Seriously, did Telltale Games any sort of fixing the last months?

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
As I was looking forward to this game and actually pre-ordered the deluxe edition I have to say that this game isn't optimized AT ALL!

Reading a lot of posts here I am not the only person having problems.
It seems that Jurassic Park: The Game lacks a lot of optimization, even on PS3!

The game is nearly unplayable at the highest settings, even if your computer easily reaches the recommended specs. Turning on the DOF leads to massive stuttering and lags resulting in desynchronized audio and freezes for more than a whole second. A lot of QTE aren't beatable, scenes are cut or getting repeated.

Especially at the very beginning of Episode 1 there occur some major bugs.
During the Triceratops scene, where Gerry and Jess are overlooking the pen and the player uses the binocular, some dialogues are repeated. This is not a PC only issue. PS3 users are having the same problem.

I completed Episode I and replayed the 2nd scenario of it several times with different settings to find out that the repeated dialogue always occurs.
As this is at the very beginning of the game and TTG wanted to publish this episode already 7 months ago, I am wondering what sort of fixing there has been during the last half year? Any at all?
Or was the game in the april edition even more annoying?

Sorry to say that but especially for a cinematic experience JP:TG isn't polished at all. I feels rushed and sloppy.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Youre right, I noticed some dialogue skippings as well. Cutscenes often are to fast.
    Youve completed a scene and expecting a little fade or something, but no - it just throws you into the new scene without a break - which destroys the cinematic atmosphere on my opinion.

Though I am playing on highest possible graphic settings it doesnt lag for me at all.
    But the shadows are terrible, its like they are made of 5 big pixels.

I dont wont to judge the graphics, but ive seens those shadows the last time 20 years ago.
  • edited November 2011
    this is all i can think of with these bugs

John Hammond: "When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked." Ian: "Yeah, but John,if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down,the pirates don't eat the tourists."

:V guess the game is really living up to the scenario
  • edited November 2011
    you're right. I am only on episode 1 but this freezing and lagging is driving me nuts. I am on the QTE right after you find the canister, and the performance was ridiculous. At one point it froze for about 5 seconds and I could hear what was going on, but the video had frozen.
    It certainly isn't my PC, because it's more than adequate for highest settings.
    I'm a bit disappointed that the game got released in this state.
  • edited November 2011
    Oh great.

I quitted the game to go shopping, now I am back and cant get to the menu anymore.
  • edited November 2011
    I agree with everyone here. I'm relieved to hear that others are having similar problems because I was worried that all the problems stemmed from my computer.

Personally, I haven't experienced lags but the audio syncing and the shadow issues make the game difficult to enjoy.
  • edited November 2011
    I really dislike the transitions, sometimes the tense music for one scene abruptly stops when going to the next scene... You are correct, it totally destroys the "cinematic expereince" they chose to create instead of a traditional game. I think they got the cinematic feel down perfect for everything else, but the transitions from scene to scene are sometimes incredibly poor...
  • edited November 2011
    I've just started episode one and the bit where the girl is looking through the binoculars I get repeated dialogue and a stuttering frame rate, i know it isn't my pc as I just played battlefield 3 on the highest settings earlier and it ran perfectly. I really like Telltale games but their games are so buggy do they even test the games themselves, the Q&A department sucks. also the bit where you have to retrieve the cannister from Nedrys van was so jerky I missed QTE's, I really like the look of this game but is unplayable at the moment I really hope Telltale patch this game up.
  • edited November 2011
    i mean really i can over look the graphics or the lag or any of the little bugs
    i could over look any of that IF I COULD JUST PLAY FUCKING EPISODE 2
    i am not in the mood to go through the entire first episode all over again and pray that episode 2 will play. i like the game it's neat but if i cant play the rest of the game i m just very disappointed i wish they would just say don't worry working on a patch asap or something but they just leave us here twiddling our thumbs hoping for the best
  • edited November 2011
    I have the same question...

I have a mac more than ready to run this game and I have shadows that are just big pixels, slowdowns and audio that is not synchronized...
  • edited November 2011
    I was hoping the performance problems would go away, but I have just reached the T-Rex scene and the stutterring just ruins the cinematic experience. Are these problems throughout the entire game? <sigh>
  • edited November 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    I was hoping the performance problems would go away, but I have just reached the T-Rex scene and the stutterring just ruins the cinematic experience. Are these problems throughout the entire game? <sigh>

I could minimize my stuttering and lag-problem by adjusting the graphical settings. Going down from HIGHEST to HIGH deactivates post-processing like DOF (depth of field) but the game now runs much smoother.
    Unfortunately this issue also occurs on high-end pcs.
  • edited November 2011
    Oh no, that doesnt sound good. I had problems with cut off dialogue and bad lip synching with the german Bttf version and that really damaged the feel of the game. I was really hoping they would fix that in JP. Hopefully they'll do a patch
  • edited November 2011
    Currently having a problem on the PC version where my mouse disappears while in-game, but reappears when back on the game's menu. I've quit and am just about to restart and see if that helps...
  • edited November 2011
    What really makes me wonder besides what people here have mentioned is that, who thought to themselves, having people having to skift through and apply each resolution to get to the resolution you wanna use was a good idea?.

