OMG I didn't expect that!

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
I thought I'd start a topic for all of us to discuss all the plot points that we didn't expect, or we're thinking of, or even little touches that made is squeak with excitement. Also for things that have annoyed us slightly.

Of course we've got at least 4 hours before we really get to grips and have played through a majority of the first episode but the topic is here!

Remember to use spoiler tags when you post!
Like this!

Comments

• edited November 2011
    T002Tyrant wrote: »
    Remember to use spoiler tags when you post!
    Like this!

For those who have no idea how to do this, put the word spoiler in brackets (they're next to the P) then write what you want to say then put the word /spoiler (yes with the slash) in brackets.

Example:
    I hear the T-Rex Pulls out a top hat and tap dances during the 4th episode
  • edited November 2011
    groucho983 wrote: »
    For those who have no idea how to do this, put the word spoiler in brackets (they're next to the P) then write what you want to say then put the word /spoiler (yes with the slash) in brackets.

Example:
    I near the T-Rex Pulls out a top hat and tap dances during the 4th episode
    LOL cool! test!
  • edited November 2011
    I REALLY hope the T-rex doesn't do that haha!!!
    :D
  • edited November 2011
    Voldemort kills Grant!
  • edited November 2011
    hope it works
    awesome
  • edited November 2011
    Voldemort kills Grant!

So how does Grant come back for the 3rd movie? Oh, horcruxes.
  • edited November 2011
    Okay this one is for real guy's, and it puts to rest a question that has come up multiple times in the past. Not really anything that spoils the story at all, but it's in regards to the other movies/continuity , so read at your own discretion.

Jess blatantly mentions Sarah Harding as Gerry's other daughter from another marriage/divorce
  • edited November 2011
    I have to say I LOVE how the bridged the book and movie canons together in some ways
    The restoration of the idea of the island being nuked as in the book was a good way to end things I felt, even if it was delayed compared to the novel timelines.
    I was actually kinda surprised with some of the killings, particularly at the end did not expect Sorkin to bite it.

Also total lol thing:
    Was it just me or did Sorkin remind people of Jane Lynch?
  • edited November 2011
    The way Sorkin is passive-agressive when it comes to Wu, leads my inner Freud to think she wants to bump uglies with him.
  • edited November 2011
    Just played the scene when Oscar dies. Reeeeeally creepy and sad, I liked that character...
  • edited November 2011
    Emo Hoe wrote: »

Also total lol thing:
    Was it just me or did Sorkin remind people of Jane Lynch?

YES! I thought that to myself while playing and if this were a movie, that's who would be playing her! She also kind of reminded me of
    Diane Ladd's character from Carnosaur with the whole "let the dinosaurs live and populate!" thing
  • edited November 2011
    My biggest OMG moment yet:
    The bloody remains of the other mercenary team. I didn't expect so much blood.
  • edited November 2011
    Here are some great moments I liked
    The fact that the other guy they found was still alive with Trodoon eggs in him. That was cool.

I thought the doctors death was unexpected. In fact, I was surprised any characters died at all. I thought everyone was going to get along at the end but Billy's transformation from likeable would be hero to a greedy and heartless villian was very well done. I liked his death too! When the rex showed up at the end and everyone froze I was like OH!!! Snap!! lol And then when Dr. harding kicked the can to the water. I thought the whole ending was very well done. Although, the boat going off to the sunset should have played a bit longer to give us a more conclusive feel instead of just kind of cutting off.

There are plenty of other moments I liked as well but I need to get back to playing! lol
  • edited November 2011
    Here are some great moments I liked
    The fact that the other guy they found was still alive with Trodoon eggs in him. That was cool.

I thought the doctors death was unexpected. In fact, I was surprised any characters died at all. I thought everyone was going to get along at the end but Billy's transformation from likeable would be hero to a greedy and heartless villian was very well done. I liked his death too! When the rex showed up at the end and everyone froze I was like OH!!! Snap!! lol And then when Dr. harding kicked the can to the water. I thought the whole ending was very well done. Although, the boat going off to the sunset should have played a bit longer to give us a more conclusive feel instead of just kind of cutting off.

