"Entry Point Not Found" error when starting Situation Comedy.

edited May 2007 in Game Support
I just installed Situation Comedy on my computer and was really looking forward to play it, Culture Shock was just so funny! The install went without problems but when starting the game the following error pops up:

"The procedure entry point AddVectoredExceptionHandler could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.DLL"

This happens right after clicking on the game icon. I figured that the problem is that I'm using Windows 2000, not XP as it says in the system requirements. But because Culture Shock worked fine I didn't think it would fail now. Any way of making the game work on Windows 2000?

Thanks

Xendra

Comments

• jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    Nope, unless TT builds a special EXE from the source without that API. That API is only available from XP (client) and Server 2003 (server).
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Sorry Xendra. :(

Apparently starting with Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 comes with compatibility mode. According to this website:
    Win2K machines with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later include a compatibility mode that lets programs run as if they were on a Windows NT 4.0 SP5 or Windows 95 box. To enable this interface, perform the following steps:

1. Start a Run box (Start, Run).
    2. Enter the following command:

regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

3. Click OK.
    4. Click OK to the confirmation.

If you right-click a shortcut and select Properties, you'll see a Compatibility tab that lets you select whether the program target should run under an NT 4.0 SP5 or Win95 compatibility layer.

I don't know if you can set the game to WinXP compatibility or not, and even if you can, I don't know if that will resolve the problem. But you could give it a try.
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    Unfortunately Compability only works downward (ie: Windows 2000 allows emulation up to Windows 98/Me)

The API is not physically in the Windows 2000 Kernel, and there are probably more XP APIs used in the game, the message only tells you of the first one the system can't find.

See the requirements of the API at MSDN
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms679274.aspx
    edited May 2007
    Thanks. :)

I know some people have been able to run the games on Windows 2000 even though it is not a supported OS.
  • edited May 2007
    So it seems there really isn't any possibility to play for me :(. I even tried the game on Linux with Wine and Cedega, Culture Shock worked fine but Situation Comedy didn't even start. Forgot to mention that I had the demo version of Situation Comedy, though i don't think it makes any difference. The domination of Windows makes me sad every once in a while...
    edited May 2007
    Xendra, are you a Season 1 customer? We can refund you since the games aren't working for you.
  • edited May 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Xendra, are you a Season 1 customer? We can refund you since the games aren't working for you.

Well you see, I got Culture Shock as a present and it worked, but Situation Comedy was just the demo version. I tried it first cause I had read about people having problems with Episode 2. Well, good thing I tried it :). So in the end there is no harm done, except for the fact I can't play the rest of the episodes :(. So no, there is no need for refunds, but I must say that I'm very impressed with Telltale Games and your policy, keep up the amazing customer service!
This discussion has been closed.