sure that they knew at the time that there was going to be a bombing, Either way, avoiding the possibility of raptors surviving in the underground nest was not the main concern.

They knew how many raptors were bred originally, and they knew thanks to the counting system that the raptors were breeding and how many there were on the island at the time. They knew thanks to Tim (and Malcom's theory) that Raptors had gotten off of the island via the boat, but they didn't know how many. The only way to determine that was to count how many raptor eggs had hatched and subtract the number of wild-bred raptors were left on the island from that number.

And I'm pretty sure they didn't kill any of the raptors themselves, the raptors were taken out when the island was bombed.

Well damn, right you are. I do have to admit to skipping my annual reading of JP this year.

Even with that in mind, I still think it's a great scene to end the story on. They HAVE been desperately trying to survive the entire book and now they have to take charge of their situation and deal with the ramifications of Hammond's monsters. And that realization that these things really ARE migrating.
  • edited November 2011
    I like the reminder of the novel's ideas about genetic engineering. In the films, InGen never admits to changing the genetic code of the animals with the exception of the extra bits they added in to complete the sequence and the faulty lysine production, but in the novels Wu (under Hammond's direction) went out of thier way to make dinosaur they thought people wanted to see as opposed to real animals.
  • edited November 2011
    It's a shame because if they had gone the novel's route that's how they could explain away raptors being the wrong sized and none feathered dinos
  • edited November 2011
    It could explain a lot of things. That's like the "A Wizard Did It" excuse of genetic engineering.
  • edited November 2011
    Elogotar wrote: »
    I like the reminder of the novel's ideas about genetic engineering. In the films, InGen never admits to changing the genetic code of the animals with the exception of the extra bits they added in to complete the sequence and the faulty lysine production, but in the novels Wu (under Hammond's direction) went out of thier way to make dinosaur they thought people wanted to see as opposed to real animals.

Ummm...no he didn't. He said that, in his opinion, the dinosaurs were not what people were wanting to see. He actually recommended to Hammond that they euthanize the entire stock and start over, altering the genetic code of the dinosaurs to make them slower and more docile. Docile for park safety, slower because that's what he felt the visitors to the park would want to see.

All he admitted to was the genetic modifications to make them dependent on lysine, to fill in gaps in the gene sequence, and to make certain that they were female.
  • edited November 2011
    Ummm...no he didn't. He said that, in his opinion, the dinosaurs were not what people were wanting to see. He actually recommended to Hammond that they euthanize the entire stock and start over, altering the genetic code of the dinosaurs to make them slower and more docile. Docile for park safety, slower because that's what he felt the visitors to the park would want to see.

All he admitted to was the genetic modifications to make them dependent on lysine, to fill in gaps in the gene sequence, and to make certain that they were female.

Ugh. Now that I read you're post I know you're right. Hate it when I remember something wrong. That's what I get for not reading the book for at least seven years.
  • edited November 2011
    Elogotar wrote: »
    Ugh. Now that I read you're post I know you're right. Hate it when I remember something wrong. That's what I get for not reading the book for at least seven years.

What's sad is that's one of the least memorable parts of the book, yet it's one that for some reason I remembered clearly. What's sad is that technically, Wu had a good idea, in part. I would've kept the "real" dinosaurs on Sorna for study, and put more docile ones in the park for people to "ooh" and "ahh" over without the running and screaming. But I think one of the things I like about the movie Hammond over the book version is that the movie Hammond began to understand just how dangerous his idea was and what it was going to cost them in human lives. The book's Hammond was already thinking of trying again elsewhere and hiring different people, immediately thinking that it was people that caused the park to fail.
  • edited November 2011
    T002Tyrant wrote: »
    It's a shame because if they had gone the novel's route that's how they could explain away raptors being the wrong sized and none feathered dinos

very true, a shame they didn't do so
Sign in to comment in this discussion.