Sorkin vs. Harding - Extinction or Survival?

edited December 2011 in Jurassic Park
Just thought I'd pose the question - would you rather allow the dinosaurs to survive on the island, free of the lysine-dependency but with the small chance of something getting off the island, or destory the island and kill all the dinosaurs, thus halting the evolution of a species wiped from the planet long ago but sending species extinct forever. Or would you take the dinosaurs off the island and onto the mainland?

It's your choice, but I have to say destroy the dinosaurs. They aren't on the planet anymore, and they aren't ready for our world. They are a different species, a whole new class of animals. How could we, seperated by them by millions of years of evolution, possibly know what to expect? One of many possiblities is that they could bring a new disease and change the planet. Or they could spread far more rapidly than even turtles. Not a clutch of 200 eggs - a clutch of, say, 1000. And those 1000 would lay 1000 more. 1000000 that fast. It just goes on...(sorry if I sound a bit paranoid, I'm very opinionated). The theroy is dinosaurs are like birds. But that's just a theroy. And anyway, I don't believe in most theroys - after all, they are just a guess. And who's to say the dinosaurs are what we guess them to be? (Naturally, I won't end up working as a scientist).

To sum it up, in the words of Jack Forman from Micheal Crichton's book Prey, "They didn't understand what they were doing.
I'm afraid that will be on the tombstone of the human race.
I hope it's not.
We might get lucky."

So what are your thoughs? Save or destroy?

Oh, and please don't start a really heated debate. This is just for fun. (Although I guess that I did make it seem really serious)

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Keeping it fun -- not serious...

What exactly is a theroy? :)

sp*
  • edited November 2011
    Considering that it's not conceivable for an animal to swim that far to shore and the fact that the pteranodons would be lysine dependent, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to eliminate the entire island population.
  • edited November 2011
    I think the dinosaurs are too much of a threat. Even if they can't swim to shore, some greedy corporation would bring them to the mainland (like InGen tried in JP2 and look how that ended).
  • edited November 2011
    I'm not sure it could be considered cruel to keep them alive, while on the other hand IN-Gen created them, they have a responsibly now to keep them alive. Then again of the public don't know about dinosaur's existing on a remote island IN-Gen can do what they want with their own product. It's tough.

I'd have to say carpet bombing is a little excessive. I'd use toxic gas.

Then attempt to re-build and re-stock the island with new security, all the fences would be separate from the security grid. In fact it would be a manual process. I think being that's what I'd do if I were Peter Ludlow.

The mainland idea is a terrible, terrible idea....Whoever decided "let's make Jurassic Park on the mainland in a populated area, in a small amphitheatre"

It's THE worst design EVER. Plus the mainland didn't have the right temperature or plant/animal life.
  • edited November 2011
    What do you use IN-Gen. Have you ever seen the films? It's InGEN.
  • edited November 2011
    Just banish InGen from the island. So what, they made it? Give the island it's OWN rights. No one should own it, but the animals who live there themselves.

Escape is not likely. A Mosasaur? It would be spotted very quickly. Many animals may die, but let's just completely eliminate that option of even breeding one. Ptereanadons I doubt would migrate anywhere. They live close enough to the equator. Do you expect a velociraptor to swim 120 miles? I doubt it.

I saw keep the island alive, or don't bring it back at all. What's the point of raising something you've worked so hard on, you decided this to be your life, then within 2 months, it's gone.

I believe Dr. Sorkin would back me up on this. ^-^
    Too bad she got eaten.
  • edited November 2011
    AndrewF wrote: »
    Just banish InGen from the island. So what, they made it? Give the island it's OWN rights. No one should own it, but the animals who live there themselves.

Escape is not likely. A Mosasaur? It would be spotted very quickly. Many animals may die, but let's just completely eliminate that option of even breeding one. Ptereanadons I doubt would migrate anywhere. They live close enough to the equator. Do you expect a velociraptor to swim 120 miles? I doubt it.

I saw keep the island alive, or don't bring it back at all. What's the point of raising something you've worked so hard on, you decided this to be your life, then within 2 months, it's gone.

