Tylosaurus not Mosasaurus

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Okay, I've heard a lot of people on these forums refer to Mosey as a Mosasaur and that's fine, but people who are referring to her as Mosasaurus (specifically Mosasaurus hoffmannii).. well that's just plain wrong.

An interview that was held at Comic Con 2011 with Richard Iggo who is the Senior Director of Marketing for Telltale Games confirmed that the Mosasaur is actually a Tylosaurus. Here is the link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQdm3zUP314&feature=related, and his comment can be found 2:30 minutes into the video.

Furthermore, the commentary on episode 4 from other members of the Telltale staff also specifically identify Mosey as being a Tylosaurus. I have noticed that on websites (specifically Park Pedia, Wikipedia, and occasionally even on these forums) Mosey is being identified as a Mosasaurus so I wanted everyone to simply be aware of the distinction.

Comments

• edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
    yeah and a velociraptor is a deinonychus ... not like fact hasn't been altered for verbal flow before.
  • edited November 2011
    Well, Tylosaurus is a mosasaur, in the mosasauridae family. So it would be correct to call it either a "tylosaurus" or a "mosasaur." (Calling it a "mosasaurus," however, would technically be incorrect, if it is in fact a tylosaurus.) But then maybe InGen wasn't even sure what they had; the characters in the game even express their unfamiliarity and lack of knowledge on the marine exhibit.
  • edited November 2011
    Okay, I've heard a lot of people on these forums refer to Mosey as a Mosasaur and that's fine, but people who are referring to her as Mosasaurus (specifically Mosasaurus hoffmannii).. well that's just plain wrong.

An interview that was held at Comic Con 2011 with Richard Iggo who is the Senior Director of Marketing for Telltale Games confirmed that the Mosasaur is actually a Tylosaurus. Here is the link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQdm3zUP314&feature=related, and his comment can be found 2:30 minutes into the video.

Furthermore, the commentary on episode 4 from other members of the Telltale staff also specifically identify Mosey as being a Tylosaurus. I have noticed that on websites (specifically Park Pedia, Wikipedia, and occasionally even on these forums) Mosey is being identified as a Mosasaurus so I wanted everyone to simply be aware of the distinction.

I had brought this up when the concept for the marine facility was released to the public forums.... its definetly tylosaurus proriger...hoffmanni only hit around 25-30 feet....(not whats seen in JP) tylosaurus Hit 50 feet easy so thats definetly true...but i think they could have used tylosaurus as a name not to confuse people....I loved that level BTW
  • edited November 2011
    If I remember correctly in the game they don't even refer to the dinosaur itself as a mosasaur. The only reference to mosasaur is when they look at the painting in the marine facility and Harding says he thinks the painting is of a mosasaur.
  • edited November 2011
    If I remember correctly in the game they don't even refer to the dinosaur itself as a mosasaur. The only reference to mosasaur is when they look at the painting in the marine facility and Harding says he thinks the painting is of a mosasaur.

Sorkin: "I'm going to release the mosasaur."
  • edited November 2011
    Ooh, thanks for refreshing my memory! She does say mosasaur
  • edited November 2011
    However, Sorkin probably only discovered it, and therefore wouldn't know that it's Tylosaurus. So Mosasaur as a generalization.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.