WTF? Pteranodons.

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
So the Pteranodons were a nice addition. I liked that they didn't have teeth either. I almost feel like all the pteranodon in JP3 were failed attempts at real pteranodons and the gene splicing kept giving them teeth and super aggression. Once they succeeded in breeding pteranodons closer to their real prehistoric counterparts they transfered them to the park for the Pterasaur lodge. Maybe after careful consideration they decided that the pteranodon seen in the game were the best option over the aggressive teethed Pteras from JP3 and the supposedly territorial Pteras from TLW.

Now for my real question? where did the pteranodons in the game come from? Are we to assume they escaped once the power went off? Did sorkin release them? Gerry obviously knows they're lose hence why he asked sorkin about the Lycene issue with the pteranodons.

I also wondered why there's no Pteranodon entry in sorkin's Journal. There also should have been entries for Gallimimus and Brachiosaur even if they didn't appear in the game.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    The appearance of the Pteranodons is a question I'd like answered too.

Also...they DID have teeth.
  • edited November 2011
    we know there actually was an aviary on Isla Nublar...
    including a planned tour in some sort of vehicle.
    unfortunately this wasn't covered in the game and why the pteranodons get free is also not clear.
  • edited November 2011
    According to the book plot, Nublar had an Aviary and a Riverboat tour, however, those were omitted from the first film and repurposed for the third.
  • edited November 2011
    It's a bit messy: the Pteranodons we see in The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III are clearly very different - not to mention that in the second film they roam free and in the third we are supposed to believe they have been locked up in the aviary until Grant and the Kirby's came along. (How they were supposed to survive is left to the imagination as well - you'd imagine animals would soon start avoiding the aviary, being aware of the danger.)

My theory is (I'm aware it does not explain the difference in appearance of the same creature in both films) that the Pteranodons had a way out of the aviary (a hole in the fence), but would nest there because they knew it was a safe place, high away from predators.

Their appearance on Nublar is a bit of a mystery: they most likely had an aviary on Nublar (which we don't see - I read that due to legal reasons, the game's designers could only follow the films, not the books) from which they escaped.
  • edited November 2011
    The appearance of the Pteranodons is a question I'd like answered too.

Also...they DID have teeth.

Did they have teeth? I looked and looked and didn't see any.
  • edited November 2011
    mannyguy1 wrote: »
    Did they have teeth? I looked and looked and didn't see any.

I think he was saying that the legitimate Pteranodons had teeth, which makes JP inconsistent with reality, just like how real raptors had feathers, but I don't think it matters since it's just a movie and the whole dinosaur + amphibian DNA concept is flawed.
  • edited November 2011
    mannyguy1 wrote: »
    I also wondered why there's no Pteranodon entry in sorkin's Journal. There also should have been entries for Gallimimus and Brachiosaur even if they didn't appear in the game.

They most likely will be added to the deluxe addition replica of Sorkin's journal. It'll have 16 more pages so I'd be surprised if they weren't included in it.
  • edited November 2011
    Here is my theory of the Pteranodons (from my little review):

The inclusion of the Pteranodons puzzled me at first. But I came up with my own explanation. Although not mentioned in the game (and very discreetly mentioned in the film), I believe Isla Nublar must have had an aviary just like it does in the novel. I think that maybe they broke out of it either due to the power failure somehow or even perhaps from damage by the storm, and that’s why you see them freely flying about. It wouldn’t make sense otherwise because, as we see in the game, they are too dangerous of creatures to have loose. And for those that may balk at this idea because an aviary isn’t really mentioned, well, this was actually the case in the novel as well, until the scene occurs. Malcolm in the novel even says something like, “How come this wasn’t mentioned as part of the tour?”, and the answer is of course because of the “problems” they had with the aviary…
Sign in to comment in this discussion.