I believe Dr. Sorkin would back me up on this. ^-^
    Too bad she got eaten.

well in Jp2 and i assume 3 InGen owns both isla sorna and isla nublar even though both facilities are destroyed. and hammond monitored sorna regularly after hurricane clarissa, i think nublar would have done fine untouched but i wouldnt mind seeing a film about the park succeding....they just need to use common sense...a petting zoo full of protoceratops would be fine by me....
  • edited November 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »
    well in Jp2 and i assume 3 InGen owns both isla sorna and isla nublar even though both facilities are destroyed. and hammond monitored sorna regularly after hurricane clarissa, i think nublar would have done fine untouched but i wouldnt mind seeing a film about the park succeding....they just need to use common sense...a petting zoo full of protoceratops would be fine by me....

Common sense like not hiring a computer programmer with a financial grudge against you, fully automating most essential park systems, or having a hippy environmentalist on your staff?
  • edited November 2011
    dont blame it on any of that, the person you have too blame for is dennis nedry, he is the one who shut off everything, even though he could of just shut off the security cameras, he wasnt relizing that while he was out he could of got eaten, its not exactly ingens fault for this, it is in one way though, but that is the only person capable with the security, and things like that, so i blame it all on dennis nedry for shuttuing down the power, what an idiot ehh
  • edited November 2011
    Nedry may be at fault for shutting down the power, but if Jurassic Park hadn't been designed to run with minimal staff, then there might not have been any problems. Not only that, but with Sorkin's tendencies to want to protect the animals, the Troodons were alive and on the loose. She even suspected they'd gotten out before the fences went down.
  • edited November 2011
    Nedry may be at fault for shutting down the power, but if Jurassic Park hadn't been designed to run with minimal staff, then there might not have been any problems. Not only that, but with Sorkin's tendencies to want to protect the animals, the Troodons were alive and on the loose. She even suspected they'd gotten out before the fences went down.

why would you create something that dangerous, if they were smarter than the velociraptors, and she would have known they would of gotten out, why not of exterminated them before they had a chance of breaking out of the fences in the first place, a lttle bit more research before they cloned them would have been a good idea
  • edited November 2011
    why would you create something that dangerous, if they were smarter than the velociraptors, and she would have known they would of gotten out, why not of exterminated them before they had a chance of breaking out of the fences in the first place, a lttle bit more research before they cloned them would have been a good idea

Research on animals that haven't existed before? Also, the Troodons were supposed to be euthanized. Sorkin didn't want to do that so she hid them.
  • edited November 2011
    Research on animals that haven't existed before? Also, the Troodons were supposed to be euthanized. Sorkin didn't want to do that so she hid them.

well dr. sorkin is really stupid for doing that, and risked a lot of lives
  • edited November 2011
    by the way i choose extinction, but their not fully extinct, because of the dealings with isla sorna and rumors on the fourth movie that they're possibly on the mainland somewhere, so their not extinct if you blow up just this island
  • edited November 2011
    I would like to see a dinosaur preserve, much like dr. Sorkin intended. The island should be isolated and monitored, but there's no point in killing off the animals.
  • edited November 2011
    would you rather allow the dinosaurs to survive on the island, free of the lysine-dependency

You might not believe but WE and MOST VERTEBRATES are Lysine-dependent!! We eat plants and flesh to get Lysine. Crichton clearly didn't perform enough research on that part. In Operation Genesis they replaced the lysine-dependency with a Lethal-gene. I wish they also used that in Jurassic Park: The Game. The whole scene about putting Lysine in the water etc. looks all so stupid to me.
  • edited November 2011
    would I create dinosaurs and let them live? The same goes for Dodo's and Mammoths.

Why not?

Many times when I tell people that scientists are trying to recreate mammoths, dinosaurs dodo's etc they ask "what is the purpose of recreating them?" Then I have a surprise: there has never existed anything that has a purpose. We say that something has purpose when there are enough fools that care for it.

Look at extinction. In not a single mythology a species comes extinct. When extinction was discovered in the 19th century most people didn't liked and opposed the idea of extinction. Why? Many think because most people then where christian and the bible never mentioned extinction. I think it is deeper: extinction is ugly. People first didn't believed in extinction and later didn't liked it because it isn't nice to live in a Universe where a magnificent group of animals can be put into oblivion like it never existed.

