When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth banner

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Please tell me that is not Comic Sans I saw on the "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" banner in JP Episode 1. What happened to "spared no expense?". Hammond would have splurged for a commercial typeface. ;)

Comments

• edited November 2011
    It definitely isn't the same font as in the movie, I noticed this too. No, I'm not some rabid fan tearing the game apart, its just I'm a designer and I tent to stare at strange things like that, even when they are in the background.

It would be hilarious if it was comic sans, I have to go back and check it out.
  • edited November 2011
    TP3D wrote: »
    It definitely isn't the same font as in the movie, I noticed this too. No, I'm not some rabid fan tearing the game apart, its just I'm a designer and I tent to stare at strange things like that, even when they are in the background.

It would be hilarious if it was comic sans, I have to go back and check it out.

Speaking as a designer as well, comic sans should go extinct. :D
  • edited November 2011
    Comic Sans was released in 1994, and the "Ban Comic Sans" movement didn't begin until 1999, so clearly Hammond was using it before it was mainstream, and perhaps he was the one who commissioned it initially. Spared no expense indeed.
  • edited November 2011
    I don't get why people hate Comic Sans, I see it everyday. My school has FLYERS written in Comic Sans.
  • edited November 2011
    Of course it does, haha
  • edited November 2011
    I don't get why people hate Comic Sans, I see it everyday. My school has FLYERS written in Comic Sans.

Because it was never designed to be use on anything except Microsoft Bob, yet it's used all over the place. And people who know nothing about good type think Comic Sans is great when it's centered and fills the whole page.
  • edited November 2011
    Of course it does, haha

Hahaha indeed!
  • edited November 2011
    Welcome to Jurassic Park!!
    Please come in!!!!

I guess it isn't so bad! ;)
  • edited November 2011
    I noticed this on the prerelease screenshots!!!
    Riddle me this. How is it that my model http://computergenius.deviantart.com/art/Visitor-Center-Interior-1-258065239?q=gallery%3Acomputergenius%2F5593734&qo=10 , that I made in two weeks, is more accurate than the professionaly made one?! THE FONT IS CALLED "AFRICAN"! It took 20 seconds with google to find this! You guys even said that you used google for much of your research in the commentary!

Don't gt me wrong. I love the game but it's all these little details that are wrong that are just building up.
  • edited November 2011
    I don't think its a big deal, shouldn't let something like this get in the way of you enjoying the game.
  • edited November 2011
    I didn't notice it.... If Gerry's lack of a mustache doesn't bug me I do not know why a font would.
  • edited November 2011
    I still thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the game but it's kinda like "geez, couldn't you get the font right?" All I had to do was take screen caps from the movie and base my model off that.

I guess what my point is, is that a lot of work and love went into this game. That's self evident. But it's just strange that there is so much detail to begin with but then all these little details that should have been caught. The JP font in iconic. It's used properly in the rest of the game except on this huge freaking banner.

I just find it hard to believe that NO ONE WORKING ON THIS GAME NOTICED THIS.

I mean I'll disregard that they messed up the marble in the floor a bit just because it's hard to see.

I don't know. I'm very detail oriented and I would think that others who do this stuff for a living would be too.

I had two weeks. They had 2+ years. In that whole time no one thought, "huh? that font looks a bit off."?

I'm not knocking the game, I'm just confused.

BTW yes I could be wrong about the development time, but the point still stands.
  • edited November 2011
    I have the agree with you, Computer Genius. I haven't finished the game yet, and clearly a whole lot of work went into it. However, I am noticing a few small details already that got glossed over, are just plain wrong, or don't make sense. I feel bad pointing any out as the game is great so far, but they ARE there.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole dilo thing. We've had two separate explanations for that, now.
  • edited November 2011
    I noticed this on the prerelease screenshots!!!
    Riddle me this. How is it that my model http://computergenius.deviantart.com/art/Visitor-Center-Interior-1-258065239?q=gallery%3Acomputergenius%2F5593734&qo=10 , that I made in two weeks, is more accurate than the professionaly made one?!

