Are the Dilo's really stunted?

edited December 2011 in Jurassic Park
Hello a friend of mine on another site is really POed that the Dilos are stuck as juvies. Me and another firend have brought up some arguments AGAINST it but he wants us to ask you guys. So are the Dilos really stunted or just Juvies? He's concerned that it's a retcon to what little canon has been established to his favorite animals. 11:47 PM
EDIT:Proof that they aren't stunted
Nedry's line in the movie "Oh I thought you where one of your big brothers"-Sure Nedry's dumb but eh was smart enough to leave the Raptor pen on and knew enough about the Dinos that his word counts for something.
TLW Dilo Screensaver-http://www.jplegacy.org/encyc/debates/DiloDebate.jpg This was on the computer in the trailer.
Spielberg's word-Spielberg has said that the Dilos where juvies.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Well... in the JP game world they are juveniles.. and will eventually grow into even more terrifying adults.

They talked about it in the tour vid for the game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s4aC0orVgk

the fact that the real animals grew to 20 feet in length, this explanation pleases me.
  • edited November 2011
    Thanks my friend will be thrilled to know. ;)
  • edited November 2011
    Except now we might have an issue; spoilers below; don't click unless you have played at least through Episode 2.
    One of the unlocked journal entries states that the dilos ARE stunted, due to Wu's tampering with the DNA.

I really don't like this; the explanation that they were simply new additions to the park (and thus still young) pleased me a lot more, and made more sense. However, at the same time it seems during Episode 2 we see a dilo nest, and if these were juveniles they shouldn't have been, well, you know.

Telltale seemed to be doing really well, but there are a couple of issues where their own canon is overriding itself.

So I don't know what's going on, but I want to say juveniles, not stunted.
  • edited November 2011
    Except now we might have an issue; spoilers below; don't click unless you have played at least through Episode 2.
    One of the unlocked journal entries states that the dilos ARE stunted, due to Wu's tampering with the DNA.

I really don't like this; the explanation that they were simply new additions to the park (and thus still young) pleased me a lot more, and made more sense. However, at the same time it seems during Episode 2 we see a dilo nest, and if these were juveniles they shouldn't have been, well, you know.

Telltale seemed to be doing really well, but there are a couple of issues where their own canon is overriding itself.

So I don't know what's going on, but I want to say juveniles, not stunted.

True she does talk about theirs
    being small, and theorizes that their Dilos may have been changed due to DNA tampering.. but she doesn't say that they are definitively stunted or full grown..
    in fact to me it seemed like she was musing and not really making any declaration.
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    being small, and theorizes that their Dilos may have been changed due to DNA tampering.. but she doesn't say that they are definitively stunted or full grown..
    in fact to me it seemed like she was musing and not really making any declaration.

Not to mention her constant bashing of Wu and Hammond and InGen.
  • edited November 2011
    I don't see why them being stunted and juvenile need be seen as mutually exclusive things.

They can easily be juveniles that have stunted growth and therefore are already smaller than they should be and when fully grown will remain smaller than they should be.

I mean consider dwarfism in humans, they have stunted growth obviously but that doesn't magically mean they skip over being a "juvenile" (child) just because they have almost reached the limits of their growth.
  • edited November 2011
    How do you know it was a Dilopho nest? It could've been anyone's, and the Dilopho was just nearby and hungry.

A real mother would never stop protecting their nest, so why would the Dilopho just run off?
  • edited November 2011
    Hermes7282 wrote: »
    How do you know it was a Dilopho nest? It could've been anyone's, and the Dilopho was just nearby and hungry.

A real mother would never stop protecting their nest, so why would the Dilopho just run off?

It could have been hunting for food, then it could have heard an intruder, then it would have been like :mad:
  • edited November 2011
    nanotyrano wrote: »
    It could have been hunting for food, then it could have heard an intruder, then it would have been like :mad:

But then it would try to kill him. Animal mothers do that. They wouldn't leave, they would protect it to the best of their abilities. I think some dino laid an egg, the Dilo was nearby, and saw Yoder, and wanted food.
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Wu's amphibian DNA has profoundly changed our Dilophosaurs. They should grow to six meters long. None in our brood are that big.
    She's directly stated that they are stunted. Yes it's very true, she isn't directly saying "they are fully grown," but this seems to be the implication. I suppose I'm only annoyed because they had to complicate things; sure they could be stunted juveniles; wouldn't it have just been easier to say they were juveniles OR stunted? This overly complicates things, but either way she makes it clear they are stunted.

