Is this another BTTF?

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
So I didn't immediately pre-order this one because of the disappointment that Back to the future turned out to be (way to easy and "casualized" for fans of the movie, rather then actual gamers)
What's the general consensus of Jurassic Park for those who have played it? More of the same? Is it more challenging?
Or is this another ~$10 steam sale purchase.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    It's a "Press-X-To-Not-Die"-game. What I have seen of it it's completely quicktime-event based.

Watch the first few minutes of this to see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2nFqcQYqts
  • edited November 2011
    I'm not done (just beat Episode 2 today), so I can't give a complete opinion yet, but from what I've played so far...

The game is more difficult than BttF, but that's because of the QTE sequences. The exploration sequences (which are a little closer to Telltale's previous games, looking around and solving puzzles) are pretty simplistic. The exploration sequences aren't nearly as bad as BttF was, but they still don't pose much of a challenge.
  • edited November 2011
    Well I can give you 2 perspectives on this.

I play a lot of games and to be honest so far there haven't been too many challenges with the exploration sequences where you are supposed to move around the scenes. Being fair there have been a few that have made me think because I wasnt looking big picture enough. Though I still find the QTE to be very fun and challenging at times and sometimes too challenging.

I have also let my mom play the game since she never really ever played a computer game. She so far has found the mechanics to be a fair challenge but still is able to have fun with the game.
  • edited November 2011
    Stoibs wrote: »
    So I didn't immediately pre-order this one because of the disappointment that Back to the future turned out to be (way to easy and "casualized" for fans of the movie, rather then actual gamers)
    What's the general consensus of Jurassic Park for those who have played it? More of the same? Is it more challenging?
    Or is this another ~$10 steam sale purchase.

I like how you make not being part of the target audience their fault somehow.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    It's a "Press-X-To-Not-Die"-game. What I have seen of it it's completely quicktime-event based.

It's not though. The game alternates between QTE or 'Action Scenes' and 'Exploration Scenes.'

You spend most of your time in Exploration Scenes playing at your own pace. The Action Scenes change the tempo and bridge the more expository scenes with exciting and potentially deadly QTE-like challenges.

The Exploration Scenes, though, are still designed to have a cinematic pace so long as the player is actively interacting with the game-- (sure you can put the controller down and walk away, and the game will sit idle... which is NOT very cinematic... but you know... that's not really "playing.") They expose plot points and dialog, that you may or may not investigate.

You don't control the players directly, but you still sort of role play them-- if I had to make an analogy, it's like you are an audience member who watches from the director's chair. You get to call the shots and direct the scene to make the story play out in a way that follows your own instincts and curiosity. At the same time, where the story is going is kept fresh and suspenseful - for the audience side of the equation. The characters and the dinosaurs are following a script, but looking to you to hit their marks and unfold the story the way that feels natural to you. Of course... the dinosaurs are completely out of your control >:D

The promotional videos on the internet tend to just show Action Scenes (the QTE stuff) because that's the most thrilling to view without actually holding a controller in your hand-- but it is probably a only slightly more than a third of the game's overall experience. The QTE moments are a varied mix of difficulty-- some are perfectly benign and let you try over and over again until you accomplish the task, while others may forgive a few fumbles here and there before penalizing (or rewarding, depending on your level of sadism) you with a deadly game over. Some moments are bigger and are simply do-or-die. These are moments when it seems there is no where left to go but down T-Rex's gullet.

Give it a try and tell us what you think!
  • edited November 2011
    der_ketzer wrote: »

Nope, there are plenty of areas of the game that are not quick time events. There are puzzles in each episodes that you actually have to think in order to get past. So it's not all the QTE's. Only the action scenes are. In between those there are areas that give you time to interact with different characters, search the enviroments, and look for clues to progress the story. I thought the bone shaker puzzle was cool. And the blue prints one was cool as well.

But yeah, it's not all QTEs so lets not start telling people that.
  • edited November 2011
    It's a game you play more for the story and the journey rather than the challenge of traditional gaming. Much like the comparison they've already made...Heavy Rain. Although, the game is more A to B than Heavy Rain, I still enjoyed it.
  • edited November 2011
    Nope, there are plenty of areas of the game that are not quick time events. There are puzzles in each episodes that you actually have to think in order to get past. So it's not all the QTE's. Only the action scenes are. In between those there are areas that give you time to interact with different characters, search the enviroments, and look for clues to progress the story. I thought the bone shaker puzzle was cool. And the blue prints one was cool as well.

Thanks, I already knew about the "Heavy Rain" (one of my favourite games btw) inspired action segments, I was more concerned at the fact that because they were pretty much all that was shown in trailers, the puzzles and whatnot would be lacking or non existent.
  • edited November 2011
    I find this game to be closer to heavy rain then anything I have played recently. When I say that I mean control wise. Not exactly the same but the same idea. I think this game uses QTE well and they have added a twist to QTE gaming I haven't seen before. The QTE's can be challenging. I have enjoyed the game being a fan of JP. Not sure how this experience would feel to a non JP fan.
  • edited November 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    Give it a try and tell us what you think!

I will as soon as I get a PC that can play your newer games. Depends on what more I see of Episode 1.

I didn't. ;)
  • edited November 2011
    Stoibs wrote: »
    I was more concerned at the fact that because they were pretty much all that was shown in trailers, the puzzles and whatnot would be lacking or non existent.

The puzzles are very light, and this is coming from someone who doesn't do much adventure gaming. But it makes sense though, because the pace the game wants to achieve would be ruined by over usage of traditional adventure gaming.

I prefer the term interactive machinima for a game like this, because its really just a videogame movie with minimal but satisfying interaction.
  • edited November 2011
    I prefer the term interactive machinima for a game like this, because its really just a videogame movie with minimal but satisfying interaction.

Thanks for that opinion.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.