your favorite characters poll

edited December 2011 in Jurassic Park
well everyone who was your favorite character???

Comments

• MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited November 2011
    Awesome, I was just about to post the exact same poll!! :)
  • edited November 2011
    Oscar, no contest.:P
  • edited November 2011
    Does Oscar have a full name?
  • edited November 2011
    Does Oscar have a full name?

i'm not sure
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah Oscar.... Im not convinced
    he is dead
    ... If there was an episode 5 it would probably be just him riding the T-Rex like a horse and punching triceratops in the throat.

Also of course he doesn't have a last name like Cher he doesnt need one.. and he could also render a battleship useless by showing up with very little clothing and a bad attitude.... um.... Also like Cher
  • edited November 2011
    I am apparently the only one who voted for Jess. Kudos, again, to the TT team for her creation: if you want me to experience extreme tension, making me personally responsible for the safety of a precocious fourteen-year-old girl is the way to do it.
  • edited November 2011
    I agree that Oscar is a total bad ass but I voted for Billy.
    He was just an awesome villian and I still really like his transformation from likeable guy to villian

he has some great lines too. "We know you have several choices when flying through dinosaur infested airspace and we thank you for choosing Yoder Airlines" LOL! My favorite line in the game.
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    he is dead
    ... If there was an episode 5 it would probably be just him riding the T-Rex like a horse and punching triceratops in the throat.

Also of course he doesn't have a last name like Cher he doesnt need one.. and he could also render a battleship useless by showing up with very little clothing and a bad attitude.... um.... Also like Cher
    Even if the raptors left him bleeding, the Hardings(and Nima if she lives) took the last boat off the island. He'd be caught in the bombing.

I loved the characters, but Oscar took it for me.
  • edited November 2011
    Oscar
    grabbed a tranq needle and his bootlace and sewed himself back up
    . He's THAT badass.
  • edited November 2011
    Oscar.
    Punching a Raptor in the face is still awesome and he had a nicely done, heroic death.

But I think every character had their merits: Gerry provided nice moral grounding, Jess was unpredictable and she was the one to move the story along a few times, Nima was the most complex and I liked that she became the mother tiger in the end, Sorkin's insanity was great and I really liked that Billy
    turned to the dark side
    . And of course Nedry's corpse provided the warmth that the story needed.:p
  • edited November 2011
    MasCot wrote: »
    Oscar.
    Punching a Raptor in the face is still awesome and he had a nicely done, heroic death.

But I think every character had their merits: Gerry provided nice moral grounding, Jess was unpredictable and she was the one to move the story along a few times, Nima was the most complex and I liked that she became the mother tiger in the end, Sorkin's insanity was great and I really liked that Billy
    turned to the dark side
    . And of course Nedry's corpse provided the warmth that the story needed.:p

I agree with you 100% Even though i would have to say Oscar was my favorite, i still loved all the characters. It had a little bit of everything and that really made the game interesting. Not to mention you could connect with the characters.
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    he is dead

The end credits list his name as "Oscar Morales"...
  • edited November 2011
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Awesome, I was just about to post the exact same poll!! :)

who was your favorite character Mark? None of that "I love all my children equally" either...
  • edited November 2011
    robotpo wrote: »
    The end credits list his name as "Oscar Morales"...

Same goes for the ID-card shown on screen when making dialogue choices for him.

Either way, yeah, pretty much Oscar all the way.
  • edited November 2011
    While all of the characters had their distinctive personality traits and brought their own unique contributions to the game, Oscar was my favorite for pretty much all the reasons that are listed above.
  • edited November 2011
    As much as a badass that Oscar is, he would be my second.

Dr. Sorkin is my 1st
    even though she died
    because the way of she is I guess. I always liked the calm and mystic characters. I especially liked how it was mysterious of who she was when you could only see her mouth at first. But yeah. :P

(Btw, there's no icon for Jurassic Park. RAGE!)
  • edited November 2011
    I would've laughed if Miles got the landslide of votes. lol
  • edited November 2011
    This game is full of good characters, and good characterization and story arcs for those characters. I was rather impressed with the writing and how story-driven and character-driven the game is.