I mean that shows some seriously lack on how to make games. Some monitors actully cant show some resolutions and since the mouse position moves when you scale up resolution you cant click next with a black screen.

Is companies trying to piss off PC gamers, or are you just so respectless that you just dont care and we are just getting some crummy PC port that nobody has inspected for more than 5min.

My faith in telltale has really dropped lately, its sad seeing the quality of their games drop to such a low standard

The game also has very poor audio, why does every single new game from Telltale suffer from this? why wont you learn? but you change stuff to the worse that works. Remove the resolution stuff and let me select my resolution before using said resolution.

It becomes increasingly hard not to become mad and even enraged at Telltale games.

You might as well just have the guts to come up front and either stupid making PC games, if the best we can expect is such a bad consol port to be honest with you.

Im almost afraid to think of what state the PC version would be in if the game had not be delayed, could it have been even worse ? :O
  • edited November 2011
    An issue I've been having is a startup failure. I've installed the game, and it works fine on the second to highest graphic settings, although I've encountered one instance where the game froze in episode one.
    What happens, however, is that if I want to boot the game and click the desktop icon, nothing happens, although the game process is starting according to Task Manager. I need to end the process in Task Manager, then start the game again and it works fine.

Oh, and just for the record, I run the game on an Intel i7 Quad-core processor with 12GB of ram and a 1GB nVidia graphics card.
  • edited November 2011
    An issue I've been having is a startup failure. I've installed the game, and it works fine on the second to highest graphic settings, although I've encountered one instance where the game froze in episode one.
    What happens, however, is that if I want to boot the game and click the desktop icon, nothing happens, although the game process is starting according to Task Manager. I need to end the process in Task Manager, then start the game again and it works fine.

Oh, and just for the record, I run the game on an Intel i7 Quad-core processor with 12GB of ram and a 1GB nVidia graphics card.

This is being discussed in another thread. When you close the game it exits out to a window. Sometimes this isn't visible and is still running the background. You cannot launch the game again because the last instance never closed. It seems the only way to open it up is to close it via the task manager as you figured out.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    It saddens me to hear about your guys' trouble with the game.

Not that I could troubleshoot each and every one of your issues, but simply appending system specs to your posts could help expose troublesome hardware.

None of the versions are ports in the strictest sense-- they are all developed simultaneously with the same data and tools, much like how engines like Unity, Unreal and Torque compile to various platforms from a single project.

The only special treatment that PC got was an entire alternate control scheme for people who want to play on a PC but don't have a controller.

But you gotta think about the fact that there is one basic XBox configuration, one basic PS3 configuration, only 2 iPads... but a nearly uncountable combination of PC configurations.

As for the graphics quality options fixing up a lot of things-- you should try that-- the graphics quality settings are simple, and basically just disable various effects in a smart order to help extend back compatibility with older cards and DirectX versions.

Good luck! I hope you find a configuration that allows you to play through from start to finish as smoothly as possible.
  • edited November 2011
    Does TTG run closed betas prior to release? As surely with a decent sample set say 60/40 (PC/Mac) they could have avoided some of these issues.

For me, so far, I just have blocky shadows (most noticeable so far in Ep 1, sc3 where the blokes lapel / neck area is this large blocked mass that isn't pretty) and choppy speech audio which is somewhere between stuttering and overlapping. I do partly put it down to running OS X Lion which isn't as smooth on my system as Snow Leopard was.

System Specs: 13" Mac Book Pro, 2.53Ghz, 4 GB ram, 5400 rpm HD (not stock), NVidia 9400M 256m, 1280x800 running OS X 10.7.2 (and XP in boot camp). Running JP in default settings, except bumped res from 1024x768 to 1280x800.

I will say it playing smoother than BTTF did on my system.
  • edited November 2011
    The game looks even uglier than I thought and it still lags. What an effin joke :rolleyes::eek::eek:
  • edited November 2011
    My specs:
    2,4 Ghz Intel Quad Core i7
    4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
    Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

My problems: Shadows that are just giant pixels, audio not synchronized, slowdowns and brakes!