As soon as science emerged people started to change things in their surroundings. Stories like Jurassic Park, Frankenstein and the Island of Dr. Moreau wanted to show that it isn't good to interfere with nature. In the stories the main characters DO interfere and disaster follows. But it ALL stories the disasters are the results of the stupidity of the scientists themselves, not their creations.

So, interference with nature itself won't cause more disasters than other actions. Should we just accept nature as it is, and treat it like some kind of 'godess'. Must we leave the dinosaurs dead because Mother Nature wanted it like that?

If a new meteorite is coming to earth, ready to destroy 90% of all species, should mankind just sit there and let it happen? I think we would all do anything to blow the stone back into space. Then why should we just accept that it did destroy dinosaurs in the past?

But will dinosaurs destroy mankind? Is a park full of dinosaurs gonna be sustainable? As I said the fall of Jurassic Park is the fault of Nedry and the extremely bad emergency response team of the park. Thousands of dangerous animals live in zoos of the western world, species that were separeted by millions of years of evolution. And did they broke out and destroyed mankind???
    Or they could spread far more rapidly than even turtles. Not a clutch of 200 eggs - a clutch of, say, 1000. And those 1000 would lay 1000 more. 1000000 that fast. It just goes on...

Dinosaurs did not reproduce that fast. They were not insects. Theories are no guesses, paranoid. And we could design them to reproduce slower.
    One of many possiblities is that they could bring a new disease and change the planet.

Contagious diseases are caused by germs. we recreate dinosaurs, not their germs. And even when we accidentely do, microbes or virusses are species-specific. You can't get a cold from your dog. So, we can be pretty sure we can't be sick by dinosaur virusses.
  • edited November 2011
    I would like to recreate ANYtHING that has ever lived on this planet, from Anomalocaris to Australophithicus. But it costs a hell lot of money. I would first make a sarari park of the creatures. With the money earned from the Park, a real-life preserve could be created. I wouldn't put a dinosaur-preserve on small islands, they could never sustain those large animals.

But on the mainland they are treat to the existing ecosystems right?

Well, take the book that inspired Jurassic Park: The Lost World by Conan Doyle. His dinosaurs also live in isolation from the rest of the world, but not on an island, on a plateau. High cliffs isolate the creatures, IF one create jumps from it, it is dead.
  • edited November 2011
    well recreating jurassic park with today's technology shouldnt be a matter, also if the military joined in as well! if that was possible, our security measures today would be like making the dinosaurs as slaves, but instead of slaves more of entertainment, so i dont know if i made the right answer as before in this thread, even though with military joining in you have too pay for their standards too instead of doing it free, but it would be better with military support for the island, so preserving the island, the military could check the perimeter for trespassers, any trespassers would get shot or put in prison for 20 years
  • edited November 2011
    I think if my true villianous nature came to be i know exactly what i would do,i would send in a special containment team to smuggle those troodons and raptors off the island for use as a next-generation of bio-weapons,

Especially in jungle warfare where its all nice and dark good for the troodons never to get spotted and make short work of any enemy soldier,oh yes it could be quite a profitable business,perhaps replacing the need of soldiers.

Its also nice they dispose of the enemy bodies and use them as nests for their young,quite a cost effective and productive method.

The raptors on the other hand is a matter of how much they can learn and progress and evolve..both dinosaurs have their special perks.
  • edited December 2011
    I would save the Dinosaurs. I would cure them of the lysine contingency and make another version that would cure the Pteranodons and the Mosasaur, turn Isla Nublar into a nature preserve, keep the Island safe from human interferance, and let nature take it's course. Because these creatures require our absence to survive. Not our Help.
  • edited December 2011
    JPTGfan wrote: »
    I would save the Dinosaurs. I would cure them of the lysine contingency and make another version that would cure the Pteranodons and the Mosasaur, turn Isla Nublar into a nature preserve, keep the Island safe from human interferance, and let nature take it's course. Because these creature require our absence to survive. Not our Help.

i agree too.
  • edited December 2011
    i agree too.

Dr. Sorkin would be proud of us.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.