There are plenty of other moments I liked as well but I need to get back to playing! lol

Totally agree with you on that
    They guy being alive, and having his intestines as a nesting place and a snack for their young really made them the creepiest dinosaurs to date.
    If they ever do a JP4 or every attempt to go back to Nublar in the films I hope they take the game into consideration.
    I also liked the field notes explaining the Raptor size and Dilo spit+frill

Another great moment are all the deaths pretty much, shows that telltale can do death, and can have a lot of fun with death scenes just like EA with Dead Space WHILE keeping it within the PG/Teen.
    My fav death is Gerry's head getting crushed by the container, makes me cringe every time
  • edited November 2011
    T002Tyrant wrote: »
    I also liked the field notes explaining the Raptor size and Dilo spit+frill

[/spoiler]
    Oh yes! The entire journal was a great read. I kinda wish the game had more stuff like that. Like you said, the way they mentioned that some things were off with the dinosaur was a very nice touch. In fact, the whole story about Wu using faster ways to bring these dinosaurs to life faster was a great part of the story.

Even though characters like Dr. Sorkin and Billy were villians we still were able to understand where they were coming from. Billy was angry with his friends dieing and not getting the respect he disvered from InGen. And the Dr had only good intentions in mind. And it's understandable she would be angry with InGen for taking her research away and giving it to someone who didn't fully respect it. Telltale did a great job giving us devolped characters. They were more devolped then the ones in the films to be honest.
  • edited November 2011
    that was so damn creepy, but i liked the idea a lot. it some of those facts we always forget when it comes to dinosaur behaviour
  • edited November 2011
    Everything mentioned here made me go ":O nice!". I would've like Troodon to get more attention though...seems like it didn't get much screen time for all the hype that surrounds it during the game.
  • edited November 2011
    I do wish we could have seen the bombing of Isla Nublar at the end, for some closure, instead of it just being suggested as happening after they left.
    to actually witness it is what I was hoping to see before or after the credits, even if they just showed a burst of fire or smoke..
  • edited November 2011
    synJP wrote: »
    Everything mentioned here made me go ":O nice!". I would've like Troodon to get more attention though...seems like it didn't get much screen time for all the hype that surrounds it during the game.

I agree, a lot of hype and a lot of build up for the Troodon's outside the game. But in the game it doesn't have much screen time. But I guess that's the point. And what we de see of them was really cool. They were the dinosaur versions of the red gnomes from Puzzle Agent. lol
  • edited November 2011
    I havent been able to download the game yet, I got a free episode from my JP blu-ray set. So here's my question: Does anyone stumble across Muldoon on their trek across the island in this new game? One of my biggest complaints with the film is nobody mentions the fact Muldoon is missing/hasnt returned to the emergency bunker. Answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • edited November 2011
    I havent been able to download the game yet, I got a free episode from my JP blu-ray set. So here's my question: Does anyone stumble across Muldoon on their trek across the island in this new game? One of my biggest complaints with the film is nobody mentions the fact Muldoon is missing/hasnt returned to the emergency bunker. Answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aside from Gerry (and Nedry's corpse, if you want to count that), there are no pre-existing Jurassic Park characters in this game. A whole lot of mentions (and Muldoon does get one), but no appearances.
  • edited November 2011
    Did anyone else here get the vibe that the
    Troodons were a nod to the Xenomorphs from Aliens? It was very much "what are they, where did they come from?" then the whole thing with them nesting in the geothermal plant ....in corpses of the fallen.....and using air ducts for travel as well as the whole "they mostly come out at night...mostly." thing with them?
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah, Aside from Nedry, Everyone just assumes everyone else got off the island on the boat.
  • edited November 2011
    Except for sorkin oscar and billy
  • edited November 2011
    There was also one death scene, when you are chased by the Troodons and take the wrong way you end up in a dead-end. The Troodons attack everyone and Jess is closing her eyes out of anxiety. That did OMG me as well, really scary.
  • edited November 2011
    piccobello wrote: »
    There was also one death scene, when you are chased by the Troodons and take the wrong way you end up in a dead-end. The Troodons attack everyone and Jess is closing her eyes out of anxiety. That did OMG me as well, really scary.

