Let me get this straight...

edited December 2011 in Jurassic Park
So, here's what I've gathered about Nedry, the Barbasol can, and the money:

- Nedry was to deliver the can to Miles at the dock. Miles would then take the evacuation boat disguised as an InGen employee and take the can to his superiors.
- After delivering the can, Nedry wouldn't be able to take the evacuation boat out because it would be too conspicuous after what he had done. So, he had a getaway boat on the north coast of the island. Someone was waiting on the boat with a bag of money: Nedry's payment.
- Miles hired Nima just in case things went awry, and of course they did. They waited until the last minute to go search for Nedry.
- The two were hoping to grab the can and make it back to the boat in time, but obviously that didn't happen.
- Miles died, but Nima learned about the importance of the Barbasol can. She somehow knew about the getaway boat, and so reaching it is her goal for the game.
- She didn't know about Nedry's payment, however, and this was a pleasant surprise for her in the good ending.

Any corrections, things to add or clear up? I'm just trying to keep the characters' actions and motivations straight.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Likely Miles told her about the second boat while they were walking in the jungle. Also, the second boat was likely a back-up plan in itself. Had Nedry missed the ship at the East Dock, he probably would've gone to the North Dock. Too bad for him. But yeah, I think that about covers it. Somewhere in Nedry's original plan, he would've gone back and set the systems back to normal before getting off the island, but we all know how that worked out.
  • edited December 2011
    It's Nedry's plan in the novel however to return to the control room and put the systems back online.
    6 minutes to east dock and 6 minutes back...
    12 minutes of absence and nobody would have known what happened.
    There are 2 docks in the novel too but East Dock is just a little one as an optional addition.
  • edited December 2011
    if you let nima die at the end, then they dont show the giant cash of money
  • edited December 2011
    Likely Miles told her about the second boat while they were walking in the jungle. Also, the second boat was likely a back-up plan in itself. Had Nedry missed the ship at the East Dock, he probably would've gone to the North Dock. Too bad for him. But yeah, I think that about covers it. Somewhere in Nedry's original plan, he would've gone back and set the systems back to normal before getting off the island, but we all know how that worked out.
    tope1983 wrote: »
    It's Nedry's plan in the novel however to return to the control room and put the systems back online.
    6 minutes to east dock and 6 minutes back...
    12 minutes of absence and nobody would have known what happened.
    There are 2 docks in the novel too but East Dock is just a little one as an optional addition.

Interesting! It's been years since I've read the novel, so I forgot Nedry was planning on turning the systems back on. I figured he was just going to get the heck out of there and let the park go to hell. This makes his North dock escape even more plausible.
  • edited December 2011
    The North Dock was the back-up escape for NIMA. That was her payment, not Nedry's.

Nedry was not supposed to leave the island.
  • edited December 2011
    MrSeyker wrote: »
    The North Dock was the back-up escape for NIMA. That was her payment, not Nedry's.

Nedry was not supposed to leave the island.

That makes sense, but why would the money be in the backup escape boat? Shouldn't it have been with Miles or on the evacuation boat? If things had gone according to plan, Nima would not have gotten her money right away. It would have been on a different boat.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah pretty sure Nedry in the film was supposed to just run and make the hand off and then come back.

Dodgson: ...the embryos have to be back here in San Jose by then.
    Nedry: That's up to your guy on the boat. 7 o'clock tomorrow night on the east dock, make sure he gets it right.
    Dodgson: How are you planning to beat security?
    Nedry: I got an eighteen minute window. Eighteen minutes, and your company catches up on ten years of research.
    Nedry: No, no, no listen to me. You've got to give me the time. I did a test run on this thing, it took me twenty minutes. I thought I could maybe push it to eighteen but you've got to at least give me fifteen minutes. Give me the fifteen minutes.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.