possible false positive from anti-virus

edited May 2007 in Game Support
Hi all, today when booting up my pc i got a warning from my Anti-virus (telus) saying the following:

A virus has been found

virus name:
W32/Downloader.DHA

Infected file:
D:\PROGRAM FILES\TELLTALE GAMES\SAM AND MAX - ABE LINCOLN MUST DIE\UNINSTALL SAM AND MAX - ABE LINCOLN MUST DIE.EXE

details:
The file couldn't be disinfected, and was deleted instead. Run the virus scan to verify that other files on your system are not infected.

Im pretty much 100% sure that this must be a false positive, i mean if you cant trust telltale who can you :P I just thought that i should let you guys know.

Also it seems that i no longer have the UNINSTALL SAM AND MAX - ABE LINCOLN MUST DIE.EXE file on my computer which will make it hard to unninstall when the need arises, should i still be able to do this with the add/remove progams dialog? or can i just get a replacement for the file itself?

Comments

• jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    It looks like it. That virus is an "old" (2005) trojan. Just to be sure:

a) Check your registry.
    Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If you find an entry called ".svchost" (note the point)
    which points to %SYSTEMROOT%\System\CSRSS.EXE (Replace %SystemRoot% with the directory where you installed Windows)

b) Search for a file called 'UDP_0001.exe' (number could change), at C:\TEMP

c) Search for a file named CSRSS.EXE at C:\Windows\System (change the disk drive with your windows disk) If you have Windows 2000/XP and you have that file at the System folder then it is a virus, do not attempt to delete the file on the System32 folder (This is a key OS file!)

If you find any of those your system is infected.
  • edited May 2007
    okay thanks for the tips :D
    i checked in all the places you mentioned and it all checks out, my system seems fine, ive had a few bizzare false positives with this isp specific anti-virus
    Hopefully i can figure out how to uninstall when the time comes, but i dont think that will be anytime soon
    Thanks Again :D
  • edited May 2007
    You should be able to reinstall the game to restore the uninstall app.
This discussion has been closed.