Yes I do agree maybe it WASN'T a dilo nest; perfectly reasonable; just seemed a funny thing to say "momma's not going to be happy" and then the dilo pops out; I feel most people would assume that's who that was; momma.
  • edited November 2011
    Wu's amphibian DNA has profoundly changed our Dilophosaurs. They should grow to six meters long. None in our brood are that big.
    She's directly stated that they are stunted. Yes it's very true, she isn't directly saying "they are fully grown," but this seems to be the implication. I suppose I'm only annoyed because they had to complicate things; sure they could be stunted juveniles; wouldn't it have just been easier to say they were juveniles OR stunted? This overly complicates things, but either way she makes it clear they are stunted.

Yes I do agree maybe it WASN'T a dilo nest; perfectly reasonable; just seemed a funny thing to say "momma's not going to be happy" and then the dilo pops out; I feel most people would assume that's who that was; momma.

I do indeed think that these Dilos are adult, however Wu maybe had stated to John Hammond that they would grow larger at maturity, and lied about what age they were when shipped over from Sorna.

As none should have been sexually active it's safe to say Muldoon and Gerry presumed that they hadn't reached maturity yet and were expecting them to reach their fossil record size eventually.

They were the latest addition to the park too so this kinda backs up my theory.

It is possible though that Wu was fixing a mistake he knew to be true and there were 20ft ones on Sorna.
  • edited December 2011
    I read somewhere, (years ago! sorry don't have the source) that at the time the movie was made, the biggest Dilophosaur that had been discovered was around the size of the one in the movie. Scientist wondered how it could kill larger prey being that size. So that's why for the JP movie they gave it the frill around his neck and the ability to spit paralyzing venom. So it could be easier for him to kill. And AFTER the movie came out, a 9 foot Dilo was found. With that size, it became pretty clear it didn't need any special tricks to kill.
  • edited December 2011
    Mike55 wrote: »
    Hello a friend of mine on another site is really POed that the Dilos are stuck as juvies. Me and another firend have brought up some arguments AGAINST it but he wants us to ask you guys. So are the Dilos really stunted or just Juvies? He's concerned that it's a retcon to what little canon has been established to his favorite animals. 11:47 PM
    EDIT:Proof that they aren't stunted
    Nedry's line in the movie "Oh I thought you where one of your big brothers"-Sure Nedry's dumb but eh was smart enough to leave the Raptor pen on and knew enough about the Dinos that his word counts for something.
    TLW Dilo Screensaver-http://www.jplegacy.org/encyc/debates/DiloDebate.jpg This was on the computer in the trailer.
    Spielberg's word-Spielberg has said that the Dilos where juvies.

story purposes, i think they are Stunted, doesn't it say in the journal you get during episode 2? i could be wrong.

for the film purpose, Spielberg didn't want the audience confusing them for Raptors, so he scaled them down to distinguish the two species.
  • edited December 2011
    JPPR_002 wrote: »
    I read somewhere, (years ago! sorry don't have the source) that at the time the movie was made, the biggest Dilophosaur that had been discovered was around the size of the one in the movie. Scientist wondered how it could kill larger prey being that size. So that's why for the JP movie they gave it the frill around his neck and the ability to spit paralyzing venom. So it could be easier for him to kill. And AFTER the movie came out, a 9 foot Dilo was found. With that size, it became pretty clear it didn't need any special tricks to kill.

yea, Dilo's don't have any evidence of them having frills and the ability to spit venom. Crichton took liberties for the Dilo's when writing the book, wanted to make them more interesting. which makes sense, it is a work of fiction and wanted to make it more terrifying. Spielberg added the frills to add the terror.
  • edited December 2011
    Evidence with Dilo's is a big problem because anyone can't write in this Environment.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm according to Jurassic Park Wiki the Noval has ones that are 10 foot tall that bigger than the real ones (hight wise). The film uses Juvies, dunno what the game has though.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.