I have to say the Hardings are my favorite though. Gerry was a major character in the book, with a bit part in the movie. It was good to see the character finally get some long-ovedue action. The role of Jess was handled well: The Jurassic Park movies always have an element of experiencing the dinosaurs through the eyes of a child or teen, and this game was able to continue that tradition without it feeling forced and without the character being bratty or annoying.
  • edited November 2011
    I can't pick a single one. Everyone was great, because for 99% of the game they were all very human. Unlike the most cardboard cutout characters we get in most games these days, and then we wonder why gaming isn't widely accepted as an art form yet.
  • edited November 2011
    Sesame Street has Oscar the Grouch, Jurassic Park has Oscar the Knife
  • edited November 2011
    My absolute favorite is Billy Yoder. Too bad things didn't work out for him, I was really rooting for that character in the end.
    Surprising that nobody has voted for Nima yet, she is a pretty good character.
  • edited November 2011
    Nima is my third.

Sowwy nimmaa. ^-^
  • edited November 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    My absolute favorite is Billy Yoder. Too bad things didn't work out for him, I was really rooting for that character in the end.
    Surprising that nobody has voted for Nima yet, she is a pretty good character.

I liked Nima too. I just liked Oscar a little bit better. I liked em all really. Gerry was likeable, though at times I wanted to slap him and say, "Parenting! You're doing it wrong!" Jess I liked at first, wanted to slap when she started to get snippy and rebellious, laughed when she threw the cigarettes in the raptors mouth, and nodded in agreement when she stated that if the goal of the trip was to scare her out of shoplifting, then it worked. I felt for Nima the entire time. She made it clear that, even if Hammond wasn't directly responsible, InGen screwed up her life, and her quest to help her daughter was one I was rooting for. Dr. Sorkin may have gone a little nuts at the end, but most of the time, I found myself in agreement with her. I believe that the dinosaurs have the right to exist. Sadly, InGen did not. I wouldn't be surprised if Peter Ludlow was the one who authorized the bombing of the island. And Billy Yoder...likeable at first, felt terrible for him when Oscar was killed, worse when they found D-Caf with Troodon eggs in him(God that was disgusting), and then I wanted to punch him when he decided to drop an incendiary grenade on the Hardings and leave them to die.

Only character I didn't give two ****s about was Miles. He was annoying. Wasn't sad to see him go. Typical paper pusher.
  • edited November 2011
    I liked Nima too. I just liked Oscar a little bit better. I liked em all really. Gerry was likeable, though at times I wanted to slap him and say, "Parenting! You're doing it wrong!" Jess I liked at first, wanted to slap when she started to get snippy and rebellious, laughed when she threw the cigarettes in the raptors mouth, and nodded in agreement when she stated that if the goal of the trip was to scare her out of shoplifting, then it worked. I felt for Nima the entire time. She made it clear that, even if Hammond wasn't directly responsible, InGen screwed up her life, and her quest to help her daughter was one I was rooting for. Dr. Sorkin may have gone a little nuts at the end, but most of the time, I found myself in agreement with her. I believe that the dinosaurs have the right to exist. Sadly, InGen did not. I wouldn't be surprised if Peter Ludlow was the one who authorized the bombing of the island. And Billy Yoder...likeable at first, felt terrible for him when Oscar was killed, worse when they found D-Caf with Troodon eggs in him(God that was disgusting), and then I wanted to punch him when he decided to drop an incendiary grenade on the Hardings and leave them to die.

Only character I didn't give two ****s about was Miles. He was annoying. Wasn't sad to see him go. Typical paper pusher.

