[JP] Can't unpack files

edited November 2011 in Game Support
I already downloaded the zip file 3 times and I always have crc errors when unzipping the files default_com.exe and JP103_com.exe

Anny suggestions?

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Same problem here, tried again throgh Chrome and the files are still corrupt.

! C:\Temp4cd2\JurassicPark100_Setup.zip: CRC failed in Components\JP103_com.exe. The file is corrupt
    ! C:\Temp4cd2\JurassicPark100_Setup.zip: CRC failed in Components\JP104_com.exe. The file is corrupt
    AND

Name Setup
    Error opening file for writing:

\Launcher\Thumbs.db

This is on a fresh restart, downloaded through a new browser. No previous versions of install running.

Wasted 12gb of bandwidth on this so far, no luck at all. I'm getting the whole file but it's just corrupt every time. Tried with Antivirus off, tried updating winzip, tried opening the file from a different drives...
  • edited November 2011
    What's your total file size when the download finishes?
  • edited November 2011
    Total size is 2.56 gigs.

I think I may have figured this out, but I need a little input. I noticed that every time I tried to extract this, it was dumping several 70-80 meg files onto my root C: directory, so I moved the zip there. The individual packets didnt unzip, but the installer ran and actually installed the full Episode one! It seems like the .zip had some code to extract directly to the C: directory.

My question now is should it have installed all 4 episodes or will it do that only after I've completed the first one?

I'm assuming the file checksums were due to these odd files not being in the right directory, or the fact that the Jurassicpark100setup.exe file creates them and needs them to unzip the main package itself.

In any case, for people with this problem, try dragging the zip to your root c:\ directory and just running the setup file without unzipping the whole package, it may work!
  • edited November 2011
    I'm not seeing anything like that over here, but I'm using Winrar for the file. What are you using to unarchive the downloaded file?
  • edited November 2011
    Same thing, winrar. I was trying to unzip it from a directory I use for downloads but the game kept dumping files to c:\ a bunch of .ttarch files.

edit: these files don't show up in the main .zip
  • edited November 2011
    How are you unzipping the file, exactly? I'm just right-clicking it and choosing Extract Files. If you could walk me through exactly what you're doing in Winrar to cause files to get dumped into the root directory, I'd appreciate it, because I'm stumped on that one here. Thanks.
  • edited November 2011
    Okay, here's what I just did. So close! I got 3 chapters to install that time!

1. Deactivate Antivirus, Avira in my case.
    2. Drag main zip to c:\
    3. Drag all files out of the main zip (this is where things go haywire, sometimes they come out corrupt, sometimes no. On the second try I got 3 chapters to work.
    4. Run installer, don't change the default directory.

e: good idea, I'll try hitting the extract button
  • edited November 2011
    If you're using Windows 7, if you right-click the zip file and then click properties, do you see a security option at the bottom of the general tab? If you do, try clicking unblock and tell me if that makes any difference at all.

I hate to tell you to wait until tomorrow, but I'm out of ideas on this one and we're well outside of business hours. If that doesn't resolve the issue for you, I'll make sure it gets looked at it in the morning.
  • edited November 2011
    Okay, I unblocked it earlier but the problem is that file 2 comes out corrupt 70% of the time and file 4 is always corrupt, according to winrar. This is really hit or miss, and I have no idea what could be causing the changes but I am not making any changes to these files whatsoever.

If you have any power to change this, please try to make each episode available individually. BTTF worked like a charm and ran perfectly.

Thanks for sticking with me on this, I had given up earlier and was just moving things around and got a little to install accidentally.
  • edited November 2011
    I actually got it to do a full install though it took a few tries.

When I unpacked the zip in Winrar I went to "extract to" and then checked "keep broken files" so it wouldn't wipe the files it found corrupt. Then I ran the installer.

That's where it got a little dicey. On the first install it installed Parts 2, 3, and 4. That was the first time I got part 4 to install. I ran the install again, it unpacked parts 1 and 3. the third time I got a clean install of all 4 parts.

No idea why it did this, but at least now it's playable. Definitely needed to have that box checked or never would have got part 4.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2011
    It's rather unusual that you get different results by running winrar multiple times.
    If you are interested in narrowing it down there are a few things we can try.

First of all i would try a separate md5 check on the JurassicPark100_Setup.zip.

Please download and install Hashcheck.
    Then unzip and copy the attached MD5 File into the folder that contains the JurassicPark100_Setup.zip you downloaded from Telltale.

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.
    Green: File is okay.
    Yellow: File is missing.
    Read: File is corrupt.

If the file is okay, you can try if unzipping it with 7-Zip instead of winrar works without errors.
  • edited November 2011
    I had this same problem myself after downloading the zip file today. If you were trying to extract the files inside by dragging, right clicking or copying and pasting them into another folder, they won't work. What I had to do was unpack them manually trough Winzip (highlight all five files and click the extract icon from the top bar). Pick a folder to extract them to from the "extract to..." menu that comes up, and then just click the extract button. You should be able to do it from any folder you like, as long as the first four .exe files come up within their own automatically generated folder titled "Components". The Jurassicpark100setup.exe file should come out on its own - click on that to start installing. If you've done everything right, and the other four files turn up in their separate "Components" folder after you extract them, the install should work just fine. Good luck :)
  • edited November 2011
    I solved it with disabling kaspersky, downloading again and tada: files work.
  • edited November 2011
    Okay, I redownloaded with Avira turned off and the file passed the hashcheck. I Opened winrar, hit the extract button, and default_com.exe was corrupt.

Ran hashcheck again, it failed. What?!? Virus scan is off.

Extracted default_com.exe by manually dragging to the Components folder, and it works.

This is all over the place, I don't get it!

edit: this is nuts, now it matches again!
  • edited November 2011
    The file seems to be becoming corrupted during the download. A few more questions for you:

Are you using a proxy or behind a firewall?

Who is your ISP? Is it a satellite internet service or something similar?

Are you on a network at a school?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Jokerfish wrote: »
    Okay, I redownloaded with Avira turned off and the file passed the hashcheck. I Opened winrar, hit the extract button, and default_com.exe was corrupt.

Ran hashcheck again, it failed. What?!? Virus scan is off.

These kind of non-deterministic results sound more and more like there could be a hardware issue with your memory or CPU.
    Is your system overclocked in any way?
  • edited November 2011
    Not overclocked at all, but I just installed twice by making 2 changes.

1. Uninstalled Avira completely and rebooted. I've been suspicious of it for a few weeks now, since they put out that major update and redesign. Steam files have been coming up bad too, and I've run full chkdsk scans, memory tests, and virus scans with more than one program all coming up clean. I think it was Avira's realtime scanner.

2. Unzipped with Winzip rather than Winrar. Installed, worked the first time. Retried extracting it a few more times, worked fine. Tried again with winrar, ERROR. Reran hash check, good. Winzip works every time, winrar refuses to work at all. I'm running the 64 bit version of winrar if that helps.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good, free antivirus?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Jokerfish wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for a good, free antivirus?

Here's a comparison of various Security products.

I recently changed from Avira free to AVG free, and i like it.
  • edited November 2011
    I typically use MSSE; it doesn't interfere with my archive use unless the archive actually contains something harmful.
This discussion has been closed.