That was horrific!:eek:
  • edited November 2011
    I agree, a lot of hype and a lot of build up for the Troodon's outside the game. But in the game it doesn't have much screen time. But I guess that's the point. And what we de see of them was really cool. They were the dinosaur versions of the red gnomes from Puzzle Agent. lol

You've got to think, the less you see, the more the mystery, the more terrifying they are as a enemy. Remember Spielberg's Jaws, and the Raptors in Jurassic Park. You hear them, and see flashes of eyes. But you don't see one until the last 1/4 of the film.

PS: Mods, merge my post, I forgot I'd replied to this topic before, cheers...
  • edited November 2011
    What kind of mention does Muldoon get?
  • edited November 2011
    piccobello wrote: »

I agree that really disturbing!
    I thing Gerry and Jess were holding each other in that scene as everybody else died.
  • edited November 2011
    I didn't expect the third alternate "ending" that happens if you screw up the last QTE. I call it an ending because, unlike the other times you die, it continues on for a bit. Felt terrible for Jess, floating away on the boat as the T.rex munched on her dad and roared in triumph. And it even pulled out to the boat going away and I actually thought that it was being considered the ending.

Also, Rexie munching on Harding crotch-first. That had to be painful.
  • TB3TB3
    edited November 2011
    One thing I noticed on replaying Chapter One, which made me bounce around the room in elation;
    When Harding opens the first-aid-kit in the back of the jeep to disinfect Nima's wound, you can see a box inside the kit marked 'DX'

Lost World Novel reference ftw! Also, our first confirmation that DX exists in the movie-verse.

For those unaware, DX was a major element in the Lost World novel. Originally InGen raised the dinos in pens at the Isla Sorna laboratories, but a mysterious and fatal disease began to spread among the animal population, one the scientists named 'DX' - unable to stem the outbreak or indentify it, in desperation they turned the dinosaurs loose on Sorna in the hopes they would survive away from the labs. Malcolm and Sarah Harding later indentify it as a spongiform prion disease derived from the sheep-extract feed supplied by InGen for the carnivores. Much like Mad-Cow-Disease in bovines and humans, DX attacked the nervous systems of the dinosaurs, causing increasingly insane behaviour (the Sorna raptors had it bad in the novel, becoming so scitzophrenic that their social order fell apart) and finally death.

However, Telltale seem to suggest that in the movie-canon, InGen not only identified DX, but developed a method for treating it as well, judging by the presence of the box in the kit (they managed to freakin' find a cure for a prion disease, Nobel Prize territory...that's our brilliant InGeneers for you!).

But alarmingly, the fact that the counter-DX materials are present in a first aid kit intended for HUMANS, horrifically suggests that the disease has found a way to cross not just the species-gap, but the genus gap as well! Maybe this liability of an employee or guest becoming infected from one of the dinos is what forced them to put more effort into researching what DX was, and so find a cure...I sense Laura Sorkin's hand here, given she also managed to cure the freaking Lysine Contingency, which would require treating the dinosaurs at the genetic level!

Telltale, the new avenues you are opening up are incredible! I beg you to bring out a second season exploring this ideas!
  • edited November 2011
    I didn't expect the third alternate "ending" that happens if you screw up the last QTE. I call it an ending because, unlike the other times you die, it continues on for a bit. Felt terrible for Jess, floating away on the boat as the T.rex munched on her dad and roared in triumph. And it even pulled out to the boat going away and I actually thought that it was being considered the ending.

Also, Rexie munching on Harding crotch-first. That had to be painful.

the worst possible ending is you choose the can and fail the last QTE.
    The result is Jess is the only survivor.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    the worst possible ending is you choose the can and fail the last QTE.
    The result is Jess is the only survivor.

I think you mean the best :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.