^^ All of this.
  • edited November 2011
    After Playing the game a second time through I would have to say my favorite character would be Jess. To me she was the most complex character, and I think she had the best character development out of the bunch. Oscar would be my second anybody who can take down a raptor with just a knife is a win in my book!! All the rest were great characters too but I could kind predict how they would would develop before the game ended. ^^
  • edited November 2011
    So hard to pick just one. They were all such good characters. I would probably pick Oscar by a narrow margin. Anyone who can kill a raptor with a knife is hardcore in my books. And he had such a heroic death. A close second would be Jess. Usually kid characters end up being whiny, annoying and useless. Jess was so much more than that. She was complex and believable, equally craving her fathers approval and chaffing against it. And she wasnt some perfect little saint either. She had a number of flaws, like any normal rebellious teenager.
  • edited November 2011
    I think I liked Billy the best, but Oscar was very close up there. I actually liked all the characters.
  • edited November 2011
    I thought Jess wasn't that annoying. I thought she was kind of humourous.
    Jess: I drank like 4 diet sodas so I have to pee like super bad

And also
    Jess: Landmarks? Uhh, no, just a bunch of jungle crap like trees and stuff.

This is why I kinda liked Jess.

I liked Gerry, but for some reason he just got on my nerves...

Ooh look, a triceratops!

Gerry: Triceratops is a very territorial creature, blah blah blah, her name be margraet, blah, and they weigh this much, oh did you know, and so on.

I guess it's his job to know it though since he IS a Dino-Vet.
  • edited November 2011
    This game is full of good characters, and good characterization and story arcs for those characters. I was rather impressed with the writing and how story-driven and character-driven the game is.

I have to say the Hardings are my favorite though. Gerry was a major character in the book, with a bit part in the movie. It was good to see the character finally get some long-ovedue action. The role of Jess was handled well: The Jurassic Park movies always have an element of experiencing the dinosaurs through the eyes of a child or teen, and this game was able to continue that tradition without it feeling forced and without the character being bratty or annoying.

I agree with you had a hard time voting for characters on this, so i didnt vote, everyone is amazing
  • edited November 2011
    I picked Gerry Harding... I liked him more...

BTW Oscar is badass... and his name for the ones who are asking is Oscar Morales.

:)
  • edited November 2011
    Gerry Harding is my favorite one.
  • edited December 2011
    OSCAR IS THE WINNER!!! He's my favorite character. He killed a Raptor, and Sacrificed himself so the others can escape.
  • edited December 2011
    Oscar's number one, also they updated the fight part to where it plays music, i just played the 360 version, and it has music at that part amazing, also they have music where nima and yoder fight now
  • edited December 2011
    I'd have to say Gerry, he felt the most real and likable. I didn't like Nima, she felt like a stereotypical "I'm tough on the outside, but i'm really nice because i have a daughter" i don't know, she was too predictable IMO. (I think thats the reason i liked the ending where she chooses the can, because then it gave her more depth, she needed the money for her daughter and she would get it at all costs, that made me like her more.) Billy was an interesting character, sure he was another typical loud mouth merc, but his turn on everybody was something i didn't expect, which was good (wasn't expecting him to turn into a villain haha). Sadly, I also didn't like Oscar that much, maybe it was because the graphics weren't focusing on realism and had cartoony qualities, i just didn't believe he was a bad ass. i don't know, i'm just picky with characters hahahaha XD
  • edited December 2011
    I can't pick a single one. Everyone was great, because for 99% of the game they were all very human. Unlike the most cardboard cutout characters we get in most games these days, and then we wonder why gaming isn't widely accepted as an art form yet.

i think thats an unfair assessment of video games now-a-days. there are tons of great characters in different genres:

