Jurassic Park: The Game Review - Alternative Magazine Online

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Hey guys,

My review of Jurassic Park: The Game is now live on Alternative Magazine Online:

"You can tell that Telltale are huge fans of the films by simply pausing to soak in the little details. The soundtrack by Jared Emerson-Johnson intersects beautifully with the original score. Minor mistakes from the original film have also been addressed, such as the live-link to the dock having a video status bar underneath, or the Velociraptors being far bigger than they were in real life. Heavy Rain was a far more technically polished game, but in the end, Jurassic Park: The Game tells a much more satisfying story. If you hate QTEs, by all means steer clear. Everyone else should be able to look past the occasional glitch and the lack of difficulty to enjoy what is undoubtedly the best Jurassic Park game ever made, yet no doubt destined to become the most underrated."

Jurassic Park: The Game Review - Alternative Magazine Online

I would love to hear your thoughts! I know this is a game that has somewhat divided players and it would be great to hear more opinions regarding the game, whether positive or negative. :)

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Great review. You touched on all the positives that truly mike this game amazing. It has its faults but overall its a huge success in my book. Its a shame thar it's buried in so much controversy though
  • edited November 2011
    Too bad more people can't see it this way instead of focusing on the damn gamplay. Nice review.
  • edited November 2011
    Nice! Hit all the nails on their heads.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah I hate QTE.. I always will but oddly I am fond of many games with them in it.. Like Jurassic Park, Heavy Rain, and Shenmue.... People unfairly say JP is ONLY QTE.. but its not there are puzzle and environmental exploration and plenty of old school adventure game dialogue trees.
  • edited November 2011
    _Veritas_ wrote: »
    Too bad more people can't see it this way instead of focusing on the damn gamplay.

Gameplay is the most important aspect of a game. Why should we ignore it?
  • edited November 2011
    jpark_08 wrote: »

I do not think gameplay is the MOST important part.. I think its equal to story and presentation..
  • edited November 2011
    I think the issue at hand is most reviewers are knocking JP for a game that it isn't. The professional reviews I've read have taken issue with the presentation of Jurassic Park the game, with the supposedly limited exploration and linear narrative flow. Everyone seems to be forgetting that its a Telltale adventure game. People don't bash on Assassin's Creed for not being more like God of War, yet some game review's think the gameplay of Jurassic Park should of been something else. I see where they are coming from, but as many of you agree, they should score the game at hand.
  • edited November 2011
    jpark_08 wrote: »

I never said ignore it but it seems to be THE ONLY THING people are caring about. Really? There is more to it than the gameplay.
  • edited November 2011
    I actually still play adventure games to this day because they generally have stronger storylines than other types of games. In recent years other genres seem to have gotten their acts together. For example, the Uncharted games on PlayStation 3 have characters, locations and stories that remind me very much of classic adventure games in everything but gameplay.

Gameplay is important, but for me storyline and characters are equally, if not even more important: the gameplay can be great but I won't really care very much unless I'm emotionally invested.

I understand the criticisms against both Back To The Future: The Game and Jurassic Park: The Game, but to me both titles did pretty much exactly what they set out to do and I had a blast playing them.
  • edited November 2011
    I didn't like the story or the writing either. Not everything Telltale touches turns to gold.
  • edited November 2011
    I didn't like the story or the writing either. Not everything Telltale touches turns to gold.

Wait, who are you agreeing with when you say "either"?
  • edited November 2011
    TP3D wrote: »
    Wait, who are you agreeing with when you say "either"?

I think he's saying he didn't like the story or writing either, ie. as well as disliking the gameplay. I do agree though that it's a bit of a random comment... also, who said everything Telltale touches turns to gold? :confused:
  • edited November 2011
    Nobody, but most everyone seems to act that way in this forum. I thought my reply was pretty straightforward, though. I was replying to your comment about story being important. My comment was about how I agree and how Jurassic Park didn't measure up in that aspect either as it also did not in gameplay.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.