IGN's Review

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
First Let Me say Telltale, You are Awesome, Being a huge Jurassic Park Fan You guys Really took me back into the Movies and I really am enjoying it so far. (almost done with Ep.2, no issues so far ether) I tell what I really think of it once I find time to finish.:)

IGN on The other hand...Not so much apparently

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212843p1.html

P.S. It does seem like looking back at the previews that Greg(whom I normally like and agree with) Didn't like the game's direction to begin with which is a shame. Anyway Hat's off to Telltale you did a Good Job.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    im sorry for saying this. actually no im not! IGN can blow it out there Assholes
  • edited November 2011
    9.0 out of ten and "the best" CoD yet, even though most people played the same game back in 2007. Yet they insult something like Heavy Rain which they give a good review to. My favorite moment was when a Croteam dev, the guys who make Serious Sam, basically spat in their faces and laughed at them for being casual wimps.
  • edited November 2011
    I knew IGN would do this - they only give good reviews to the hyped-up games. CoD MW3 got like a 9 or something, but yet (as EvilDeadFan said) it's the same as the other CoDs. And finally we get a game (Jurassic Park) that isn't about running around with a gun and tapping shoot, meleeing, shooting again, winning a two minute match with no strategy and doing it again, and they give a crap review. Figures.

I posted a review under the review thread - here's what someone who can get over a few bad graphics and excessively major hype thinks.
  • edited November 2011
    I've been trying to get my review on ign but it won't even let me get to the user review page. I'm giving this thing an 8.5 myself. Maybe ign doesn't want anyone giving it a score over 5? lol
  • edited November 2011
    I don't agree with what IGN says about gameplay, though I can agree with their view on graphics and animations being clunky.
    The gameplay I actually like, point and click with a single-icon pointer and 2-3 possible things to click on isn't much better.
  • edited November 2011
    Right, and like I said on my review, the graphics are the one weakpoint. But in my opinion, the graphics aren't what make the game. Anyone played Morrowind? The graphics were outdated but it got Game of the Year.
  • edited November 2011
    Lol at you all.

If they had given the game a good review, you'd be singing IGN's praises, and you know it.

Also they gave the BTTF episodes good reviews, so they aren't biased against Telltale.

The fact is, everyone REALLY wanted a free-roaming sandbox type of Jurassic Park game where you actually get to roam wherever you wanted in the park. That's my dream Jurassic Park game.

Now this game isn't bad, but it's more of an interactive movie than a real game.
  • edited November 2011
    Lol at you all.

If they had given the game a good review, you'd be singing IGN's praises, and you know it.

Also they gave the BTTF episodes good reviews, so they aren't biased against Telltale.

No, I'm always against IGN. They are always the opposite of how I feel towards a game. And I don't think they are biased toward game companies, I feel it's toward genra (did I spell that right?) of game.
  • edited November 2011
    No, I'm always against IGN. They are always the opposite of how I feel towards a game. And I don't think they are biased toward game companies, I feel it's toward genra (did I spell that right?) of game.

So why did they give the BTTF episodes good reviews then?
  • edited November 2011

No, I just would have agreed with them. But I won't praise them because they like something that I do. They can review it anyway they want. It's just that Jurassic Park is not a 5.5. It's an 8. lol
  • edited November 2011
    I am personally not surprised Jurassic Park the game is definitively a niche game.. sort of like Heavy Rain was... People that love JP will love it... people who love a game with a great story will love it... people who like "adventure games" will love it... the average gamer might dig it but.. I think its sort of one of those games that was made for a specific target..

But that is just my opinion.
  • edited November 2011
    Lol at you all.

They seem to give JP a bad review just because it doesn't follow the earlier games' formula for gameplay, and the reviewer is seemingly taking no notice of story or atmosphere.

And the fact that they gave BTTF a good review just goes to show that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
  • edited November 2011
    Touche!
    I guess it's just me. I love the Jurassic Park series, and never played BTTF. So yeah, it's only an opinion. Some people like it, some don't.
    Although I'll always disagree with IGN. Always...
    Except maybe with Back to the Future. I'd probably like that.
  • edited November 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    They seem to give JP a bad review just because it doesn't follow the earlier games' formula for gameplay, and the reviewer is seemingly taking no notice of story or atmosphere.

And the fact that they gave BTTF a good review just goes to show that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Nah, I think it shows that BTTF actually deserved the good scores that it got. Jurassic Park is basically Dragon's Lair if you wanna get right down to it. It's fun to look at but there's no real control. I would've given the game a 6.5 myself.
  • edited November 2011
    IGN= Ignorami, Gamers, and Nitwits

To put it bluntly, these guys have no idea when they're looking at a good game. I thought the first episode was excellent. Granted, it was a little disheartening to see myself fail so miserably at quick-time events,but I enjoyed the cinematic visuals and the story behind the game.
  • edited November 2011
    The fact is, everyone REALLY wanted a free-roaming sandbox type of Jurassic Park game where you actually get to roam wherever you wanted in the park

Uh, no, not everyone. Some of us actually like that it's a structured story instead of a free-roaming, meandering mess. Free roaming is not the be-all-end-all of gaming. It works great for some things, but if you want a story that actually has tension and a little thing called pacing, free-roaming is not the way to go.

