The Lysine Contingency

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
I was just looking up the spelling for Lysine and found out something quite interesting on Wikipedia. Apparently, almost all vertebrates are unable to produce Lysine, rendering The Lysine Contingency moot in the real world. Just thought it was an amusing fact to share.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Elogotar wrote: »
    I was just looking up the spelling for Lysine and found out something quite interesting on Wikipedia. Apparently, almost all vertebrates are unable to produce Lysine, rendering The Lysine Contingency moot in the real world. Just thought it was an amusing fact to share.

:eek: We're all going to die!!!!!!!! :eek:

Nice find. :D I guess sci-fi is allowed some artistic licence :P
  • edited November 2011
    Elogotar wrote: »

Knew i should have borrowed those Lysine injections from work :eek: Were all doomed ;)
  • edited November 2011
    Actually, all the dinosaurs REQUIRED Lysine in their diet, feed to them by park personnel, otherwise they'd die. it was a genetic factor that they added intentionally so that without being fed that constant supply they'd die, they needed lysine, because thats how the scientists made them, it had nothing to do with it being naturally made, if they could naturally make it, the whole concept would of denying them lysine that would be kinda flawed
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah Romeo hit the nail on the head.
    They didn't claim to stop dinos making lysine; they ADDED genetic code to make them NEED lysine.

The fact nothing can produce lysine however, does play into how it failed. Lysine being gotten from nature etc.
  • edited November 2011
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    Yeah Romeo hit the nail on the head.
    They didn't claim to stop dinos making lysine; they ADDED genetic code to make them NEED lysine.

The fact nothing can produce lysine however, does play into how it failed. Lysine being gotten from nature etc.

Well that's the end of that chapter *throws scarf over shoulder*
  • edited November 2011
    I failed to point out that dinosaurs would've needed Lysine even without the modification. It's an essential amino acid, meaning that animals (and people) need it but are unable to synthesize it so it has to be ingested. Everything gets lysine from nature.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.