Wait, they made THAT sign in Comic Sans? Does anybody have a screenshot? I mean even if you don't have the exact font, it's clearly a block font and not a handwritten-looking one. I mean I get that it's a slightly irregular font but... comic sans is basically as dissimilar as you can go. Arial Black would have worked.
  • edited November 2011
    couldn't agree ComputerGenius more...

I also noticed that wrong use of the font immediately and I actually have no real explanation for it.
    I mean TTG has been so carefully about a lot of other details and even USED the real font for several other stuff. Why they missused Comic Sans here is completely mysterious.

(why not use the rare Times New Roman for JURASSIC PARK: THE GAME)
  • edited November 2011
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Wait, they made THAT sign in Comic Sans? Does anybody have a screenshot? I mean even if you don't have the exact font, it's clearly a block font and not a handwritten-looking one. I mean I get that it's a slightly irregular font but... comic sans is basically as dissimilar as you can go. Arial Black would have worked.

Here http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/comparisonr.jpg/

The font they used in the movie is called "African". It took me all of 20seconds to find on the net for my model.

Don't even get me started on the fact that they used the main doorway twice for the side door. Not to mention it wouldn't even physically fit. But that's another thread. lol

Telltale needs to hire me on as 'quality control' for the next JP game.
  • edited November 2011
    Here http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/comparisonr.jpg/

The font they used in the movie is called "African". It took me all of 20seconds to find on the net for my model.

Don't even get me started on the fact that they used the main doorway twice for the side door. Not to mention it wouldn't even physically fit. But that's another thread. lol

Telltale needs to hire me on as 'quality control' for the next JP game.

I can nitpick too :))
    You are using the African font but in the movie the S is shaped slightly different :))
  • edited November 2011

I'm studying graphic design and typography.
    There are several reasons, why nobody likes the font, especially because it's over-used, used inadequate and looks amateurish.
    Moreover, it's not a good font. It has several mistakes and it's illegible in long texts.

There are thousands of good Comic and Script fonts which do a way better job than Comic Sans.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah your font is definitely much closer but it's not spot-on either. Looking at the corners of any letter there are obvious differences. Still any blocky font would suffice as "close enough," so it's bizarre that they used a rounded-edged font like Comic Sans when all the movie sign's edges are distinctly flat and sharp.
  • edited November 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    I can nitpick too :))
    You are using the African font but in the movie the S is shaped slightly different :))

Closer than Comic Sans though.
  • edited November 2011
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Yeah your font is definitely much closer but it's not spot-on either. Looking at the corners of any letter there are obvious differences. Still any blocky font would suffice as "close enough," so it's bizarre that they used a rounded-edged font like Comic Sans when all the movie sign's edges are distinctly flat and sharp.

It's almost like it's unfinished. Like it was a temp texture that no one remembered to fix.
  • edited November 2011
    Someday, one of you guys might have an actual production job and realize that amongst the BAJILLION things you have to do to get a project complete, small things (like this banner font) get overlooked or approved as-is because there are items higher on the priority list. I fully believe they knew it was the wrong font, and just had a lot more to address and fix before the release date. Considering you see the banner in the corner of a couple scenes, and you have to look for it to notice it, and most people don't really care its not african font, I can see why they might of let it slide.
  • edited November 2011
    Someday, one of you guys might have an actual production job and realize that amongst the BAJILLION things you have to do to get a project complete, small things (like this banner font) get overlooked or approved as-is because there are items higher on the priority list. I fully believe they knew it was the wrong font, and just had a lot more to address and fix before the release date. Considering you see the banner in the corner of a couple scenes, and you have to look for it to notice it, and most people don't really care its not african font, I can see why they might of let it slide.

Yeah? Well, that's why game companies have people play test games. It's not just for catching glitches.
  • edited November 2011
    Like I said, I'm sure they knew it was the wrong font, so it would of been irrelevant if "testers" pointed it to them regardless.
  • edited November 2011
    Oh well. It is what it is.:rolleyes:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.