I do agree with IGN about the graphics, but Telltale has never been about cutting edge graphics and really...who cares? I DISAGREE with them about the story and characters. Maybe that reviewer never bothered to make the characters talk to each other or something, because I thought they were the most realistic and well-rounded characters that TT's ever done.
  • edited November 2011
    Uh, no, not everyone. Some of us actually like that it's a structured story instead of a free-roaming, meandering mess. Free roaming is not the be-all-end-all of gaming. It works great for some things, but if you want a story that actually has tension and a little thing called pacing, free-roaming is not the way to go.

I do agree with IGN about the graphics, but Telltale has never been about cutting edge graphics and really...who cares? I DISAGREE with them about the story and characters. Maybe that reviewer never bothered to make the characters talk to each other or something, because I thought they were the most realistic and well-rounded characters that TT's ever done.

Are you telling me you wouldn't want a free-roaming Jurassic Park game where you could go to any part of the park you wanted? You're crazy.

And imagine a bonus mode where you could take the normal tour as if you were a tourist! And each tour you took would be different because you'd never know whether the dinosaurs would actually show up for each section, just like in the movie. That would be GREAT!
  • edited November 2011
    Are you telling me you wouldn't want a free-roaming Jurassic Park game where you could go to any part of the park you wanted? You're crazy.

I for one would enjoy that. But I agree - there isn't ever much story behind a free-roaming game (other than The Elder Scrolls games) because there is so much to do and you get lost in all the side quests. I would like to finally see all of Jurassic Park, but maybe as a mod for a bigger game, not as its own game. I think TellTale did the right thing.

(I see you edited, sockableclaw) Yeah, that would be cool, but again, as a mod, not a complete game. Actually, now that you think of it, why hasn't someone done a Fallout / Oblivion / any other free-roam game mod about Jurassic Park?
  • edited November 2011

And imagine a bonus mode where you could take the normal tour as if you were a tourist! And each tour you took would be different because you'd never know whether the dinosaurs would actually show up for each section, just like in the movie. That would be GREAT!

That's a terrible idea. This game was never meant to be a GTA: Isla Nublar
  • edited November 2011
    I for one would enjoy that. But I agree - there isn't ever much story behind a free-roaming game (other than The Elder Scrolls games) because there is so much to do and you get lost in all the side quests. I would like to finally see all of Jurassic Park, but maybe as a mod for a bigger game, not as its own game. I think TellTale did the right thing.

GTA IV had a great story. :)
  • edited November 2011
    GTA IV had a great story. :)

I actually thought that one was boring. There really wasn't much too it and it dragged on way to long. But GTA4 really isn't my favorite. I actually thought it was a bit of a step backwards to be honest.
  • edited November 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    That's a terrible idea. This game was never meant to be a GTA: Isla Nublar

That's what I'm saying. This game was a very good choice of genra, and it was well executed. But a free roam game with nothing to do to this game (TT's JP, that is) would be kind of cool, I think. Like the original concept for Trespasser - it was to be free roam.
    Well, I'm done debating for tonight. Jurassic Park: The Game is awesome, no matter how you slice it. I'll be replaying over the weekend.
    Oh, and I've never played GTA, so I don't know anything about it.
  • edited November 2011
    I find it a bit unfair to review a game because that game is not the genre you would have preferred it to be, it should be based on the game as it is. It would be like saying "i didnt like call of duty because its not an adventure game" or "i didnt like world of warcraft because its not a first person shooter".

If you didnt like it because it wasnt the type of game you wanted to be thats one thing, but it doesnt necessarily mean the game sucks.
  • edited November 2011
    I find it a bit unfair to review a game because that game is not the genre you would have preferred it to be, it should be based on the game as it is. It would be like saying "i didnt like call of duty because its not an adventure game" or "i didnt like world of warcraft because its not a first person shooter".

If you didnt like it because it wasnt the type of game you wanted to be thats one thing, but it doesnt necessarily mean the game sucks.

You have a point, but even as it is, it's really not all that great. It's decent, but it's not even good (imho).
  • edited November 2011

If the story is the focus of the game, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Sand-box games ruin the pacing of a story.

Look at Rockstar's games. They usually have fantastic stories, but the style of gameplay kills it. Nothing ruins John Marston's desperate quest to complete his mission and get back to his family like spending four hours picking herbs and going on fetch quests for tangential characters. Quick, you're a cop in 1940's L.A. and you've just found out that a woman was murdered by her husband and you need to arrest him before he skips town! What a tense moment! ...except it takes you ten real-world minutes to drive across town to the guy's house and that's even if you don't stop to answer those three unrelated police calls that you get on the way.

