Jurassic Park Graphics Settings

BenBen Former Telltale Staff
edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Please keep all question here related to details of the graphics settings, and how they affect performance. Bug/crashes/etc should be directed to the support forum. Thanks.

Rather than reply to any specific thread, I'll just make a new one.

Graphics Quality - This basically controls lighting detail. On highest, every light is per-pixel, and we use fancy subsurface scattering on character faces. Lower levels gradually reduce this. Quality also directly effects which shader model is used to run the game. Highest uses shader model 3.0. High and Medium use 2.0. Low uses 1.2. Reducing this from Highest to High can have a drastic impact on frame rate. If you have a very old video card, reducing to Low may help as well.

Shadow Quality - Controls the quality of the shadow filtering. Can have a pretty big effect on frame rate. Shadows are only enabled when Graphics Quality is set to Highest.

Aftereffects - This turns on depth of field, motion blur, and glow. Big frame rate hit. Only enabled when Graphics Quality is set to Highest.

Texture Quality - Setting this to low will cause all texture resolution to be cut in half. Generally this won't effect framerate unless you have an old video card. Depending on how much system RAM and video RAM you have, setting this to low may reduce hitching.

Anti-Aliasing - Turning this on will smooth jagged edges. When graphics quality is set to Highest, MLAA anti-aliasing is used. When quality is set to High or Medium, FXAA is used. When graphics quality is set to low, no anti-aliasing is used. This usually doesn't effect frame rate too much in my experience.

Resolution - Reducing resolution can help frame rate quite a bit.

These settings are more or less the same on both PC and Mac. For the curious, both Xbox and PS3 use pretty much highest settings, except for slightly reduced shadows. iPad2 runs more or less with Graphics Quality at Medium.

Feel free to ask for further clarification. I'd also be curious if anyone has any experience with settings -> framerate that differ from what I've said here.

[Edit] - Made sticky. If one of the other regular forums mods feels this would be better merged with the general FAQ, I'm all for that too.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Thanks for this. Knowing things like which shader model is being used in a particular setting and the type of AA will help me configure this on my old laptop.

This game seems to run better on my PC at higher settings than BttF did. I don't know if the engine has been optimized more or what, but that was a welcome surprise.
  • edited November 2011
    The OP is talking about PC graphics settings for the game. But what about us PS3 players? How can we adjust our graphics settings?
  • BenBen Former Telltale Staff
    edited November 2011
    PC/Mac are the only platforms that have multiple graphics settings. The graphics are fixed on all other platforms, as listed at the end of the first post.
  • edited November 2011
    I found that by having all the settings up to the last with the exception of Shadows (which I set to low) that I had a noticeable improvement in framerate
  • edited November 2011
    i went to adjust my graphics settings and all i got was brightness for xbox 360
  • edited November 2011
    Is there any option to run the game on secondary display?
  • edited November 2011
    I have a macbook pro brought it brand new last year.
    Downloaded the game and play if for 15 minutes notice that it keeps freezing and slowing down. Is there any reason why it's doing that.

What do of graphics settings do i need to set in order to make it run smoother
  • edited November 2011
    So I did something stupid, I picked a resolution not supported by my monitor and now I don't get the picture back, isn't it suppose to revert back to the original if it's not supported? Anyways, I tried reinstalling the game but it didn't help. :/

Pressed all the buttons on my monitor too. :(
  • BenBen Former Telltale Staff
    edited November 2011
    i went to adjust my graphics settings and all i got was brightness for xbox 360
    Again, graphics options are only on PC and Mac
    Is there any option to run the game on secondary display?
    No, sorry.
    What do of graphics settings do i need to set in order to make it run smoother
    Try lowering all the settings, and hit the support forums if you are still having trouble.
    I picked a resolution not supported by my monitor and now I don't get the picture back
    Look for C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\Documents\Telltale Games\JurassicPark101\, and delete prefs.prop. May need to adjust the path depending on your OS. If this doesn't work, check the support forums.
  • edited November 2011
    Mine are set to the highest setting and the game runs fine, Except the shadows cast by the characters and dinos get pixelated.
  • edited November 2011
    louiedog wrote: »
    This game seems to run better on my PC at higher settings. I don't know if the engine has been optimized more or what, but that was a welcome surprise.

Funny you mentioned that, because something similar appears to have happened there with me as well. Up until today I've been playing JP with all the settings turned down to their lowest. Just now, though, I've had a quick go with graphics set to medium and textures on high, and the game appeared to run more smoothly than before. I've only tried it for two scenarios in episode 1 so far (Nima vs the Dilos and T-Rex vs Triceratops), but it seems to have made quite a difference - not just with the visuals, but the framerate as well :)
  • edited November 2011
    mannyguy1 wrote: »
    Mine are set to the highest setting and the game runs fine, Except the shadows cast by the characters and dinos get pixelated.

Same here - looks great apart from the pixelated shadows.
  • edited November 2011
    Hi, is that any solution for the frame rate lagging problem on PS3 version?
    Thank you.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.