Fright of the Bumblebees: No launcher!

edited January 2012 in Game Support
I'm running Win7: x64. I've tried running the launcher in compatibility mode for XP and Vista... it just does NOT want to launch! Any ideas?
I've noticed that a lot of Telltale's games doesn't seem to want to run in Vista or 7 x64... why? Really, it's only a matter of installing the x64 compilertools for Visual Studio and doing a rebuild, and then publishing the rebuilt executables!
Are the programmers really that lazy?

New information

Ok, so I managed to launch the launcher by uninstalling LUA for Windows. Which is completely unacceptable. How do I install LUA and ensure I can still get the launcher to work?

Comments

• edited January 2012
    All of our games run in 64-bit versions of Windows. Have you tried right-click the game's executable and then clicking Run As Administrator?
  • edited January 2012
    This is strange, because when searching for solutions I came across several threads that mentioned issues with Vista x64, and I assumed the same was true for Windows 7 x64.
    Yeah, I tried this - no go!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2012
    So the installation worked, but the launcher seems to do nothing?

That sounds like an issue that occurs, if LUA for Windows is installed.
    If that's the case, you can remove the environment variable LUA_PATH, to get it working again.

Otherwise:
    Can you describe in more detail what happens after starting the Launcher?
    Does it show up in the Task Manager?
    Do you get any error Message?
  • edited January 2012
    Wtf?!
    Yes, I have LUA for Windows installed. By removing the environment variable, wouldn't that mean that applications (including my own) won't be able to find LUA? o_O
  • edited January 2012
    Hm, after searching some more, I came across this thread, where one poster said to make a *.bat file. I made one, like so:

set LUA_PATH=
    "F:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Wallace and Gromits Grand Adventures\Fright of the Bumblebees\WallaceGromit101.exe"

This time I actually got an error saying "Could not load game data".
    Then I realized that the link contained the path to start in, so I copied the shortcut from my desktop into the installation folder and pointed my *.bat to the shortcut. This time I expected it to work, but it closed without an error, as usual.

Do I *really* have to uninstall LUA?

Edit: I also tried set LUA_PATH="", with the same result.
  • edited January 2012
    Ok, I just uninstalled Lua, and now the Launcher works just fine, allthough it loads somewhat slowly.
    So my question just changed from "How do I launch the launcher?" to "How do I launch the launcher with LUA installed?"
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2012
    That poster was me ;) I was just writing about the batch file workaround, when i saw your new post.

I think i created the *.bat file in the installation folder next to the .exe, and then started the .exe in the *.bat file.
  • edited January 2012
    Isn't that what I'm doing?

My bat file looks like:

set LUA_PATH=
    "F:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Wallace and Gromits Grand Adventures\Fright of the Bumblebees\WallaceGromit101.lnk"

and it doesn't seem to work. And also... I'm surprised you managed to get it working by pointing to the exe and not to the link. Maybe Poker.exe doesn't require a path to the installation folder to work...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Afr0 wrote: »
    and it doesn't seem to work. And also... I'm surprised you managed to get it working by pointing to the exe and not to the link. Maybe Poker.exe doesn't require a path to the installation folder to work...

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but did you try a .bat like this, located directly in the installation folder?

set LUA_PATH=
    WallaceGromit101.exe
  • edited January 2012
    I made it work now, thanks!
    The thing that made the difference was that I actually had to *not* run it as an admin in order for it to work.
This discussion has been closed.