LucasArts Declares Dedication to Innovation

Ripping pretty much wholesale from the IGN Article of the same name

'LucasArts had seen a lot of success establishing new IPs in the 90s, but as of late the company has sort of "lost it." In particular, he wants his company to be known for more than just Star Wars and Indiana Jones. These are very profitable franchises, though, so moving forward, its priorities will be Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and new IPs.'

Can anyone else say opportunistic business move?

Is is me, or since the release & success of the Will has 'innovative' become to the video game industry the kind of buzzword that 'Green' & 'environmentally friendly' are to, well, pretty much every other consumer facing business at the moment?

:D

Comments

• edited May 2007
    LucasArts is just a bigwig company now. They smell money elsewhere with the success of Season 1 and now realize how stupid they are.
  • edited May 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    LucasArts is just a bigwig company now. They smell money elsewhere with the success of Season 1 and now realize how stupid they are.

I could be sad for the loss of Freelance Police, Full Throttle 2 and possibly further (worthy) Monkey Island sequels, but I think I'm rather sad about the loss of the old LucasArts (LucasFilm?). Probably a victim of their own success. :(
  • edited May 2007
    I dont know how that guy takes him seriously.. when they cancelled freelance police I promised myself never to buy another LucasArts product.. we are so interesting in new IPs we cancel them just before release!
  • edited May 2007
    As much as I love Full Throttle, Hell on Wheels was looking horrible. The trailer was the only good thing to come of it.
  • edited May 2007
    ... And now I'm waiting for the flying pigs.

I know they will come :(
  • edited May 2007
    I hope they remember certain old IPs too. And bribe Ron Gilbert back onto the team.
  • edited May 2007
    I find it ironic that when George was making episode 4 of his SW film, he stated that how he hates bigwig corporation and wants his movies indenpendant from the controls of big companies. Guess he really wanted to be in control of things rather than making indie movies. Hypthocrit
  • edited May 2007
    Isn't 'being in control' what indie movies are about?

--Erwin
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Erwin wrote: »

--Erwin

Yeah, but he pretty became what he was trying to protect himself from: a bottom-line control freak who won't listen to anyone.
  • edited May 2007
    Ah, Lucasarts finally wakes up to the fact that they haven't made anything remotely interesting or high quality in ages and most gamers with functional long-term memory hate them.

I guess it took the end of Star Wars to get to this.
  • edited May 2007
    Shauntron wrote: »
    Yeah, but he pretty became what he was trying to protect himself from: a bottom-line control freak who won't listen to anyone.

So true
  • edited May 2007
    Erwin wrote: »

--Erwin

Yeah, but he believes that the movies should be owned and controlled by the filmmakers rather than the corperate Bigwigs.

To put it simply, he hates bigwig companies and ironically, he became one.

If I recall, I remember an old magazine interview about ep 1 where George Lucas said that he doesn't check the net about fan's reactions to his movies because he has a life and that he talked about star wars as if it was a corperate product than something he personally enjoys making.
  • edited May 2007
    So how many times has LucasArts announced they were returning to innovation now? I think this is at least the fourth.
  • edited May 2007
    Chuck wrote: »
    So how many times has LucasArts announced they were returning to innovation now? I think this is at least the fourth.

Simon Jeffrey was the only one who meant it.. unfortunately his game's wern't successful enough for him to oversee Freelance Police's successful release :(
  • edited May 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    Yeah, but he believes that the movies should be owned and controlled by the filmmakers rather than the corperate Bigwigs.

To put it simply, he hates bigwig companies and ironically, he became one.
    Has LucasFilm ever made a film where Lucas wasn't a very significant if not the most significant filmmaker?

Ultimately due to the success of his films he's become a corporate bigwig, whilst still a filmmaker, the only way to prevent a conflict between his filmmakers/bigwigs control mantra is to just give up (perhaps he should have done so before Phantom Menace and Jar Jar :D).

The Freelance Police/graphic adventure issue is different - ultimately they didn't comprise, but obviously decided that Sam and Max and graphic adventures in general weren't viable. They could have been wrong, but they'd had, and still will have more information than we do. They don't just axe projects late on out of spite.

The only real comitment a large company will make is to money, they'll inovate only if they think it will help this.
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    I think what ultimately led them to chop S&M: FP at that dev stage was that the game would not be 'on-time'. the license for S&M would have expired probably before the game was released and LA was unwilling to continue with Adventure games and thus unwilling to spend money trying to extend the license for S&M from David Purcell.
  • edited May 2007
    I always thought that they gave up on the Adventure game scene was because of the constant amount of delays that Full Throttle and S&M had.
  • edited May 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    I think what ultimately led them to chop S&M: FP at that dev stage was that the game would not be 'on-time'. the license for S&M would have expired probably before the game was released and LA was unwilling to continue with Adventure games and thus unwilling to spend money trying to extend the license for S&M from David Purcell.
    That's still a case of them not thinking it would be viable (in this case with the added cost of extending the licence thrown in).
  • edited May 2007
    Has LucasFilm ever made a film where Lucas wasn't a very significant if not the most significant filmmaker?

Yeah, it is called Howard The Duck :p
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Also: Radioland Murders, Tucker: A Man and His Dream
  • edited May 2007
    I remember playing a game based on Howard the Duck on my old Sony MSX Hit-Bit machine. It was a terribly difficult game, too.

--Erwin
Sign in to comment in this discussion.