Alan Wake
    John Marston
    Auron (FFX)
    Chuck Greene
    John Price
    Desmond Miles

just to name a few. people argue that some of these characters could be cookie cutter characters, but the same could be said for some the Characters in JPtG. saying most games have cutout characters is a bit unfair to modern games, because there are plenty of great amazing characters being created out there.
  • edited December 2011
    Gerry - I didn't care for him all that much. He isn't a "flat" character, but he isn't very multi-dimensional either. He's sort of a typical everyman hero who is trying to reconnect with his daughter along the way. If he had doubted himself more or been more hesitant throughout the game, I think he would have been more believeable. Not that he was a bad character. I loved how protective he was of Jess.
    Jess - I find her a very real and interesting character. Sure, she's the stereotypical teenager, rebellious and dabbling in different things she shouldn't be, but she learns, changes, and her dialogue is very believable. A part that stuck out to me is during a conversation she had with Dr. Sorkin. "You went to jail?" she asks. Something about that line, about how she couldn't believe Sorkin had gone to jail and is now a scientist, makes her really feel her age.
    Nima - I voted for Nima. Yeah, I guess her plot was sort of predictable, but I truly felt for her. I wanted her to be able to give her daughter a better life, and watching as she began to see Jess as a daughter figure rather than a hostage was very emotional. I love that the player gets the choice at the end as to her ultimate fate. The choice is very natural; even though she has connected with Jess, her daughter is still important to her.
    Oscar - A great hero, very chill, and has some good lines. Although his sacrifice is the best scene in the game, I don't think it makes him the best character. Sure, maybe the "most heroic" or "best person" of the bunch, but I don't think he has the depth necessary for best character.
    Billy - Goes from truly funny to truly messed up all in a few hours. I really enjoyed watching his character arch. He's a great character and I actually cringed from the emotional turmoil he was experiencing.
    Sorkin - Not that great of a character, but I love her dialogue. She raises some great points and made me question Gerry's beliefs and my own. The scenes she was in were some of the most well-written and interesting, I think. I also found her freak out very awesome.
    Miles - lol
  • edited December 2011
    Hard choice, but I think Billy Yoder just clinches it.
    He proves quite an interesting parallel to that of Dennis Nedry, in that, they both worked for InGen, yet somewhere along the line their greed got the better of them, causing them to turn on the company they once worked for and were prepared to do whatever it took for them to get rich. Yoder also knew that the company would give jackanory for his colleagues who had met there end, on top of the deception of Sorkin, you could see why he'd turn against InGen, and by extension, those under their employ.

I enjoyed seeing Billy's transformation from cocky hero to sly villain. Plus he's got some great lines.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah,I am surprised that Oscar is actually so popular, he has got just the most epic character in a TTG game
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, everyone on here has really good points about ALL the characters. However, I voted based on my initial reactions upon playing the game.

Gerry - My 4th choice. The serious, grounded character. The one who really has no time for jokes and just needs to protect his daughter. I felt he was probably the most vulnerable of them all since he had to take care of Jess. I liked him a lot. I don't know, but I really like the serious, no nonsense characters.
    Jess - A bit annoying at times, but ultimately provided a youthfulness to the story. Excitement and possibly naivete. I liked her okay, but only kinda since I wasn't really into the teen struggles and stuff.
    Nima - My 1st choice. I felt her background story and character arc were the most ironed-out. I understood her plight, understood her decisions, her character was slowly revealed, and I liked how
    she changed for the better
    (which is the true ending in my opinion).
    Billy - Along with Oscar I really liked their jokes here and there, laughing in the face of danger. But at the point when
    Oscar and D-Caf die he just turned into too much a jerk too suddenly.
    I was not expecting him
    to become a villain and I much preferred liking him than disliking him
    Oscar - My 3rd choice. The
    knife fight
    was pretty cool. And I liked that he wore tattoos for all his sins. Also
    his death from a raptor had a very poetic feel to it which I liked
    Laura - I liked A LOT of what she said. She definitely had the most philosophical depth. However, I felt that she was painted a bit too crazy, making me never really like her.
    Miles - My 2nd choice. Many will disagree with me on this, but I LOVED this guy. He made me laugh so much. I know he was a jerk, but he was the kind of character that I loved to hate. He was honestly almost my first choice.
  • edited December 2011
    Oscar rocks!!! he needs that velociraptor tatoo.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.