Unable to install Hector Ep 3

edited January 2012 in Game Support
Hi,

I purchased the Hector series through the digital distributor Gamersgate.

Episode 1 and 2 install and play fine, however, when I run the Episode 3 installer, I get an error message saying that "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows your're running. Check you computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher"

I am running Windows 7 64bit Professional.

I have tried to run the installer as an administrator as well as under various compatibility modes without any success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Hi,

I wish I could help with this, but Gamersgate has a proprietary downloader and installer for games sold through them. I've found their customer support to be good in the past, though, so you might want to contact them directly.

Best advice I could offer is to try deleting the file entirely and redownloading it from them.

Thanks,
    Michael
  • edited December 2011
    Mac Daddy Gonz,

I also just purchased Hector - Badge of Carnage from Gamersgate.com today 12/21/2011 (on-sale). I have same installation problem with Episode 3. Episodes One and Two install fine, but number three says it's not compatible with my version of windows 7 (64-bit). I believe Gamersgate has the wrong (or corrupt) version on their website for download and that Telltale needs to contact them with a functional copy. I've attached the errors and requested help from Gamersgate and Telltale. I'll update this post if I hear something.

Sincerely, Spud

P.S. I've re-downloaded the installer, the cached install files, run as administrator, and tried the Win XP compatiblity modes. Because Episodes One and Two work perfectly, I believe it's the 3rd episode installer itself that is the problem (either encrypted wrapper or the installer).
  • edited December 2011
    We've been in contact with Gamersgate and believe we've identified the issue on their end. This should be resolved today, depending on how long they take to make a new installer available.
  • edited December 2011
    Michael,

I really appreciate you trying to assist Gamergate. Could you help Gamergate a little bit more? They said Episode 3 was just "fixed" for Windows 64-bit versions and unfortunately nothing actually changed on the user end.

Thanks,
    SpudmanVA
  • edited January 2012
    I have experienced the same problem with this game from GamersGate. It now appears that they have updated the system requirements (for the Hector bundle) to state "Note: Won't work on a 64-bit Operating system!".

Please, TellTale, can you liaise with GamersGate to fix this? It may be that the interim solution will be to download the game directly from TellTale, but in the meantime is the game supposed to be compatible with 64-bit Windows?
  • edited January 2012
    I'll make sure they're contacted again over this, and I'm not sure why they did that. All three episodes of Hector absolutely work in 64-bit versions of Windows. I apologize for the inconvenience, and I'll get this thread updated as soon as I know anything.
  • edited January 2012
    Michael,

In case it helps... I also tried the Gamersgate version of Hector: Episode 3 on a Windows XP (32-bit) machine and it flashes up a DOS looking window and does nothing and the Gamersgate installer says it's complete. There has got to be a problem with that Gamersgate Episode 3 installer. Other folks posted the same results on the 32-bit machines.

Thanks,
    SpudmanVA

P.S. Still won't install on Windows 7 (64-bit). <sigh>
    P.P.S. This may be the same problem from months ago...
  • edited January 2012
    We pushed our build of that episode to them again weeks ago, which was the same build we gave them the first time. It works fine here. I'm honestly not sure what's going on with it at this point, but we're definitely looking into it.
  • edited January 2012
    Just wanted to add that I am also experiencing this problem. Needless to say, I regret buying from them. When I tried Episode 3 on my current Win 7 64-bit computer, I got a really old 16-bit error message indicating the file as not compatible with 64 bit OS. I dragged out my old Windows XP 32-bit machine and tried the install on that computer and the only thing that happens is a command box briefly comes up and closes. I have found threads on Gamergate's website indicating others are having both of these problems. I think it is in Telltale's interest to find out whats going on here and stop Gamersgate from selling this version of the game if necessary.
  • edited January 2012
    Today I received a communication from GamersGate:

"Hi
    Sorry for a long reply. There seems to be an issue with the third part indeed, and it is great that you contacted the publishers on it. We do not have much to suggest now since we tried to resolve the issue. As you can see the game is not sold for the moment so we are waiting for the resolution from Telltale. But I can also issue a refund in blue coins so you can later on buy any game for the same amount using them without having the troubles of using a card - instantly and anytime you like.
    More information can be found here
    http://www.gamersgate.com/info/faq-10-701

|
    !! Please Note: We are very sorry for the late reply. We have found out that we had a problem with the email server and a lot of tickets and replies were never delivered or received.
    The problems are hopefully solved now, but there is a lot of catching up to do."

Michael, is there anything you can do? I'm not after a refund, I want the hot game! Can those of us who purchased Episode 3 from GamersGate provide proof of purchase and then download it direct from Telltale?

I look forward to your advice.
  • edited January 2012
    Telltale, I'm having the same issue that other users in this thread have reported, namely that Episode 3 of Hector doesn't work in a 64-bit version of Windows.

I complained to Gamersgate about this, and received the following response yesterday (13/01/12):

"Episode 3 doesnt work on 64-bit and we do not sell this game anymore. I recommend that you contact the developers or go with a partial or full refund."

Seems that Gamersgate are washing their hands of the problem, but that doesn't fix my game! Please can you offer a resolution, as a full refund is not what I want, but will have to consider if this issue can't be fixed.
  • edited January 2012
    I have also received an offer for a refund from GamersGate, but I don't want the money. I want to play the game. Telltale, can you please advise if there's any possibility of those who can show proof of purchase from GamersGate being able to download episode 3 directly from the Telltale website?
  • edited January 2012
    Hi,

This is frustrating all around, and I don't want to get into a public argument with Gamersgate, but their claim that the game doesn't run in 64-bit OS's is patently incorrect. They were sent the same build that was sent to Steam, Impulse, etc. The game itself works fine in 64-bit environments.

We're also not going to be able to offer refunds on a purchase that wasn't made through us, and I'm not sure why they're recommending that. However, if you're able to provide me with a proof of purchase through them, I can get the full season of Hector added to your account here. Please PM me your order confirmations from Gamersgate and I'll take care of it for you.

Thanks,
    Michael
  • edited January 2012
    Michael,

Thanks for all the help on this. I received an email earlier today from Gamersgate stating:

"We have got a new version from TellTale now and this one worked on my W7 64-bit. Delete current files and download/install again."

I've downloaded it again, and I'm no longer receiving error messages - I can now play Episode 3! Whoever it was that fixed the issue, you have my thanks. :)
  • edited January 2012
    Awesome! Glad to hear it got sorted out, and I'm sorry it took so long.
  • edited January 2012
    After seeing this recent development, I removed all temporary Gamersgate installation files and downloaded it one more time (today). It installed correctly and ran correctly on my Windows 7 (64-bit) computer. Thanks for your help. Too bad it took so long to fix, and the gamersgate unpacked installer name is different than the broken one... interesting...

SpudmanVA
  • edited January 2012
    I have downloaded the latest Gamersgate file, and it works on my Windows 7 64 bit machine. I received no notification of this development from Gamergate, my latest notice was "We can give you a refund, the game won't work".

Thanks Telltale, and particularly Michael. (I should note that I lost this thread for a couple of days, but that was a PEBKAC).
This discussion has been closed.