Sam and Max Cameos!

edited October 2007 in Sam & Max
Sorry if this has been posted about before.

I was sitting around, idly watching some cartoons, when low and behold, I see SAM AND MAX in the background! It is in an episode of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends on Cartoon Network, the one where Bloo throws a 'wild house party', I believe the episode is even called 'House Party'.

They are about 4 minutes into it, when Bloo is walking through the crowd and greets an upside down friend "How's it hanging, Hangy?" You can clearly see our favorite rabbit and dog in the background drinking punch.

I was really excited about this for some reason, and it got me wondering if people knew other cool cameos of the dynamic duo (I know about the Jedi Knights one, and the map that was in the shape of Max's head.):D

Comments

• edited May 2007
    Here is a list of their video game cameos I just found on Wiki :D (Have yet to seen them say anything about the Fosters one I listed)
    wiki wrote:
    * Another game by LucasArts, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, featured collectible items called Challenge Points. Most of the points were in the shape of the Rebel Alliance's logo, although one of them, located on the 6th level just outside Mos Eisley, was shaped like Max's head.
    * Star Wars: Dark Forces, by LucasArts, contained a level map with a secret room made to appear like Max's head on the automap.
    * Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, by LucasArts, featured a hostile 3D model of Max in a hidden room.
    * Full Throttle by LucasArts, featured a Max's head drawn on a wall during a demolition derby.
    * Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure by Lucasfilm Games (now LucasArts), featured a wood totem of Sam & Max at Dr. Jones office.
    * In Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis Max can be seen in a shadow play. Play the Team Path, visit the Hotel in Monte Carlo, switch off the light and use the flashlight.
    * Day of the Tentacle featured a painting of Max in the inn back in the past.
    * Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds featured a level with a clearing of trees shaped like Max's head.
    * Torin's Passage, a 1995 adventure game by Sierra On-Line, featured two skunks named Sam and Max.
    * Steve Purcell worked as a background artist and animator on the first and second Monkey Island games. Sam & Max make guest appearances in all four Monkey Island games.
    o In The Secret of Monkey Island there is an idol near the Giant Monkey Head that looks unmistakably like Sam & Max.
    o In Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, the costume shop on Booty Island features a pair of Sam & Max costumes; however, both costumes are too expensive for the protagonist, Guybrush Threepwood, to rent.
    o Curse of Monkey Island, features a shape of Max's head in a lightshow on Plunder Island, at the stage. There is also a sign in the carnival referencing to Trixie the Giraffe-Necked Girl, one of the characters in Sam & Max.
    o In Escape from Monkey Island, Sam N. Max is one of the potential aliases for Pegnose Pete.
    o Curse of Monkey Island, also features a portrait of Max the Barbery Coast, hidden behind Edward Van Helgen.
    * In Outlaws, a western first person shooter game by LucasArts, one of the additional missions contains a secret area which hides Max, who wields two pistols and shoots at the player. Killing Max plays an audio insult.
  • edited May 2007
    I just watched this episode, specifically the part you mentioned, and I don't see them.
  • edited May 2007
    Well I saw a low res clip of it and I spotted a white rabbity thing but couldn't see Sam. If I come up with anything else I'll report in.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2007
    Venom wrote: »
    They are about 4 minutes into it, when Bloo is walking through the crowd and greets an upside down friend "How's it hanging, Hangy?" You can clearly see our favorite rabbit and dog in the background drinking punch.
    I see a rabbit - it looks more like a peep than Max though. :p I don't see anything resembling a dog.

Unless I'm missing something. Am I looking at the right scene?

fosters.jpg
  • edited May 2007
    Is that Sam in the bottom left corner?
  • edited May 2007
    I see the rabbit, but the thing in the bottom left looks more like a Saskewatch then Sam. :/
  • edited May 2007
    I think he means the rabbit and the thing a little to the right from top center. If you stare at it long enough, it looks like Sam. But I doubt it was intentional.
  • edited September 2007
    I just played Indiana Jones: the last crusade, and I found that totempole with S&M, but how can that be. This game was made in 1990, and hit the road in 1993:confused:
    I'm confused...
  • edited September 2007
    Jostein wrote: »
    I just played Indiana Jones: the last crusade, and I found that totempole with S&M, but how can that be. This game was made in 1990, and hit the road in 1993:confused:
    I'm confused...

