What kind of books do you read?

edited May 2007 in General Chat
I personally like sci-fi and fantasy. I have enjoyed immensely most books written by Terry Pratchett, Orson Scott Card, and Anne McCaffrey.

Comments

• edited May 2007
    I don't read as many books as I used to, but I still read Discworld a lot. I wish Pratchett got as much recognition as JK Rowling does.
  • edited May 2007
    Horror and humor. I worship the ground Stephen King walks on. Throw in some Dave Barry, and I'm set.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Textbooks.
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    Technical stuff: SDK's and Manuals
  • edited May 2007
    Anything by Stephen Baxter and Steven Erikson. Anything by Jostein Gaarder, though he isn't very active at this point. I'm also into the Harry Potter series and I will at some point get my hands on the new Tolkien book. My shelves have plenty of other books but other than these no authors dominate it.
    And yes, plenty of textbooks as well. Some of my textbooks in logic and philosophy are actually pretty comfortable reading. Unfortunately, while no less interesting, the same can rarely be said of my math textbooks and syllabi. Heavy stuff, that.
  • edited May 2007
    At the moment I'm forced to read a lot of history studies, and a boring book about research methods for social science... I love Discworld though, just couldn't find the time to read any for a while now - at least I read the first 11 books. I also read a chapter (or sometimes 2) of Pride and Prejudice in bed, if I haven't already fallen asleep.
  • edited May 2007
    New Tolkein book?

I like to read sci fi and fantasy, but I spend most of my time with "classic" literature. I think I find it comforting that certain books have lasted for such a long period of time and are still applicable today... I have absolutely no faith in new books, and as such I rarely read them :P
  • edited May 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    New Tolkein book?
    The Children of Hurin
    One of his earliest stories but one that never got published as such until now (though parts of it seeped through to the public in various ways). His son Christopher sifted through his notes to locate and compile the whole story. It's apparantly quite a good one.
  • edited May 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    New Tolkein book?

That's "The Children of Hurin", right? Is it good?

I read all kinds of book, even manga and comics too... :) . But lately I have the passion for ancient histories and archeological papers.

Speaking of comics, perhaps you guys from europe can help me identify an old european comic? It has two leads named Danny and Katia... I don't know the artist I only remember it's about action, mystery and espionage. I love old european comics, as a matter of fact, I'm collecting them.
  • edited May 2007
    How did I miss out on this? Thanks Harald and Leviathan for enlightening me on what may soon become part of my library.
  • edited May 2007
    I'm reading Harry Potter 3 right now, and I really want to read On Stranger Tides, but my library doesent have it, so I got my Library to do this inter-library transfer to let me get it from the library in the next city beside us. Hopefully it comes soon!

I also like The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of The apocalypse and it's sequel The Toyminator. If you like Sam & Max and british humour you'll love them.
  • edited May 2007
    The last one i read was The pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho. Fantastic book.
  • edited May 2007
    the kind of books i read are romance,scary,and a little fun and comdy in the books and mystery books.:cool:
  • edited May 2007
    The books i read most lately are sci-fi but i still have a big spot in my heart for fantasy. Right now I'm reading "Star Wars: Legacy of the Force: Betrayal". I love the star wars extended universe, Jacen Solo has to be my favorite character in the entire series. I also read as much Terry Prattchet as i can possibly get and occasionally a Piers Anthony Xanth novel comes out that involves certain characters that i have grown attached to over the years.

I'm also reading "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" but that not really as exiting... ;)
  • edited May 2007
    Anything and everything really. I'm not heavily into sci-fi or fantasy but will read some of the lighter stuff ... Thomas Covenant etc.

At the moment I am reading Encylopaedia of the Serial Killer. Quite interesting - there are certainly some sick people out there. My workmates are kind of freaking out about it.
  • edited May 2007
    glo_kidd wrote: »
    I'm also reading "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" but that not really as exiting... ;)

I read that once... it had good suspense, a little romance, and some great comedic moments. Sadly, I never finished it because the version of the book I had had an error on day 7's material... and it made me so frustrated I quit.
  • edited May 2007
    -just wanted to contribute here because there are women here-

-pushes his invisible nerd glasses up-
  • edited May 2007
    *gives AdamG a wedgie*

*giggles*
  • edited May 2007
    :D

What's that icon of yours supposed to be sparklechick? It looks like a rootbeer float with a tomato slice on the side resting on a fish. :p
  • edited May 2007
    *waves BIIIIG stick at AdamG*

That's Gary .... Spongebob's snail ... wearing his Santa hat coz he's festive like that :)
  • edited May 2007
    it's a snail with a santa hat, I believe :)

Edit: Well, I was late but at least I was right :)
  • edited May 2007
    -is hit by stick and recoils in pain-

Ohhh, that's what it is! :p
  • edited May 2007
    You guys are SO mean ....

*sobs* *pouts*

:D

Isn't it past your bedtime you lot?
  • edited May 2007
    Heh, I was about to guess for a "mixer-with-a-submarine-shaped-bottom-wearing a Santa’s hat", but I guess that a snail make more sense :p
  • edited May 2007
    I was just askin', that's all. :p I didn't want to think it was something that it wasn't. Nah, Momma Bosco lets me stay up really late. ;)

Want some coffee? Cocoa with marshmellows perhaps? :p
  • edited May 2007
    :(

-drinks his cocoa and marshmellows by himself-
  • edited May 2007
    Isn't it past your bedtime you lot?

When I read that, I immediately looked at your location... I thought Austrailia or New Zealand... and it appears I was correct on the latter. Welcome to the forums :)

*Edit*Oh, and watch out for AdamG... he is a womanizer... actually, I don't know that for sure, we don't see many female folk on here. At least he makes good cocoa... well, I am not sure about that either, but one of my two hunches is bound to be correct.
  • edited May 2007
    -decides it's better to be a womanizer then it is to be most any other thing-
  • edited May 2007
    It's true, the ladies fall on their knees at Adam's feet wherever he goes.
  • edited May 2007
    hello.gif
  • edited May 2007
    *resists urge to vomit*

Always nice to talk to friendly people from around the world.

Assuming you're all friendly that is ...

*narrows eyes*
  • edited May 2007
    I'm friendly... if by "friendly" you mean "a bit psychotic". And by "a bit" you mean "extremely". And by "psychotic" you mean "hungry".

...... *a few minutes pass*

I ated a butter, and my face was covered in butter, and I used a paper towel to wipe off the butter, and now I'm out of butter.

Good thing I have margarine.
  • edited May 2007
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

RIP book thread

I will remember you fondly.
  • edited May 2007
    *looks around*" I didn't derail this thread! Really! Oh nay nay, I don't derail threads!

*runs*
  • edited May 2007
    -is pretty sure the humor was missed-
  • edited May 2007
    -if the past two posts were what AdamG was talking about, nope-
  • edited May 2007
    Alright, I think we should all get back on topic before things get any nastier.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.