XBox360 Controller recommended for Windows version?

pgrpgr
edited January 2013 in Jurassic Park
I played the Windows version intro and I wondered if my XBox360 controller is the best option here as the gameplay seems to add lots of quick time events.

Until now Telltale games were always best played with mouse (counts for the whole adventures genre). I am a little bit confused about what to expect here...

Comments

• edited November 2011
    The game is stylized after Heavy Rain, with a lot of QTEs. So it doesn't surprise me that the XBox controller suits it better.
  • edited November 2011
    i only have a wireless xbox controller, which ofc is no good without a pc receiver. Will my ps3 controller work? I've used motionjoy to set it up, but it doesn't work in game. How do I get it working?
  • edited November 2011
    I've played the game with both my 360 controller and a little bit with mouse and keyboard. The controller felt much better.
    Masta23 wrote: »
    i only have a wireless xbox controller, which ofc is no good without a pc receiver. Will my ps3 controller work? I've used motionjoy to set it up, but it doesn't work in game. How do I get it working?

I haven't used the feature because I have both controllers, but I believe there is an option in MotionJoy's settings to emulate a 360 controller. I'd try that.

edit: I would also like to say that it's really weird that the controller does not work in the menus.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    Although both the gamepad control scheme and the Mouse + Keyboard control scheme were given focused design to be equally fun and engaging, the preferred input would be with gamepad.

The keyboard controls are designed to make sure people could play the game using just one hand-- so you get a somewhat richer experience with the gamepad if you consider a sort of ambidextrous range of inputs.
  • edited November 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    The keyboard controls are designed to make sure people could play the game using just one hand

..for the fans who get REALLY excited by Jurassic Park obviously.

and yes, I used the corded 360 controller and it felt much better than the keyboard.
  • edited November 2011
    using xbox 360 gamepad for windows and game dosent respond to buttons pressed on the pad
  • edited November 2011
    I've just installed the game, chose gamepad in options, turn on my XBox pad for Windows and... the pad doesn't work :( Why? What should I do to play in JP with XBox pad? It worked with Back to the Future!
  • edited November 2011
    cez24 same here pressing buttons during qte sections and nothing happening
  • edited November 2011
    louiedog wrote: »
    I've played the game with both my 360 controller and a little bit with mouse and keyboard. The controller felt much better.

I haven't used the feature because I have both controllers, but I believe there is an option in MotionJoy's settings to emulate a 360 controller. I'd try that.

edit: I would also like to say that it's really weird that the controller does not work in the menus.
    yeah emulating the 360 controller works now. It has worked, when I tried to play other PC games with a ps3 controller too. I didn't think it was working, but it is now. I can already tell that this game was clearly designed for a gamepad, and it enhances the experience.
  • pgrpgr
    edited November 2011
    Cez24 wrote: »
    I've just installed the game, chose gamepad in options, turn on my XBox pad for Windows and... the pad doesn't work :( Why? What should I do to play in JP with XBox pad? It worked with Back to the Future!

I am using XBox360 Wireless controller now instead of keyboard/mouse on Windows 7 64 bit. Works without problems. No need for emulation here...
  • edited November 2011
    360 controller is far better, imo. I have used both on this game. It was honestly developed for gamepad as primary focus.. and it feels much more natural. This is just the gamestyle, not a problem with the game itself.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    Johro wrote: »
    ..for the fans who get REALLY excited by Jurassic Park obviously.

:D Dirty dirty mind.
  • edited November 2011
    Ok, so now XBox Controller works. But it works only in the gameplay - in menu I have to use mouse and keyboard :/
  • edited November 2011
    The PC controls are terrible. I think I have never been so frustrated in my entire life.
    Besides that its a great game though. Love the story!
  • edited November 2011
    The pc controls are not terrible, the interface is
    The game plays quite well with pc controls, but unlike the xbox controller keyboard does not get a nice animation of what to do, but only the first key
    And the time needed to react to the new image of 2nd key is (almost always) more then you have
    So i think its a major design flaw in the interface, not the controls
    Could be solved by showing all keys, with pressed ones fading away, and having the other keys be slightly translucent to the right of the one you are to press first

so instead of (v), (^) and (>) flashing why not (v)^)>), (^)>), (>)

Whould make it a lot clearer what you need to do in a row, and thus less anoying

Also at some points in the game the xbox controller bugs, and you just can't finish a repeated button event due to the bar increasing too little with each press (usualy less then a third of what it should/keyboard does)
  • edited January 2013
    I've got a problem with my wireless Xbox controller. It is connected perfectly, but in the game it only seems to recognise the start, Y and A buttons. I can pause and unpause the game with it but that's about it.
  • edited January 2013
    oh yeah, I really recommend playing with the xbox 360 controller since there are alot of rapid button pressing events and sudden button pressing events. Good luck with the game!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.