Steve Purcell worked at LucasArts even BEFORE "Hit the Road" was made... he did several graphics for the earlier games and even painted the box-art for the first two "Monkey Island"-games!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    Sam & Max have existed as characters since the 70s, and were first published in a comic book in 1987, so they pre-date Indy by a bit.
  • edited September 2007
    I see. Thanks for the answer. It's kind of a promo for purcells game to come + his cartoons.:D

Clever...
  • edited September 2007
    Where can I see a video clip of that episode?
  • edited September 2007
    Venom wrote: »
    Here is a list of their video game cameos I just found on Wiki :D (Have yet to seen them say anything about the Fosters one I listed)
    SamMaxWampaTrainers.jpg
  • edited September 2007
    max can be seen in day of the tentacle in the past in painting I know loads more but other people can post 8D
  • edited September 2007
    Post #2 mentions most of them, I think (hm, quite a bump by the way). Much more than Hit the Road, it's all these cameos that make Sam & Max a powerful symbol of the Lucasarts adventures, thereby adding great symbolic/historic value to Season One.
  • edited September 2007
    I hear Max is a weapon in Jedi Knight... :D

And despite my love of Lucasarts adventure games, their only cameo I've seen was in Last Crusade...can anyone name others? (Save the Maniac Mansion one mentioned)
  • edited September 2007
    I believe he turns up on the wall of the Corville demolition derby arena in Full Throttle
  • edited September 2007
    You know I haven't played Full Throttle already... ;)

Oh, well. More incentive to play it, I suppose.
  • edited September 2007
    also max appears in monkey island 3 and in grim fandango as a poster on the wall in the tattoo place in rubacava. Then there is monkey island 2 in the costume shop, max is a costume there
  • edited September 2007
    there is no episode called "House Party"
    Did you by chance mean "Partying Is Such Sweet Soiree"?

Edit: OK, I just watched that episode, and it obviously is the episode you meant, because it matches you descriptions. There is a rabbit, that looks a bit like Max, but I can't see any dog, that looks like Sam.
    Or any dog at all.
  • edited September 2007
    Kitmit13 wrote: »
    Then there is monkey island 2 in the costume shop, max is a costume there
    Ah, now I remember that one...
  • edited September 2007
    Kedri wrote: »
    Ah, now I remember that one...

It's a chance I have the complete monkey island collection!

I think the first time I have seen Sam and Max were in Monkey Island 1 or 2...
  • edited October 2007
    Sorry for the bump, but I think you might find these interesting:
    8yw7pz.jpg

30920bp.jpg
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    Is that from MI1 or 2?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    The first shot is from Monkey 1, the second from Monkey 2. (Steve Purcell did background art and some character animation on both games, and painted the box art to both as well.)
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    I've only played the first third of Monkey Island 1 and none of MI2. I have both of them, though (the White Label pack). :o
  • edited October 2007
    Unless I overlooked it that list of cameos above also completely leaves out their cameo in a fun but not very popular Sim City-style game from Lucasarts called Afterlife (where you were in charge of simultaneously building Heaven and Hell for virtuous and wicked souls).

Like Sim City, there were various "disasters" that could set you back, and two extra ones that could be unlocked with easter eggs. One of them caused a very large Max to gleefully jump around your structures stomping them into rubble. The other produced a death star.
  • edited October 2007
    and of course the oldest Sam and Max cameo placed on the Kilpeck church in 1140:

Kilpeck_hound_%26_hare_corbel.jpg
  • edited October 2007
    ^ Wait....wtf?
  • edited October 2007
    It's simple. Sam and Max went back in time to the 12th century, and had some shennanigans in England, were probably praised as prophets and carved on the walls of the church so that everyone could remember them after they were mysteriously buried alive as can be seen here: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/comics/samandmax/issue-1

lol!

And yes, the above picture is a real carving on a real church dating back to somewhere around 1140 AD.
  • edited October 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    The first shot is from Monkey 1, the second from Monkey 2. (Steve Purcell did background art and some character animation on both games, and painted the box art to both as well.)

wow awesome I didn't know that
    By any chance (im sure he does) does he know tim schafer :0?
  • edited October 2007
    i got a message form gametap a few days ago.... guess whos in it?

73gly0.jpg
  • edited October 2007
    See, the PSP is so rubbish they're just giving them away! ;)
  • edited October 2007
    even though i already have one (which i rarely use anymore) i dont think i would need another one....... espically one that max had his way with :D

it would probably have teeth marks on it, and smell like skunk most likely....
    maybe even a bullet hole...... or two....... or three............
  • edited October 2007
    Then gawsh darnit get ME a free PSP. You don't want it so it doesn't matter that you're handing it to a stranger.

Anyway a bullet hole is probably an improvement to the PSP
  • edited October 2007
    zomg I want a PSP (I have one) but I want to sell it 8D
  • edited October 2007
    PSPs are great when you get homebrew running on them. Getting Nethack playing on it, running AFKIM (an MSN / YIM / etc client), and changing the TV channel with it just to confuse everyone else is awesome. Best of all: Cave Story on the PSP.

Shame Sony are doing everything they can to stomp homebrew out. =/
  • edited October 2007
    Don't let the man keep you down. You make those homebrews. Stick it to the man!

... I'm sorry but I had to finally mention, I reeeeeally hate how Max is edited to be holding a PSP. It's totally not a "giving you a free PSP" pose. Plus it's looking too generous for Max.
  • edited October 2007
    ... I'm sorry but I had to finally mention, I reeeeeally hate how Max is edited to be holding a PSP. It's totally not a "giving you a free PSP" pose. Plus it's looking too generous for Max.

Heh. It's the same "ooh, look at that" pose that they used in a different ad around Easter.
  • edited October 2007
    I have seen several pictures of Max like that lol
Sign in to comment in this discussion.