Continuity: Clothes and Divesuits SPOILERS

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
During the swimming bit how the hell did they hide their clothes and when they resurfaced all their clothes had magicly returned.

Wouldnt them still being in the divingsuits after surfacing make more sense ??
Not to mention the shaving cream can and Nimas backpack, there is suspension of disbelief that then there is lazy story writing.

Come on telltale what the hell you were the saviours of classic adventure gaming

Comments

• edited November 2011
    It is USA thing. You can show Zombies and everything what is inside of them but don't you dare to show boobs or the rating board goes crazy. So they got this "let's switch clothes" thing to make the next scene to work better.
  • edited November 2011
    What I just thought was that they put the swimsuit/scuba outifts over their regular clothes, and once they got out, they just simply took it off, with their original clothes still on.
  • edited November 2011
    Clord wrote: »
    It is USA thing. You can show Zombies and everything what is inside of them but don't you dare to show boobs or the rating board goes crazy. So they got this "let's switch clothes" thing to make the next scene to work better.

Yeah I know watching Die Hard 4 pg-13 version John McClane not say the F word was a bummer. And the unrated version he was swearing like a sailor again that is considered unrated in the US ??

So let me get this straight shooting people ok swearing and tits NO GOOD
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    I dont think the costume continuity has anything with swearing, boobs, or America. That's a wide leap to cross to so quickly.
  • edited November 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    I dont think the costume continuity has anything with swearing, boobs, or America. That's a wide leap to cross to so quickly.

Yeah in this case it is, but for someone like me who is not a US citizen I find the whole rating system both for games and movies in the US strange.

I laugh everytime I hear some conservative politician in the US complaining about something bad in a violent movie, it´s always related to nudity or swearing.
  • edited November 2011
    AndrewF wrote: »
    What I just thought was that they put the swimsuit/scuba outifts over their regular clothes, and once they got out, they just simply took it off, with their original clothes still on.

Mythbusters did this, by the way. And if you take off your dive suit that was worn over normal clothes, it will actually look as though you never went in the water!
  • edited November 2011
    I personally believe Guybrush can fit a giant Q-tip in his pants... I guess its sort of a suspension of belief but so is cloning dinosaurs from mosquito lunch... Its sort of the kind of thing movies, TV, cartoons and games have gotten away with for years...
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    We discussed the wetsuit to dry clothes thing in house-- and it's one of those things that we know is a bit continuity breaking, but we just gotta ask, "is it worth the time and money to make a waterproof duffel and figure out how to rig it to the actors, or build in a new character model of wet clothes?"

Ultimately, these things don't have anything to do with the story. It's just a continuity thing that we have to say 'leave well enough alone' to. We found even the process of showing one of the characters transitioning into a state of undress after their swim did nothing for the pacing of scene-- it only served to drag the energy down as we transitioned into the finale. When dealing with cinematic pacing, it's important to understand when to edit a scene and truncate the passage of time.

The general consensus is that they had their clothes on underneath-- I know it's weird and awkward, but it also doesn't contribute or detract from the story.

Nick and I actually went to a local diving store to do research, and they extended an offer to give us a free lesson. So Nick and I ended up painfully aware of realism issues like this.

On one hand, we knew the issue of clothing was a continuity problem... on the other hand, we were able to make a lot of design/directorial decisions to make the entire underwater scene as authentic and truthful as possible.

We got some good lessons about rebreathers and also great advice about how to make the fictional JP diving gear plausible. Some of the lines that Jess speaks are direct quotes from our instructors.

Shout out to Marin Bamboo Reef in San Rafael for their awesome hospitality and generosity!
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I personally believe Guybrush can fit a giant Q-tip in his pants... I guess its sort of a suspension of belief but so is cloning dinosaurs from mosquito lunch... Its sort of the kind of thing movies, TV, cartoons and games have gotten away with for years...

Yeah but that´s the monkey island universe and Michael Crichton the author of Jurassic Park actually researched the idea of cloning dinosaurs and the response he got from scientist, that specalized in genetics was that it might be possible.

But the international laws on genetics are probably not gonna allow for that to happen.

And in my opinion should not happen.
  • edited November 2011
    Its actually not possible.. any DNA even in a mosquito would have degraded by now... In fact Jack Horner famous as a consultant on Jurassic Park.. and a key inspiration for the character of Alan Grant has said the only thing you WOULD be able to clone from this method is a room full of mosquitos.. and we have enough of them already.
  • edited November 2011
    Basically it's theoretically possible to clone a dinosaur, the problem being getting the material to clone from in which Crichton took some liberties - he was after all writing science fiction.
  • edited November 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    It's just a continuity thing that we have to say 'leave well enough alone' to.

JD, after you worked on the best TT episode since Tales ep.4, we can forgive you anything! :D
    Seriously - and not detracting from the others - the last episode was by far the most well directed. I loved the night talking with Nima (one of the best dialogues of the game), the camera direction, and some of the puzzles were finally a little bit harder - thus satisfying to solve!

Telltale with JP has shown their maturity on how to write a emotional and strong story.
    Now it's time to start to REALLY improve the technical side - or the next time we'll still cannot recognize an incendiary granade.
    Ever thought to rent an external engine?

BTW, congrats! :)
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Its actually not possible.. any DNA even in a mosquito would have degraded by now... In fact Jack Horner famous as a consultant on Jurassic Park.. and a key inspiration for the character of Alan Grant has said the only thing you WOULD be able to clone from this method is a room full of mosquitos.. and we have enough of them already.

He is not a genetics expert (no more than I am) and this article is really interesting which Horner actually speaks on the subject.

But to quote Ian Malcolm : Your scientist was so preoccupied with wether or not they could, they didn´t stop to think if they should.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1026340/Jurassic-Park-comes-true-How-scientists-bringing-dinosaurs-life-help-humble-chicken.html
  • edited November 2011
    If there is a continuity issue with this so close to the end of the game... why not just leave them in their wetsuits?

Just kinda curious.. I mean the end is a hop skip and a jump from there anyway.
  • edited November 2011
    I would let them with the swimsuits.....

Another continuity issue is... Where the hell Nima kept the bag with the canister while she was swimming? I'm pretty sure she is not carrying it while swimming. :/
  • edited November 2011
    I thought they where using Drysuits... When i did scuba diving in Norway i had to war a shirt, sweater, whool pants and whool socks not to freeze to death.

So for me the only continuity error in that episode was "where was the canister during the swimming", "How did they get the shoes with em" and "They should be wet around the neck line of their clotes and the hair would be more messy", other then that i didnt see that much problem (BUT i cant remember if they said anything about "Dry suits" or "Wet Suits" before they went swimmin :\
  • edited November 2011
    ^^ She probably stuffed it inside her suit.

Just a guess...
  • edited November 2011
    AndrewF wrote: »
    ^^ She probably stuffed it inside her suit.

Just a guess...

the answer to this question is that they were probably in dry suits...in which case they had no need to remove clothing...they didnt have buoyancy compensators like typical divers. and jess mentions that buoyancy is controlled via the suit...something only found in a dry suit used by tec divers....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.