This Jurassic Park game was all about telling a nice, tight, Jurassic Park story. A sand-box game would have ruined that.
  • edited November 2011
    If the story is the focus of the game, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Sand-box games ruin the pacing of a story.

Look at Rockstar's games. They usually have fantastic stories, but the style of gameplay kills it. Nothing ruins John Marston's desperate quest to complete his mission and get back to his family like spending four hours picking herbs and going on fetch quests for tangential characters. Quick, you're a cop in 1940's L.A. and you've just found out that a woman was murdered by her husband and you need to arrest him before he skips town! What a tense moment! ...except it takes you ten real-world minutes to drive across town to the guy's house and that's even if you don't stop to answer those three unrelated police calls that you get on the way.

This Jurassic Park game was all about telling a nice, tight, Jurassic Park story. A sand-box game would have ruined that.

See though, when playing a Jurassic Park game, does anyone really care all that much about story? Nope. Pretty much only about the dinosaurs, and trying to survive them. :)
  • edited November 2011
    See though, when playing a Jurassic Park game, does anyone really care all that much about story? Nope. Pretty much only about the dinosaurs, and trying to survive them. :)

I think quite a few people would argue that they're missing the point, then.....
  • edited November 2011

Gasp! You wound me, sir!
  • edited November 2011

Why do you think The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 3 got worse reviews then the original? THe answer is story. The story is very important when it comes to Jurassic Park. The dinosaurs are important too, but how they fit into the story is what makes them worth watching.
  • edited November 2011

Uh.... that is totally not all that I walked away with from reading the books and watching the movies.... there are some pretty deep story elements and character journeys in each version.. I would not want any less in the game if done right... There have been other fun JP games.. but NONE of them even seemed to try to carry the torch handed to them by Crichton or Spielberg.. this feels like it could fit within the world those men created... not some cash grab game... It feels like TTG wanted to make something the fans of the books and games would like... not some game with things forced in just because that is what NON-Fans want.
  • edited November 2011
    Why do you think The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 3 got worse reviews then the original? THe answer is story. The story is very important when it comes to Jurassic Park. The dinosaurs are important too, but how they fit into the story is what makes them worth watching.

The original movie, as great as it is, has always been knocked for its weak plot.
  • edited November 2011
    The original movie, as great as it is, has always been knocked for its weak plot.

not really no.... I have never heard anyone knock the plot of the first movie...
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    not really no.... I have never heard anyone knock the plot of the first movie...

Legitimate bond.
  • edited November 2011

Don't confuse plot with story. Plot is what happens. Story is how it happens. The plot of the original film was "Dinosaurs are loose on an island, humans have to survive it." You're right, that's a pretty weak plot. But the story is where the film (and book) excelled.
  • edited November 2011
    Don't confuse plot with story. Plot is what happens. Story is how it happens. The plot of the original film was "Dinosaurs are loose on an island, humans have to survive it." You're right, that's a pretty weak plot. But the story is where the film excelled.

Again, legitimate bond.
  • edited November 2011
    Again, legitimate bond.

Oh, you mean...

bond-article-e28094-sean-connery.jpg

Well at least we can all agree on that. ;)
  • edited November 2011
    Oh, you mean...

bond-article-e28094-sean-connery.jpg

Well at least we can all agree on that. ;)

Hell yes. He was the best Bond!
  • edited November 2011
    One thing guys. A lot of you are bashing IGN as a whole for this review. Remember, that score is based on ONE PERSON'S experience with the game.
  • edited November 2011
    Did any of you guys actually READ the review? This reviewer points out some very real and valid problems with the game, both from a fundamental design standpoint, and a storytelling standpoint. Take off the rose-colored glasses, please.
  • edited November 2011
    "Besides the times when I didn't notice I had switched perspectives and was now controlling someone else in the room, I didn't like not knowing these characters on a deeper level. Telltale games -- and adventure games in general -- are about getting wrapped up in a story and making choices as that person. Jumping between characters means motivations get cloudy and no one is fleshed out beyond a standard stereotype. There's a bad girl, a badass mercenary, a wise-cracking soldier and so on. In the end, I didn't care who I was in control of because it didn't matter. The plot was going to move in the same direction regardless of who uttered what. "
    I don't understand this criticism, most of the people who played this game enjoyed the story, you DID get to know more about the characters through those interactions, and what may have started as stereotype characters from the start quickly moved to something outside of the form and not a straight copy of some archetype.

Although I would have wished that the dialogue was more interactive in that it could minutely change the story based on your actions, it was a good first attempt. Telltale should look towards the criticism and move forward in that regard.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.