My question... Is my Mac good enough to play JP!?
  • edited November 2011
    i have win 7 ultimate service pack 1, intel(r) core i3 cpu 530 @2.93ghz 2.93 ghz
    ram is 4 gigs 64 bit os, XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

... I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY AFTER I FINISHED CHAPTER ONE AND CLICK BEGIN CHAPTER ON CHAPTER 2 IT JUST RESETS

this is driving me damn mad i don't wanna redo the whole game and have it not work
  • edited November 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    As for the graphics quality options fixing up a lot of things-- you should try that-- the graphics quality settings are simple, and basically just disable various effects in a smart order to help extend back compatibility with older cards and DirectX versions.

Thanks Sinaz. I understand your point and it's fair.
    I'm completely satisfied with the graphics (and the game of course), but why have we blocky shadows if everything else is fine? (I don't have lags or anything else)
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    piccobello wrote: »
    Thanks Sinaz. I understand your point and it's fair.
    I'm completely satisfied with the graphics (and the game of course), but why have we blocky shadows if everything else is fine? (I don't have lags or anything else)

You've reached the limit of my knowledge-- the block shadows things sounds like it is happening mostly on Macs.

Also-- we have a support forum, so make sure you are posting your issues there and skimming through threads that may be discussing similar problems.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Good luck!

And just remember-- we WANT for you to be able to enjoy the game! :)
  • edited November 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    It saddens me to hear about your guys' trouble with the game.

Not that I could troubleshoot each and every one of your issues, but simply appending system specs to your posts could help expose troublesome hardware.

None of the versions are ports in the strictest sense-- they are all developed simultaneously with the same data and tools, much like how engines like Unity, Unreal and Torque compile to various platforms from a single project.

The only special treatment that PC got was an entire alternate control scheme for people who want to play on a PC but don't have a controller.

But you gotta think about the fact that there is one basic XBox configuration, one basic PS3 configuration, only 2 iPads... but a nearly uncountable combination of PC configurations.

Good luck! I hope you find a configuration that allows you to play through from start to finish as smoothly as possible.

I hate to be that guy... but i'm gonna be that guy.

Regulars'll know I never really go off on rants about Telltale, but I honestly think standards are slipping, a lot.

Just for the record, I don't own JP, nor did I play BTTF. The franchises didn't appeal to me, and I had a gut feeling that they just weren't gonna be up my alley.

The last game I really enjoyed from Telltale was the Hector series, a game that wasn't developed in-house (it was developed half an hour up the road from me ;)) and even then the port job to PC wasn't great to be totally frank.

I understand PC is a mixed beast, what with jumping through API's and different hardware configurations and all that, there'll always be a few people with issues on launch. But browsing through the review thread there's a crazy amount of bugs that people are reporting. For a studio that made its name on PC I think citing the challenges that come with the platform's a bit of a cop-out to be honest.

I also think few studios work harder than Telltale, with episodic releases and tight schedules and about 8 million franchises in the works the team is no doubt one of the hardest working in the industry.

I just think all this ambition may be biting them in the ass a bit.
  • edited November 2011
    I have no problem with the graphics apart from one and that was the rain effects at the beginning of the game, I mean it almost seems to be raining bright illumination streaks or yellow?!

I also get lag on highest setting but I just switch it down to high, and works fine.

The only major flaw that I found was the end of episode 4 where every 5 or 10 seconds things froze up making QTE impossible.

I'm surprised that there are any issues after the game's 6 month delay. You'd think 6 months would be enough to squash any bugs, makes me shiver to think what kind of game we would have got 6 months ago
  • edited November 2011
    JedExodus wrote: »
    Regulars'll know I never really go off on rants about Telltale, but I honestly think standards are slipping, a lot.

I don't think standards are slipping at all. They just set their standards very high with the Jurassic Park game and pushed the TellTale Tool as far as they could take it. Perhaps Jurassic park is a lot for the Telltale Tool to handle or something? I think they (Universal?) should have gave Jurassic park a longer development time. It would probably be running a lot smoother.

I have the PS3 version and everthing is great with the only problem being the lag and freezing between button prompts. Like someone said early, it really hurts the cinimatic experience.
  • edited November 2011
    k i even went and made sure everything was up to date (also my graphics card is an ati radeon hd 4800 series) and the problem still persists does anyone know if i copy my saves and redownload the game and paste my saves in that maybe it'll work idk

;w; i just wanna play episode 2 dammit
  • edited November 2011
    Haven't started the game up yet (wanna play through with my folks watching), but already the mouse lags behind. At my 1366x768 resolution, I can swipe my finger across my touchpad, and when I lift my finger off is when the cursor starts to move. Wanna say its default resolution wasn't as laggy, but the first thing I did was make the game take up my screen.
  • edited November 2011
    I have the PS3 version and everthing is great with the only problem being the lag and freezing between button prompts. Like someone said early, it really hurts the cinimatic experience.

