T-Rex's Hunt?

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Through out most of the game, a T-Rex is a vicious hunter that will eat you if you move. My question is why? In the books and movie, it is shown that a meal of as much as a goat will stave its hunger. But in the game, you're always seeing it eating, be it a parasaurolophus or raptor, it always finds time to eat you. Why?

Comments

• edited November 2011
    It wouldn't be as exciting if the rex didn't try to eat you... Maybe the rex was just protecting its territory and food source from a threat it didn't quite understand...
  • edited November 2011
    Thats the omly way it can defend itself, if it needs to kill, it eats the thing it wants. Starving is not factor.
  • edited November 2011
    Well what about overeating? It always swallows you, never takes you to a nest or something for storage.
  • edited November 2011
    I believe the developers did mention all of the dinosaurs having distinct personalities, the Tyrannosaurus in question being an opportunist.
  • edited November 2011
    I dont think the tyrannosaurs on isla sorna ate as much when they werent hungry they didnt hunt or eat!

well when they were hungry anyways, yeah i like isla sorna better than isla nublar
  • edited November 2011
    I noticed, too, the T-rex seems to eat an awful lot! But then, the game wouldn't be as exciting or intense if the rex was just shown lazily napping for the whole game after one meal. The science reasoning side of me can justify it by pointing out that a warm-blooded metabolism comes at the cost of constantly having to eat, and as the timeline of the game spans a few days, one big meal per day plus one or two smaller opportunistic meals per day seems reasonable for a large tyrannosaur.

Plus, all the eating could be all the years of suppressed hunting instinct surfacing after a lifetime of being fed tethered goats. :p

(or maybe there was more than one T. rex...)
  • edited November 2011
    Maybe it swallows as much as it can, then regurgitates the rest into a horrific meat heap... Egh... On second thought, maybe I don't want to know.
  • edited November 2011
    hmm the tyrannosaur mistaking you as a threat highly doubt that your freaking small compared to it, but if it has offspring's yeah it would then go after you
  • edited November 2011
    hmm the tyrannosaur mistaking you as a threat highly doubt that your freaking small compared to it, but if it has offspring's yeah it would then go after you

Less threat, more like intruder. The Tyrannosaur seems to be territorial, and it also seems to lay claim to areas pretty quickly since there aren't as many predators to contest it. Such as the Visitor's Center.
  • edited November 2011
    in the second they established that the Rex was territorial.. and that is why they would not let up and hunted down the people beyond their usual territory..
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah, but they ran into it randomly, and it's territory couldn't be the entire north area. It would never have known about all that previously.
  • edited November 2011
    Dinofossil wrote: »
    Yeah, but they ran into it randomly, and it's territory couldn't be the entire north area. It would never have known about all that previously.

well if i was the tyrannosaur i would want to venture everything i've never seen before, it could be just getting used to the idea of being out of its fence:)
  • edited November 2011
    you know it could be like an aligator... because of the size of the brain stem to brain size it snaps at and tries to eat anything that lands next to it. its an auto reflex that the animal cannot control, maybe that could explain the T-Rex's constant kill and eat mentatlity in the game...
  • edited November 2011
    I don't think they ever showed 1 goat as enough for a meal; yes they used a goat to try and lure it near the fence to show it off. But they never said it was a whole meal.
  • edited November 2011
    Lexxbomb wrote: »
    you know it could be like an aligator... because of the size of the brain stem to brain size it snaps at and tries to eat anything that lands next to it. its an auto reflex that the animal cannot control, maybe that could explain the T-Rex's constant kill and eat mentatlity in the game...

Could be. In the words of Dr. Sorkin, I wouldn't be surprised by anything thanks to Dr. Wu's slap-dash approach to gene manipulation.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.