But is that not the key mechanic of the game? (Correct me if i'm wrong, as I said, I don't own it... yet) Surely it should work smoothly.
  • edited November 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    I could minimize my stuttering and lag-problem by adjusting the graphical settings. Going down from HIGHEST to HIGH deactivates post-processing like DOF (depth of field) but the game now runs much smoother.
    Unfortunately this issue also occurs on high-end pcs.
    yeah that's the thing. I have 4 GB Ram, a radeon HD 5850, and a quad core processor, so there is no reason why it should get some stutterring on the highest settings. The freezing throughout QTE's are annoying and ruins the experience.
  • edited November 2011
    JedExodus wrote: »
    But is that not the key mechanic of the game? (Correct me if i'm wrong, as I said, I don't own it... yet) Surely it should work smoothly.

Your right. It should. If very frustrating that they got everything right and the only thing holding it back is the lag. If the lag was not there this would be an amazing experience. I was able to look past it and just enjoy the story as it unfolded but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it ran smoothly. I'm not sure if TellTale does patches or not but the PSN version is in need of one.
  • edited November 2011
    I think the game would be great if i could just play the rest of the damn thing
  • edited November 2011
    I haven't tried the PC one yet. I'm downloading that one today to see what's up.
  • edited November 2011
    If this helps you guys out I'm running

Windows Professional 64 Bit
    Intel i7 920 @ Stock 2.67GHZ
    Nvidia GTX 295 Single Card
    12 GB DDR3 1333mhz Memory

The only place I have noticed any problems is episode 1 at the start. No problems during the prologue but when you are looking for the Triceritops very slight audio stutter and and when the Dad gets ready to go in the jeep to leave something he says makes it sound like he is a robot. Every time I play it does it in the exact same places. It isn't random. Some of you seem to be having a lot more trouble than I have been. Once past that one seen I haven't seen another glitch or had another problem. Telltale maybe since this setup isn't having as much a problem you can use this as a starting point and see what everyone else is running.
  • edited November 2011
    Having the same problem, managed to bear it, just enough mind you, to finish the game, but a game shouldn't be running like this, especially one that aims to immerse you. Afterwards, I did some tests and I did note the following, if it's relevant at all, or could be just a shot in the dark and it's only me (posted this in support earlier):

Interestingly reducing the Shadow quality on the settings significantly reduces the lag (regardless what the other settings are), as a result reducing audio lag and synch issues. Anything higher than Low and it starts getting choppy. General gameplay is fine with all settings maxed out, yet when it comes to QTE and cutscenes it lags periodically as mentioned by others.

So could it have something to do with the shadows quality? Coincidence? Perhaps.

Specs:
    Windows XP 32-Bit
    Intel 2.66GHz Q8400 Quad Core
    ATI HD5870 1GB GPU
    4GB (3.5GB - XP lol) DDR2 Ram
  • edited November 2011
    Finished Installing the PC version. I had to drop down the settings for it to get to a playable level but that's my computers fault and not the games. There were still moments of lag but over all it's running a lot smoother than the PSN version that I have. I need to keep tweeking with the graphics to see if I can get rid of the lag all together. I also need to keep playing to see if I encounter the problem that some are having with not being able to play past episode one.

So far though, it's running smoother than the PSn version.
  • edited November 2011
    Seriously needs a patch. I have the audio lag, and screen stutters switching to a new scene. The graphics are okay, just has tech issues. I'm guessing they won't fix them though.
  • edited November 2011
    Having the same problem, managed to bear it, just enough mind you, to finish the game, but a game shouldn't be running like this, especially one that aims to immerse you. Afterwards, I did some tests and I did note the following, if it's relevant at all, or could be just a shot in the dark and it's only me (posted this in support earlier):

Interestingly reducing the Shadow quality on the settings significantly reduces the lag (regardless what the other settings are), as a result reducing audio lag and synch issues. Anything higher than Low and it starts getting choppy. General gameplay is fine with all settings maxed out, yet when it comes to QTE and cutscenes it lags periodically as mentioned by others.

So could it have something to do with the shadows quality? Coincidence? Perhaps.

Specs:
    Windows XP 32-Bit
    Intel 2.66GHz Q8400 Quad Core
    ATI HD5870 1GB GPU
    4GB (3.5GB - XP lol) DDR2 Ram
    yes decreased the shadow quality to low and no lagging anymore. I have kept it on the highest graphics settings, as my Rig is more than capable.
    Perhaps it is a problem with the shadows. Can anybody else confirm this?
  • edited November 2011
    confirmed turning down shadows to low fixed it
  • edited November 2011
    I played through Episode 1 earlier and apart from the repeating dialogue sequence at the start I haven't suffered any problems and I am running everything at max at 1920x1080
Sign in to comment in this discussion.